Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Haynes BMW 6pot build back on, at last!!
Nickp

posted on 15/6/15 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Haynes BMW 6pot build back on, at last!!

After 3.5yrs on hold due to a garage extension, MR2 V6 build, Monte engine rebuild etc etc, I'm finally back at the point where I can re-start my Haynes build.

This was where I started back in 2011

http://forum.ppcmag.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9383&hilit=roadster&sid=aa7bd3bb9cf213bc283e6e61ff4bf446

Pretty grubby after its lay up-

So a quick was down and dry off in the sun before going back into the garage-

Space cleared and floor painted. Shelves are currently overloaded with the rest of the parts for the build-

All I need now is TIME, oh and a Digidash, exhaust, pedal box etc etc

[Edited on 15/6/15 by Nickp]

kitcardirect

posted on 15/6/15 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi looking good and great to see you back on track,

If you need any body work, we can supply this, and you can get 10% off the retail with a discount code,

u2u me if you are interested,

Regards
Sean

KCD

http://www.kitcardirect.co.uk/

Follow Us On Facebook : http://on.fb.me/1KYgL8N

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nickp

posted on 15/6/15 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kitcardirect
Hi looking good and great to see you back on track,

If you need any body work, we can supply this, and you can get 10% off the retail with a discount code,

u2u me if you are interested,

Regards
Sean

KCD

I've got a full set of brand new bodywork already ta, but will be needing plenty of bits and bobs along the way so will bear you in mind

kitcardirect

posted on 15/6/15 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
no problem

best of luck with the build, should be a nice car with that engine in,

Cheers
sean
KCD

http://www.kitcardirect.co.uk/

Follow Us On Facebook : http://on.fb.me/1KYgL8N

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 15/6/15 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome to see you're back on it! I've since chosen to go a different way (V6) but there's anything I can help with give me a yell.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Nickp

posted on 15/6/15 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher
Awesome to see you're back on it! I've since chosen to go a different way (V6) but there's anything I can help with give me a yell.

Cheers fella

Nickp

posted on 15/6/15 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
And so it begins....again...

SteveWallace

posted on 15/6/15 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Good to see that your build is back on track. If you need any advice on the BMW lump that might stop you tearing your hair out at the same points in the build as I did, just let me know.

After a year of having the car on the road, I can confirm that its a great engine choice. I've still not got around to doing the M50 manifold conversion though - a job for next winter.

[Edited on 15/6/15 by SteveWallace]

Nickp

posted on 15/6/15 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
Good to see that your build is back on track. If you need any advice on the BMW lump that might stop you tearing your hair out at the same points in the build as I did, just let me know.

After a year of having the car on the road, I can confirm that its a great engine choice. I've still not got around to doing the M50 manifold conversion though - a job for next winter.

[Edited on 15/6/15 by SteveWallace]

Ta Steve, will do.
Hope the M50 conversion is easier to do with the engine in a kit cos it's a PITA in a BMW!!

rodgling

posted on 15/6/15 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
It's not particularly hard but I have to say I didn't feel it was worth the effort/cost when I had a 328 in mine.
Nickp

posted on 16/6/15 at 05:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
It's not particularly hard but I have to say I didn't feel it was worth the effort/cost when I had a 328 in mine.

I found it more fiddly than hard and it certainly took a lot longer to do than it first appeared it would. My manifold was free of a mate so can't really comment on cost TBH. I fitted a 'remapped' ECU (ABS/EWS deleted too) at the same time and really noticed the difference when it was in the old 328i but maybe that was because the car was heavy and really needed the extra poke? I've not driven one yet but I'm guessing the 328i lump in a '7' will be pretty mental even in std form?

Nickp

posted on 16/6/15 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thought I'd trial fit the front bodywork for inspiration-

rodgling

posted on 16/6/15 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
quote:

I found it more fiddly than hard and it certainly took a lot longer to do than it first appeared it would. My manifold was free of a mate so can't really comment on cost TBH. I fitted a 'remapped' ECU (ABS/EWS deleted too) at the same time and really noticed the difference when it was in the old 328i but maybe that was because the car was heavy and really needed the extra poke? I've not driven one yet but I'm guessing the 328i lump in a '7' will be pretty mental even in std form?

