Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Derk's Haynes Roadster Build
Derkjohn

posted on 17/8/14 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Derk's Haynes Roadster Build

Hi Guys

My name is Derk. I live in Johannesburg, South Africa with my beautiful wife Katie.

I've been building a Haynes roadster for the last four months or so and have learned so much by reading other peoples builds on this forum. I'll post some of the pics of my build up that will hopefully be of help to other builders.

[Edited on 17/8/14 by Derkjohn]

Derkjohn

posted on 17/8/14 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Laying out the first tubes

Description
Description

So this is how it started. I built a table out of some ply wood and 75mm x50mm. The tubes for the frame are 25mm x 25mm and are 1.6 mm thick

Derkjohn

posted on 17/8/14 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

The nose section being built up. The book was a bit confusing on the developed length I thought. But that might just have been my ignorance

Description
Description

More tubes being tacked together

Derkjohn

posted on 17/8/14 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
This is the donor vehicle I bought a few weeks into the build. It is a 1990 2L Ford Sapphire (I think these are exclusive to South Africa) but all the suspension and drive train components are the same as the Sierra.
Description
Description

Some of the parts that I stripped out
Description
Description

The rear brakes are drums, but I have since bought a 1991 3L (essex) Sapphire and will be using the discs from that

Derkjohn

posted on 17/8/14 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

Description
Description

Making the rear shock and roll bar supports

Description
Description

Description
Description

Trail fitting the engine

Description
Description

I decided to weld the diff mounts directly onto the chassis. Simplify and add lightness

Slimy38

posted on 17/8/14 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derkjohn
Description
Description

The nose section being built up. The book was a bit confusing on the developed length I thought. But that might just have been my ignorance

The nose section in the book is wrong, from memory one of the measurements is too short and the angles don't quite make sense. So I'm not surprised you were confused!!

Have you looked at the amendment that are on the Haynes forum;

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2430

You're probably already a fair bit through but it might still be worth looking at them.

maccmike

posted on 17/8/14 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thats great Derk but can we see pictures of Katie please
Derkjohn

posted on 17/8/14 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by Derkjohn
Description
Description

The nose section in the book is wrong, from memory one of the measurements is too short and the angles don't quite make sense. So I'm not surprised you were confused!!

Have you looked at the amendment that are on the Haynes forum;

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2430

You're probably already a fair bit through but it might still be worth looking at them.

Thanks Slimy. I ended up finding the length by matching it to the jig. It seemed to have worked out ok.

Derkjohn

posted on 17/8/14 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

I decided to lower the back of the transmission tunnel to give me some more elbow space.

Description
Description
Description
Description

Here is what I did for the pedals. I figured I would try to get the standard Sierra pedals to fit to save the effort of building them from from scratch. So far it seems to be working great! I hope I don't run into trouble later on.

Derkjohn

posted on 17/8/14 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike
Thats great Derk but can we see pictures of Katie please

Lol, she would kill me

garyt

posted on 17/8/14 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
welcome Derk, great work so far keep us posted and good luck with the build, don't be shy to ask questions as there is a wealth of knolage on here, oh by the way we like pics
gary

garyt

posted on 17/8/14 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
welcome Derk, great work so far keep us posted and good luck with the build, don't be shy to ask questions as there is a wealth of knolage on here, oh by the way we like pics
gary

big_wasa

posted on 17/8/14 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Nice to see a scratch build these days. Be warned making one change to the book can have so many knock on changes down the road.

Like have you left enough room for the hand brake cables / Fuel pipes and electrics in the rear of the tunnel ?

Derkjohn

posted on 17/8/14 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description
Description
Description

Making up the suspension brackets. I managed to make 16 of them only to realise the were 10mm to short. Once I had re-cut them again I made a little jig to help me bend them at the correct length.

Description
Description

The floors are made from 1mm mild steal. I put two diagonal bend lines on each to help prevent the drumming effect once welded. This worked well for the front section, however I didn't bend the back as that's where the seat supports go. I ended up having to heat shrink the back section to get it tight.

Description
Description

Radiator mountings. I realised that the books radiator is mounted upside down

Description
Description
Description
Description

Description
Description
Description
Description

I'm making my scuttle out of steel and aluminium plate.

