Board logo

Electric handbrake for MSVA and other handbrake questions
dan8400 - 10/8/19 at 10:29 AM

Hi everyone

Does anyone know the legality of using electric handbrakes for trikes (and maybe other kit cars)?

I am tight for space in my single seater reverse trike and thought this would be a good solution.

Failing that, does anyone know which cars/trucks I could poach a pull out handbrake from?
I am sure I’ve driven something before that the handbrake pulled out of the dash and twisted to release. Can’t remember what though.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome

Thanks
Dan

tegwin - 10/8/19 at 10:41 AM

Older circa 2006 Touareg had a foot operated handbrake and a pull release of That’s any help.

dan8400 - 10/8/19 at 10:43 AM

Thanks for the reply. I had looked into the foot park brake option, but, I think I’d be a bit tight to the other pedals.

Good idea though, it’s another interesting option

Thanks
Dan

russbost - 10/8/19 at 10:45 AM

Can't see why electric handbrake should be an issue, tho' not sure how they'd check efficiency as they are simply on or off, be interested to see what you come up with as something hopefully sensibly priced & simple to fit.

Pull out handbrakes are very much a thing of the past, almost nothing available on Ebay & anything there was was stupidly expensive. I think possibly 2CV & Renault 4 may have had them?

A build I helped with many years ago mounted an ordinary handbrake lever horizontally under the dash, slightly to the side of steering wheel, would you have room to get a lever in there?

dan8400 - 10/8/19 at 10:49 AM

Thanks Russ

That’s not a bad idea that... never thought of repositioning the lever

Thanks
Dan

40inches - 10/8/19 at 11:28 AM

Caterhams had the handbrake under the dash late 90's I think

dan8400 - 10/8/19 at 11:47 AM

Thanks 40

Don’t suppose you know what the donor was? Or was it their own part?

Thanks
Dan

dan8400 - 10/8/19 at 12:46 PM

I’ve found one on an 06-11 ford ranger / Mazda bt50.

Might work, and quite modern.

Thanks
Dan

SteveWalker - 10/8/19 at 12:53 PM

You might find a pull-out type handbrake at an autojumble or classic car show. I know early Ford Cortina Mk1s had them and Vauxhall Victor 101 Supers. I'm sure there were others.

SteveW

40inches - 10/8/19 at 05:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dan8400
Thanks 40

Thanks
Dan

Not exactly cheap link
I would think any handbrake lever would do the job. With a bit of ingenuity
I have seen a few with the lever mounted on the floor by the drivers left leg.

coyoteboy - 12/8/19 at 12:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Can't see why electric handbrake should be an issue, tho' not sure how they'd check efficiency as they are simply on or off, be interested to see what you come up with as something hopefully sensibly priced & simple to fit.

Needs to be a mechanically applied one, not hydraulically. Some of the EPBs are electrically actuated and rely on hydraulic pressure retention (no idea how, given you'd expect the fluid to return to the master). but the bulk of them are either electric cable pulls (landrover?) or on-caliper electric screw driven which require an arm and fire setup (lock solenoid, then motor drive). Both of which should be pretty easy to drive, but I guess it depends what calipers come with it already - you don't want to be retrofitting anything other than the cable pull ones.

ceebmoj - 5/10/19 at 03:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by dan8400
Thanks 40

Thanks
Dan

Not exactly cheap link
I would think any handbrake lever would do the job. With a bit of ingenuity
I have seen a few with the lever mounted on the floor by the drivers left leg.

Marcos Mantula's often have a floor mounted leaver under your left leg, using a leaver that is flat to the floor or when off, as you also sit on a cushion on the floor that only lifts you about 1" it all fits comfortably under your leg. Granted it can make hill starts a bit challenging till you get used to it.

Blake

Angel Acevedo - 6/10/19 at 04:57 PM

I don´t know how popular VW vans are in UK, but they used to have a pull to aply-Pull/Twist to release handbrake.
This was installed under the dash next to the steering wheel. Good point about them was that once applied, your knee would bump into it so driving with parking brake applied was pretty uncomfortable this would remind you of releasing it.
In Mexico some nissan trucks had id too.
And last, but not least old Renaults had that type of handbrake.

Here´s one example for sale in Mexico.
https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-689645507-palanca-de-freno-de-mano-nissan-ichivan-_JM#position=9&type=item&tracking_id=e2adeca5-68ac- 4e5f-b5ae-6c7deb785353

HTH

ETA in UK...

[Edited on 10/6/2019 by Angel Acevedo]

JAG - 7/10/19 at 11:15 AM

I'm involved in the design of Brake Calipers and the Electric Park Brake Calipers....

quote:

Some of the EPBs are electrically actuated and rely on hydraulic pressure retention

This ^ is NOT TRUE.

Some systems use hydraulic pressure to apply but they are always mechanically locked on. ECE Regulation 13h mandates that bit.

There are two basic types;

1. Cable-Puller
  2. Motor-on-Caliper

By far the best is the Motor-on-Caliper design. However they're very difficult to make work outside of the original car. This is because they either use a separate ECU to drive/manage the Caliper or more recent designs use the ABS ECU. Both versions need a full set of original 'signals' from stuff like the ABS Wheel Speed Sensors and the Engine Management ECU.

I have heard that some small Motor Sport Suppliers can make a stand-alone ECU to drive the Motors. This sounds expensive but is probably the easiest solution.

A Cable-Puller might be easier but there's a lot of Cables and the Motor-Puller device to fit on the car.

designer - 7/6/20 at 04:44 PM

My Jaguar XJ had a pull/twist handbrake.

MikeR - 7/6/20 at 04:57 PM

I never had one, but didn't some Mercedes have a pull handbrake?

Jervo - 7/6/20 at 06:10 PM

I’ve got a prototype flay-off handbrake that I rescued from a scrap bin: you can have it if it helps?
It was made fir a Morgan, so it’s designed to mount near vertical on the passenger side of the tunnel. Would that help?

paulf - 8/6/20 at 03:43 PM

Could you make an electric one using a small electric winch or maybe a motor and leadscrew ? i dont see any need for complicated electronics just forward reverse rocker switch would do .
Paul.