Board logo

Fitting Front Wings
myke pocock - 1/4/20 at 03:48 PM

My car is bult to the book so the wing stays are as the plans. I am fitting new front wings as the first are crazing around the mounting holes. I drilled over size holes and used flat head screws with nyloks and put rubber washers under the head of the screws. In time the gell coat has crazed around the holes. Any suggestions for fitting the new wings to prevent this happening. I dont want to glue them to the stays by the way.

jps - 1/4/20 at 04:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
I dont want to glue them to the stays by the way.

Why not? Seems the obvious alternative - and would distribute the pressure?

Can you position them - then lay additional fibreglass so that the stay is basically encased in the wing?

Mr Whippy - 1/4/20 at 05:11 PM

Did you chamfer the edges of the holes? doing so will help prevent cracks. Though tbh I'd also glue it, I use Tiger seal as an adhesive, it's very strong.

steve m - 1/4/20 at 05:48 PM

My "glued on" arches never came off in 19 years,

Glue them onto the frame, with araldite or similar, leave to dry
next day flip them over, and add some fiberglass over the mount and on to the wing

job done, its very easy, and much better not having screw holes everywhere

steve

russbost - 2/4/20 at 09:30 AM

Another vote for bonding them, it's what we've always done on the Furore, just grind the surfaces to give a bonding key & use Siraflex, job done, just leave 24 hours to go off b4 moving anything

nick205 - 2/4/20 at 09:51 AM

On my MK Indy I drilled holes through the cycle wings and then the metal wheel arch brackets. Tapped the holes in the metal (M5 IIRC) and used stainless steel dome head Allen set screws to secure the cycle wings. Not too tight and no cracking or crazing (or problems coming loose).