Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zx9r clutch arm
cfc999

posted on 7/2/17 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
zx9r clutch arm

I'm trying to connect the clutch arm to my clutch pedal on my zx9r powered striker.
The engine was previously fitted to a tiger and it looks like the arm has been modified.
Am I right in thinking the clutch cable would normally run through the bracket bolted to the clutch casing and into the arm.
My clutch arm is now pointing away from the engine directly above the black plastic screw cap. This changes the direction of pull making the bracket mentioned obsolete.
The direction of pull is now towards my pedal box but I'm not sure how I'm going to brace the clutch cable
Anyone experienced similar problems.
I was thinking buying a zx9r clutch cable. The distance from my clutch arm to my clutch pedal is 50cm.
Hope this makes sense.

flanders

posted on 8/2/17 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
my old zx9 set up was as you mentioned, the lever arm had been cut off and re-welded at a different angle, so instead of the cable sweeping down the car and back round towards the clutch arm as normal, it pulled straight directly towards the pedal.

if you cant make a bracket to hold the cable end, easiest solution is replace the clutch arm (which just lifts out of the clutch cover) with an un modified one , and get a 1.65m cable.

i have a spare used clutch arm as it happens

cfc999

posted on 8/2/17 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply. I was planning on trying to keep things as simple as possible by using a original clutch cable and attaching it in the standard fashion.
Is there any reason why I can't do this or has the clutch arm been modified because the original why of fitting it wont work.
Depending on which route I take I might be interested in your standard clutch arm.
Cheers
Chris

flanders

posted on 8/2/17 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
If im understanding correctly then you cant attach it in the original as the arm has been modified to pull in a different direction (pulling towards the pedal) from the way it was in the bike (pulling towards the passenger side of the car).

the only way you can use the arm you have is to make a bracket to hold the clutch cable adjuster in the new (modified) position.

I dont see the need to buy a Kawasaki clutch cable, just but a universal cable and make it to suit, its very simple

cfc999

posted on 8/2/17 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yes that's the problem I've got.
Use the modified clutch arm and fabricate a bracket or replace the modified arm with an original one and use the bike bracket.
Out of interest how much would you want for your original clutch arm.

Tangerine Scream

posted on 17/2/17 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for coming to the party late!

If it was me, I'd revert to an original clutch arm and the bike bracket.
(and use a longer cable as Mr Flanders suggested)

My reason is that if the clutch pedal doesn't have a decent stop on it, when the pedal is depressed, the clutch arm can be pulled too far, which wears the little cup at the bottom end of the arm. Eventually, the cup wears so much that the arm no longer operates the clutch.... one of my learning experiences

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.