Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LED Lamps
Replicar328

posted on 8/9/20 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
LED Lamps

Hi,

I've bought a LAND ROVER DEFENDER FULL INDICATOR SIDE STOP LIGHT LAMP SET KIT on Ebay - there are a number of sellers - with the intention of using these on my replica oldtimer. I've also ordered a couple of samples of "Car 1156 BA15S 382 P21W 12 COB SMD LED 2W Turn Tail Backup Reverse Light Bulb UK" which look like they mimic conventional 21W bulbs, but actually consume only 2W.

I plan to try to adjust the brightness with a PWM signal and wonder if this will satisfy the requirements Of the IVA? The IVA section 20, "installation of lights" says "The brightness of lamps bearing an appropriate approval mark defines the acceptable standard. Lamps not bearing such a mark should emit light of similar brightness." In this case my lamps won't have "an appropriate approval mark" but can test the lumens with a meter I have, and compare with my other car.

In particular, I'd like to use the same LED 'bulb' for the braking light and the rear (red) light, just by altering the brightness.

Does anyone have experience of this with regards to the IVA test? It would significantly reduce the rat's nest of wiring, and allow me to add some nice features to monitor for under or over current

Many thanks
Adrian

Deckman001

posted on 8/9/20 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I can't help with most lighting issues for IVA as I'm still waiting for a date from them. But when i replaced my side repeater 21w lights with LED lights instead, I had to change the relay for the flasher and hazards as the new bulbs didn't take enough load to keep the relay flashing correctly. Although a new relay did only cost about a fiver and easy to replace though.
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/9/20 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds like a lot of bother to remove one wire imo. You can get approved LED lights for defenders or go to car builder solutions and download their catalogue, they have a huge range of lights. I have some LED brake/tail light bulbs and they do vary the brightness for both functions, the just have the normal two pins.

One thing I will say is keep it simple for the IVA, don't over complicate things, do all the fancy stuff after the test.

[Edited on 8/9/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Replicar328

posted on 8/9/20 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Good tip, thank you. Since I'm incorporating a small processor to handle the PWM signals into Mosfets to drive the brake/rear lights, I'll try to incorporate the flashing signal into the processor output!

Good luck with the IVA

Replicar328

posted on 8/9/20 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Good tip, thank you. Since I'm incorporating a small processor to handle the PWM signals into Mosfets to drive the brake/rear lights, I'll try to incorporate the flashing signal into the processor output!

Good luck with the IVA

Replicar328

posted on 8/9/20 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mr Whippy, fair point, I've enough to do without fussing over complicated electrics....
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 11/9/20 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Fit an Alan Boxshall premier wiring loom in and forget about it.
Its a fun car and keep it simple.
When you have a problem in the middle of the Italian Alps or Romanian Fagas rally believe me you will wish it was simple.

Starting to canbus stuff adds unnecessary complexity and adds to the stress of maintaining it.
better to be driving than wasting it spannering with the scarce source called TIME

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.