Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: progress at last
garyt

posted on 23/6/15 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Just a wee update, got my screen delivered yesterday so out tonight and after a little reshaping of the lower corners and inside edge of the uprights it was done , Trina helped while we fitted it , really happy with the fit to scuttle, no need to make up a fillet just some rubber T shape seal and a small filler on the inside front edge of the uprights
also we put the silver trs harnesses in really brings the whole colour scheme together.
next wipers washers and demist vents
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 23/6/15 by garyt]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

remember we are not mad just creatively insane !!!!!

garyt

posted on 23/6/15 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
should have said but if any one was wondering I used a wide westfield screen and uprights / mirrors onto a Gillham / Saturn scuttle.

Andybarbet

posted on 23/6/15 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good, I have the westfield screen uprights to go on mine, I also have a westfield screen fillet that looks like a very good fit on my scuttle :-)

Keep the updates coming

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

Vmax1974

posted on 23/6/15 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Saw the photos on roadster builders looking good
garyt

posted on 1/7/15 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
so while I wait for more bits to arrive I attacked the dash mdf shaped and cut out, layer of campmat rolled double thickness on lower edge to give a soft iva radii finished in the same leathercloth as the interior.

[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 1/7/15 by garyt]

garyt

posted on 12/7/15 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
so temporarily fitted the dash today , tidied up the scuttle paintwork from fitting the screen etc, will need to lift the screen to add the rubber seal when it comes, still a wee bit of wiring behind the dash to do and finish the heater installation. next is to sort out the column cover, and steering wheel / boss. lots of small jobs just now but still moving forward

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

garyt

posted on 20/12/15 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
ok so not updated for a wee while..... cos the brakes were doing my head in to put it mildly. days spent fiddling and pumping and it felt like it would never get there
so I got a focus reservoir made a bracket piped it into some adapters on the mx5 m/c filled with fluid and 30 mins later had brakes filled , bled and working

so today sorted out rear camber / toe settings went for -1 on camber we'll see how that goes and 0 toe in, had to do the nearside twice as first time round did +1 deg duhh , put on new hub nuts and spacers to fill out the arches. looks a lot better finished off the heater screen ducting not a great amount of air but enough to show demisting
Hopefully I'll get my prop back Tuesday then I can get that in and the g/box , turret oils in and checked.

The handbrake is doing my head in at the moment but I'll get there.
ordered some rack stops and gland covers for the steering arms and top drag links, prop catchers (just in case ) and a wideband o2 kit
still need a connector plug for a focus brake reservoir with some wire on ,if anyone has one.....

so after a brain dead exercise I have 2 pairs of LARGE rear hub nuts (mx5) if anyone needs them , (yes I did it twice for some reason unknown to mankind ) think these are the mk1 size nuts.

so a list of jobs to do at work... ahem.... bend handbrake brackets, shorten front hand brake actuater and cut out boot lid, I made the template and marked the ali out today, that should keep me busy for a few days over the hols.
also started to sort out invoices and paperwork as hoping to be ready to apply for my iva before long

garyt

posted on 23/12/15 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
got a couple of hours today , I got my propshaft back and after a scare as to why it wont go into the gearbox except with the assistance of a big hammer, I gave the tail a quick clean up and an oil and in it went ... relieved or what , so then started putting the handbrake back together.
getting small jobs done and the list is coming down quickly now
next few days I will have to do the "Christmas" thing then I can get back to it

merry Christmas everyone

garyt

posted on 29/12/15 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
well its cold but nae wooly hat cold so.... out I went fastened down the rear handbrake cables so they don't touch anything .
Then made the boot lid a bit of a faff about but I'm happy with it and it looks a lot better than a gaping hole, at some point I will make an inner box for a few odds and ends.

[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

garyt

posted on 30/12/15 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
gale force winds and rain so didn't go out till lunchtime stripped front n/s and rebuilt with lock stop in the steering rack ( will remove after iva as it really has restricted the lock but nothing is stressed or touching) and gland covers over the track rod nuts and drag link nuts. Doesn't sound much but took a couple of hours, so other side tomorrow

garyt

posted on 31/12/15 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
well it was dry and not windy but very cold, snow forcast for the hills tonight any way got the other front side done lock stop in gaiters and gland covers on and all put back together, put the battery back in and it aint starting not even turning over so I will have to trace that next,
one step forward and one back.... lol.....

anyway happy new year to everyone and hope you all have a good one

garyt

posted on 2/1/16 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
well spent ages with checking all the fuses, fuel pump priming, everything else working lights, blower indicators etc, could here the relay clicking but no turnover .... so check battery volts = good, check + at starter = good, grabbed a passing young lad and asked him to hit the key while I checked the solenoid + = good ...., so after sqeezing a torch and mirror underneath the heavy wire from the solenoid to the starter is corroded so pulled it out and just bought a 2nd hand one so hopefully once its here we will be sorted.
after that malarkey I trimmed the wishbone/ rack openings in the side panels, that's it for today

garyt

posted on 4/1/16 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
well catching up with all the wee jobs , so filled the gearbox and turret with oil, wrapped the exhaust manifold and cat, trimmed the handbrake and gear lever, put clips on the bottom side of trans tunnel top to catch on chassis rails and put gear knob on. hopefully starter motor will be here tomorrow and I can get that in... then back to work on wednesday so it will be back to weekends on the car

