Board logo

Wheel spacers
alex1991 - 9/6/15 at 09:17 PM

My rear wheels don't clear the callipers so I'm looking to space the rear wheels out a little (16 to 20mm)

Read a few threads and some say hubcentric spacers with extended studs are better and then others say hubcentric bolt on spacers are better.

Also if I go for extended studs is it easy to remove the old studs? I presume I can just knock them out?

Thanks

mcerd1 - 9/6/15 at 09:33 PM

Hub centric is always the answer unless your only spacing it by a couple of mm.

Longer studs is the better option - then you've got one continuous bolt/stud clamping the wheels to the hubs, with no intermediate bolts to slacken off and much less reliance on the strength of the spacers

quote:
Originally posted by alex1991
Also if I go for extended studs is it easy to remove the old studs? I presume I can just knock them out?

generally yes, but what hubs have you got ?

alex1991 - 9/6/15 at 09:43 PM

I'm not entirely sure what I have at the rear. Its ford and likely Sierra based, 7 inch diff with push in drive shafts but with callipers.
Just been to have a look and it looks quite easy to access the rear studs once the disc is off.

I think I will go for extended studs and hubcentric spacers. The bolt on spacers can get quiet expensive for a decent brand wheras decent normal spacers are much cheaper.

Paul AS - 9/6/15 at 10:42 PM

I've been using hubcentric spacers with longer studs for a couple of years now. Easy conversion and rock solid handling.

Ive got two pairs of hub buddies spacers that I no longer use due to a change of wheels recently.

Both ford 4x108 with 63.4mm centres. One pair is 16mm, the other 20mm.

£15 per pair posted if they are any use to you.

Paul

loggyboy - 10/6/15 at 03:46 AM

As above, if only a few mm ~5mm, then any slip on spacer isvok. Between about 10 and 15mm hubcentric with extended studs are ok, but anything more than 15mm I would want to use bolt ons.