<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Haynes Roadster Build
alex1991

posted on 12/5/15 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you sir.
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 12/5/15 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
No worries My only concern with these is that I'll need to flare and weld some stub pipe onto each end to connect it to stuff - they didn't offer a clamped version!

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

alex1991

posted on 12/5/15 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure I saw clamped ends as an option.
I might message them and see if they do the clamped versions otherwise I'll have to take it to an exhaust place.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 13/5/15 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
They do a clamped version on some sizes, however those are the largest size they do with a 2.5" bore and they weren't offering it when I ordered them. I'm somewhat concerned they may be a little long with the collectors and cats, will have to get the wheel arches down to have a check.

40inches

posted on 14/5/15 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting build
Who made the prop? seems like a neat gearbox end fitting.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 14/5/15 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, it's definitely a learning process! Hopefully it'll be worth it, at the moment I've starting to wonder if doing both a custom exhaust and custom inlet is biting off too much to chew, but I'll give it a crack.
The propshaft was made by North West Propshafts, I have to say I am very pleased with their work - it matches the Jag and Sierra flanges very well.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 25/5/15 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Minor update: got a couple of hours in so fabricated\modified my exhaust mounts to support my beefy cans (hur hur hur). Got both sides done, so just (just!) the headers to do on the RHS and then I'll set about fully welding it. Wanted to get both sides done before fully welding in case something needed modifying, and to allow me to spread the welding out and hopefully limit warpage due to heat.

Also the bent components for the roll cage arrived, but numpty here managed to give the wrong dimensions for the rear roll bar. That'll teach me for doing it in a hurry! Don't suppose anyone wants an extra-width rear roll bar?

[Edited on 25/5/15 by Badger_McLetcher]

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 9/6/15 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Been a couple of weeks since I've updated this, so here goes:

I've mostly been doing the donkey work on the exhaust, it's nearly finished though. I'd have had it finished on Saturday, but ran out of gas... typical!

Kit of parts

Right hand done...

Left hand ALMOST done!

I've also had a pinking at a couple of little bits - the brake light switch and the cover for the front of the footwells.

This kind of shows my solution - I've made up a bracket out of 16swg onto which a microswitch is bolted - or at the moment held in with a couple of nails as I have no bolts of the right size! The bracket bolts into the pedal box, so it's adjustable with the pedal. I've welded a plate onto a nut which threads onto the pedal push rod (again allowing some adjustment) and is held in place with a locknut. Seems to work well enough for now but I've got some misgivings about the plate on the pushrod - may try to sandwich it between locknuts or even put some loctite on it to be sure.

Finally I've cut the top panels into shape, will rivet and bond them into place next weekend. The aluminium front of the scuttle will bolt down onto the top of these, probable via rivnuts.

And finally my new rollbar compared to the existing one... whoops...

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 21/7/15 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
So it's been a while again since an update; I've been busy but it's all been little bits really. This is the summary:

Got the inlet manifolds made up (I used Alu-Weld to join the tubes to the plates since my TIG welder couldn't put enough heat into it), modified the throttle bodies to accept bosch style injectors, made up some spacers and then assembled it all on top of the engine. An easy summary but there was a fair bit of detailed work involved! Also got the throttle cable set up sorted for now - I expect I'll have to tweak it a bit in the future (especially if I make some cam covers), but for now it proves that the throttle pedal has sufficient travel and both sets of bodies open equally.

I've also made a start on the rollcage - made the mounts, and notched the tubes. Turns out one side of the front rollbar is longer than the other, didn't notice it before the trial assembly! Just need to move the notch up a bit. Other than that it fits together quite well

[Edited on 22/7/15 by Badger_McLetcher]

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 4/8/15 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Sometimes you have to go backwards a bit to go forwards... after straightening up the front hoop I cut off the rear rail and pockets in order to gain enough access for the roll cage rear stays.

I made up some plates so the for the rear stays and welded them in.

Because the garage has a relatively low roof and the car is quite high on the build tunnel I'm having a hard time judging the position of the roof bars, so for now these will stay tacked only until I get it on the floor to have a proper look at it. I nearly got the rest of the welding finished last weekend, just a couple more bits to do and then I'm onto the cooling and fuel systems.

Need to get the seats in (if only temporarily) so I can make the harness mounts and I need to weld in a bracket to support the throttle cable and hold it clear of the exhaust. Also the garage needs a bloody good clean - it seems like it takes no time at all for everything to get covered in crap and dust
In preparation for getting on with my cooling system I've been eyeballing the radiator and nose positions; I'm not yet convinced that I can make them fit.

The radiator is from a Mk1 1.9D Clio and is a pretty tight fit within the nose cone - in the pictures below it's pretty much wedged in the nose but also pretty damn close to the front of the chassis. The original fan simply will not fit, so I'm either looking at a slim line one or a pair of motorbike ones.

Have I missed a trick here or something?

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 23/8/15 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Minor update- not had much time and it's been slow going when I have. Got the roll cage finished for now, including making up some spacer plates out of 5mm aluminium. This is so that the front roll cage mounts don't have to clamp the fibreglass bodywork (I'll "let" the plates into the side panels).

Got both the passengers and drivers seats in position, both mounted on runners. I've tried to keep the drivers one a bit more adjustable (there's a removable spacer in the mounts) so it can be adjusted in the future to suit someone who isn't me.

I've received my new radiator and fans - it's a 190E one and is considerably smaller than the Clio one, however it's also aluminium so hopefully it'll be up to the job with some ducting and good fans. The fans are SPAL units off Aprilia RSV's and cost me a grand total of about £30 Hopefully it'll all hang together Ok!

Finally I've had a quick go at knocking up some alternative mounts for my harness, after realising the original Haynes design may not pass the IVA. It's a bit rough at the moment but I think proves the principal.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 11/1/17 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Well.. it's been a while. Turns out I'm a bit crap at keeping a build thread going.

I'm toying with the idea of moving this to the projects section, but for now a quick update of what occurred over Christmas:

There's a couple of minor niggles but it runs quite nicely

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.