garyt

posted on 9/1/16 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
well the thread title says "progress at last" well very little today , welded in my vin number plate PLEASE NOTE IT IS A PIG TO DO NOW so a word to the wise apply early on in your build and do it before you get to far on.
A wee something to smile about though, after being not very happy with the quality of the chrome headlights I bought and weeping at the price of stainless ones I found an ad for stainless 7" headlight bowls in the states , said they were happy to ship and it cost me under £100 the pair shipped and with priority customs clearance. so the postie delivered them today and I fitted them very happy with them and the service, we will see how the quality bares up with british weather but it cant be any worse than the others.
on a down side I still have a starting problem (details in "electrics" ) and its causing me some grief.......... I need to sort this out before I can do anything else

garyt

posted on 10/1/16 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
haha sorted, IT'S STARTING, some idiot (me) had made a mistake when I wired in the switches which meant I was dropping voltage on start, so a wee bit of rewiring and its starting on the key
so with her starting again , drained and refilled with anti freeze in the cooling system, ran it so all could come up to temp and surprise surprise my red exhaust wrap isn't red no more ... oh well such is life .
Soooo with all ok I tried moving her under her own power for the first time in the courtyard , just forwards and back and round a bit , what a moment stupidest grin you've ever seen ... lol , I think I need to cut the lock stops down as they really have limited the steering lock so I will pull that apart again and adjust

garyt

posted on 14/1/16 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
day off work today so pulled the steering rack ends apart and chopped my lock stops in half. its a lot better but I could have taken a bit more off.. maybe later.
it's snowing now and the beach is 50 yards away !!!
made up and painted my battery strap, and picked up my vin plate from the trophy shop , masked the details so that they are in little boxes as per iva manual and sprayed the remainder black. so once dry that will go onto the bulkhead. Incidentally I opted to leave off the max permissible weights, as in the notes it says these are optional, so one less thing to be pulled up on.... I hope.
my list is getting shorter
Im trying to come up with a neater idea for the steering column / stalk covers as I'm not 100% happy with what i've done but if the push comes to the shove it will do for now
oh and my boost gauge is reading back to front ...lol I need to reconfigure the plumbing of it and I have a wideband sensor etc to fit to see what the fuelling is up to

garyt

posted on 16/1/16 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
redid my column/switch covers and I'm a lot happier with them, changed some non std fuel pipes for pipes with the required std on them tidied and secured the headlight / repeater wiring and fitted the wideband sensor / controller (and its still starting and running )
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 16/1/16 by garyt]

garyt

posted on 16/1/16 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
oh I tried replumbing the boost gauge into the plenum just after the t/b but its still reading negative, any ideas on how it should be plumbed in ?

garyt

posted on 16/1/16 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
ok after a bit of research it IS meant to read -10 at idle and 0 before start up !!!! so I guess I will put a few revs on and see what it reads as they rise.
I was confused by it reading 0 when I turned the key on and then it going to -10 on start up, still don't understand why but we will see, so ignore the previous question

garyt

posted on 23/1/16 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
just in and managed to get some wee jobs taken care of and crossed of the list, quite chuffed as attached the bulkhead vin plate, doesn't sound like a big step but it makes it feel official , also scary as it means its getting close to iva application time
spoke to a very nice lady at vosa yesterday as their website didn't include Aberdeen test station and I thought that I would have to go to Edinburgh, lol , straight to the test and straight home officer, yes 500 miles round trip, after she finished laughing she did confirm that Aberdeen do the test. So it will only be 60 miles each way.
Any way I'm going over and over the car trying to be brutally honest with myself and be critical of everything, once I think I'm close I will try the local garage to do an emission test so I can see where I am on that.
Gary

garyt

posted on 6/2/16 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
thought I would share a few up to date pics of her
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

found a couple more things to sort out but I'm getting there,

garyt

posted on 7/2/16 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
well got the headlights shining the right way today and went and saw a friend who is going to put the car on the headlamp aim at the garage and pushed my luck so he is going to do an emission run and brake test as well , next Saturday is mums birthday so it will be a fortnight after that at 7am
"If you don't mind being early just bring me a bottle of malt" was his comment so sorted at least till I see what happens .....
so I need to crack on with a few other jobs and have a bit of a push. I have in my head to aim for iva before easter if I can

garyt

posted on 20/2/16 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
ok so today I sent off my iva application, said that she would be available for testing the week commencing 21 march at Aberdeen ...... gulp

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

nervously happy..... I think, now what all needs doing?

OliilO

posted on 20/2/16 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've just moved to Kinloss and hope to get my car up here around Easter time, so would be keen to meet up for some blats once you're on the road and the weather has improved a bit! There seem to be cracking roads pretty much everywhere...
garyt

posted on 20/2/16 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
hi and welcome to the frozen north
must be a shock to your system coming from sunnier southern climes..... yes it would be great to meet up, there is a bit of 7 activity up this way with a plethora of westies, caterhams , robin hoods as well.
Worth getting on the westie site and look out for "clan McWesty" events, a couple planned trips being applecross weekend of june 17/19 camping road trips and a fair bit of craic. also there is a Scottish tour being organised by a lad from Yorkshire the following week being based around Killin (Tayside) doing a loop eastwards round stonehaven, cairngorm , killin another going to skye .
And there is the north west 500 to do as well
There are tons of great routes to attack
Feel free to drop me a line any time Regards Gary

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.