Board logo

Mazda donor
tri - 26/8/12 at 12:10 AM

Hi

I have decided I want to build a Vortx using the mx5 donor just got a quick question about which mx5 I can use I was sure I read per 95 only but have since read differently can someone please clear this up for me I know either 1.6 or 1.8 will work just the age range I'm confused with

Thanks
Tri

RK - 26/8/12 at 12:49 AM

Apparently, there is one with a particular crank issue, but I forget which is which. There was a CKC article a couple of months ago on this, by John Dickens.

theconrodkid - 26/8/12 at 05:46 AM

it,s the really early ones that are affected,if the fan belt pulley has 4 slots it,s a short nose and need looking at,if it has 6 slots it,s ok

[Edited on 26/8/12 by theconrodkid]

BigLee - 26/8/12 at 06:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
it,s the really early ones that are affected,if the fan belt pulley has 4 slots it,s a short nose and need looking at,if it has 6 slots it,s ok

[Edited on 26/8/12 by theconrodkid]

Correct. 4 slot is short nose and generally seen as the weaker engine. Long nose had 8 slots around the crank pulley and is the stronger of the 2. Pre '94 makes the emissions easier as you don't need a cat. Mine flew through even with a turbo. Import engines seem to be regarded as a little better, but I've yet to find a reason why. You can tell the difference by the O2 sensor. Uk has 4 wires, import has a single wire.

Lee

tri - 26/8/12 at 08:29 PM

Thanks for replies did not know about the engine problems does it matter the year for the kit or will most be able to be fitted

Tri

first350 - 27/8/12 at 03:09 AM

I'm running a Miata Vortx, from a '99 miata.

IMO go with the 1.8 ('94 and later)
-more power
-Better diff (Torsen, rather than the VLSD in the 1.6L), also stronger
-Stronger Transmission
-bigger brakes (not really needed for a locost)

the early 1.8L's ('94-'95) were OBDI (simplier emissions), compared to the '95+ which are OBDII.

check out the below link, it lists all the miata from '90-'97, it's helpful in figuring out which ones came with a LSD; I've found it's a good gauge, but I always call Mazda anyways to run the VIN and double check what options it came with...so many people mod them.
http://www.miata.net/faq/Miata90-97A3.pdf

hope that helps!