Yeah it is pretty quick, and an M3 will drop in when you need more :-)

With a remapped ECU the manifold might be a good option - I had a standard ECU and found the dip in torque more noticeable than the increase in power, but I think the remap should fix this. You'll definitely want an ECU that has the redline raised from the standard 6200 though.

Nickp

posted on 16/6/15 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
quote:

Yeah it is pretty quick, and an M3 will drop in when you need more :-)

With a remapped ECU the manifold might be a good option - I had a standard ECU and found the dip in torque more noticeable than the increase in power, but I think the remap should fix this. You'll definitely want an ECU that has the redline raised from the standard 6200 though.

Yeah my rev-limit was raised to 7krpm at the same time as the remap and the real difference is the extra pull from 5-7krpm where the std 'skinny runner' inlet manifold holds it back. Deffo a worthwhile mod in my book especially if the car's used on track where the extra revs will come in handy

rodgling

posted on 16/6/15 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, let me know if you figure out how to make it quiet enough to go on track :-) Mine is pretty borderline even with an 8" can. Possibly being on TBs makes it worse though?
Nickp

posted on 16/6/15 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yeah, let me know if you figure out how to make it quiet enough to go on track :-) Mine is pretty borderline even with an 8" can. Possibly being on TBs makes it worse though?

Hmmm, could be a while before I can help with that mate.

Nickp

posted on 22/6/15 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Settled on a single welded in brace at the front of the seats to prevent any potential flexing in the middle of the floor and protect the leading edge of my arse!!

One floor panel cut to size, just waiting for the 4mm stainless rivets to arrive-

benedwards64

posted on 29/6/15 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Nick! Will be watching with interest
Nickp

posted on 6/7/15 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Drivers side floor now finished and seat trial fitted into position. Feels nice and solid

Time to start on the passenger side now I'm happy the floor is nice and solid.

Nickp

posted on 7/7/15 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thought I'd replace the sticky old bush in the steering column while I was on with sorting the seating position. Nice shiny self centering bearing and all spins nice and freely now

Nickp

posted on 9/7/15 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Got both side floors fixed in now and both seats trial fitted. A little low at present but easily remedied with some spacers once I know the height of the seat belt mountings on the rear rollbar-

Nickp

posted on 26/7/15 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Productive weekend in the 'man cave'.

Engine successfully lowered to clear the bodywork. Engine mounts chopped and tacked in new position. Gearbox mount totally remade.

Sump now chopped to get some ground clearance back.

Additional engine bay brace added, leaving just enough room for the alternator.

Strengthening web added to replace brace bar that was removed to allow engine to fit.

Nickp

posted on 27/7/15 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
An evenings tinkering has seen the gear-change sorted.

The rear 'spike' of the original BMW gear linkage slots into a nylon / plastic bush I drilled out to size. The bush slots nicely into a piece of tube I found which in turn was welded onto a piece of bar. Tabs were welded onto the chassis and drilled through to bolt the bar onto. Gearstick now falls neatly to hand when seated and clears the dashboard too

Nickp

posted on 3/8/15 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Sump's now finished. Just need to measure how much capacity I've lost. I intend to fit a big oil cooler (possibly 30 row) to gain a bit of capacity back and keep cool what I do have.

Nickp

posted on 3/8/15 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Been looking at exhaust manifold routing. The rear one clashes with the bulkhead and wants to be where the master cylinders want to be too. So I've turned it upside down, chopped the end off and re-positioned it so the lambda sensor no longer hits the head. It should now poke out the side of the bonnet and I can turn the front one to poke out of the side panel just below it. Hopefully it should work but I'm just tacking it together for now until I have a final plan for the exhaust.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.