Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Drive shaft CV boots
chris68

posted on 27/4/15 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Drive shaft CV boots

Hi guys,

Whats the consensus of opinion with regard securing boots to shafts? The metal clips I have found are a pain to get even and tight, particularly when everything is covered in grease! so I was looking at other options. Has anyone used large width (5mm+) cable ties? For the record the drive shafts are from a Mazda MX-5 and the large metal clips are ok to get tight but its the small ones on the actual shaft that are a fiddle. There is a good recess in the shaft so the cable tie would get a good purchase and would seem to be very strong. I have seen them used regularly on the boots on steering racks but these only move from side to side and a little up and down and don't rotate. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Chris

whitestu

posted on 27/4/15 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've used cable ties on FWD boots with no probs in the past. You are better off with the type with a metal rather than plastic ratchet though if you can get hold of them as they are much stronger.

[Edited on 27/4/15 by whitestu]

CosKev3

posted on 28/4/15 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
If you use the proper pliers to clamp the metal clips down you won't find a better way of securing.

Cable ties are ok, just ensure there is no grease between the boot and the cv joint before tightening down.

Slimy38

posted on 28/4/15 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
I've used cable ties before now, although I do wonder about the tiny gap that the head leaves. Because the strap enters the head at right angles, there is a portion of the rubber that isn't secured by the tie. I've never had anything leak out of them though.

I just don't like the look of them, they strike me as 'bodge' every time I see them. That's fine for the £400 banger that I was doing it on, not so much for what will be my pride and joy.

nickm

posted on 28/4/15 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
My driveshafts are still to turn in anger but if you get a set of "nail puller pliers" (dont know the official title) get as tight as possible with metal ones and crimp they are very tight, the crimp actually gathers up the last few mm of slack, they must be much tighter than plastic. You can find them on e-bay.

Nick M

gremlin1234

posted on 28/4/15 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
a set of "nail puller pliers" (dont know the official title)
pincers

nickm

posted on 29/4/15 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thats what i was looking for
chris68

posted on 29/4/15 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I will persevere then with the proper jobs, I have got a pair of those metal pliers designed for the job - probably just my technique!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.