Description
Description

Red Oxide!

Description
Description

This is where I'm at now. I painted the frame with red oxide followed by a product called Raptor liner by U-pol. Its usually used to line pick-up truck loading bays but I thinned it down and applied it with a standard spray gun, except on the floors where I used a textured effect spray gun.

Derkjohn

posted on 17/8/14 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Nice to see a scratch build these days. Be warned making one change to the book can have so many knock on changes down the road.

Like have you left enough room for the hand brake cables / Fuel pipes and electrics in the rear of the tunnel ?

I've checked that the handbrake cables will go in and put the bracket at an angle to compensate.
Description
Description

The wiring and brake/fuel pipes will be tight but I think it should fit

Derkjohn

posted on 17/8/14 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Engine

Description
Description
Description
Description

Here's a bit of info on the engine. Its a 2.0 L pinto. The 2.9 cosworth pistons that seem quite popular in the UK aren't available in SA as we only ever had the Ford v6 in the Essex version. So the pistons are just 1mm oversize standard pistons. I've had the flywheel lightened and the bottom end balanced. Other than that it's stock. On the head side of things I've opted for a 288 deg camshaft and I've gas-flowed the head with the help of David Vissard's book. The plan is to run a set of R1 throttle bodies that I have. They are the ones that still have the vacuum operated venturi but also run fuel injectors. Apparently they only came out for a year or so after which the R1's ran normal throttle bodies.

Derkjohn

posted on 17/8/14 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Seats

Description
Description
Description
Description

These are the seats I'm using. I found them in a beach buggy in a scrap yard. They were slightly to wide, but as they are made from steel tubing I was able to bend the edges in and make them fit I then had them re-covered for R1700 (90£) Not bad eh?

coozer

posted on 17/8/14 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Looking like a good build there Derk, keep up the good work.

Get Katie to sit in the car and make the brum brum noises and post the pic

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Slater

posted on 17/8/14 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Good work Derk, where did you the get the seats recovered? I need the same done to my pair. That seems like a good price.

Where are you in Jo'burg? I am in Fourways area, i just got a seven 3 weeks ago and am slowly getting it up to spec.
Keith

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Derkjohn

posted on 18/8/14 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
Good work Derk, where did you the get the seats recovered? I need the same done to my pair. That seems like a good price.

Where are you in Jo'burg? I am in Fourways area, i just got a seven 3 weeks ago and am slowly getting it up to spec.
Keith

I'm just down the road from you, 1km past Kya Sands. I used a guy in Honeydew called Vinhod. His number is 0117947379

Slater

posted on 18/8/14 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks i will call him tomorrow

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Derkjohn

posted on 12/10/14 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Update on build

I've managed to get a bit more done over the last few weeks.

Description
Description

The engine, diff and gearbox has been fitted.

Description
Description
Description
Description

Front wishbones being made up.

Description
Description

Front suspension complete

Description
Description

The brakes are from a 3.0L Sierra and are slightly larger than the 2.0l brakes. I wanted 3.0 discs as these have discs on the rear opposed to the 2.0l which has drums. And yes, I couldn't resist painting the callipers red

[Edited on 12/10/14 by Derkjohn]

Derkjohn

posted on 12/10/14 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Alternative design for rear uprights

I've been thinking about re-designing the rear uprights for my Haynes Roadster. The book uprights seem unnecessarily complicated and heavy compared to other designs I have seen. I've drawn up some plans for some uprights which should be a lot easier to make up. The suspension geometry remains the same as the original uprightsI would value your opinions and ideas on these.
Description
Description

rallyelwood

posted on 10/2/15 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Derk.

Me and my borther have just started building our Haynes Roadster, and I'm thinking about a re-designed rear upright similar to what you are thinking, and for the same reasons.

My first thought was that the sides (between the upper and lower a-arms mounting points) should be one continuous piece without welds, for better safety. Then I also thought that it should be able to design the upright with fewer parts.

This is what I came up with, but we haven't decided which design we should use... The benefit with the original design is that the cross-section of a circle is stiffer (flexes less) than the cross-section of a sqaure.

Saab 99 GLT16 -84
Kobolt Runabout mkI -?? (Haynes Roadster)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.