Board logo

Ford crank sensor woes
itsawindupuk - 29/5/19 at 09:01 PM

Hi all, sorry to be a pain but my duratec engine iny mgb originally was from a fiesta st. It used a 2 pin crank sensor.

I've now got another duratec from what I believe to be a mondeo but the front cover has a different spacing for the crank sensor. The two mounting holes are a bit further apart.

So I ordered another sensor and it has arrived but it is 3 pin not 2. I assume its a digital type.

Does anyone know if there is any issue with a 3 pin on a high revving duratec?

Thanks

itsawindupuk - 29/5/19 at 10:03 PM

Also it looks like the sensor is too far away. What are people’s thoughts?

[Edited on 29/5/19 by itsawindupuk]

itsawindupuk - 29/5/19 at 10:05 PM

[img]http:// Description
Description
[/img]

snapper - 30/5/19 at 05:49 AM

Way to far
Usually about 1mm clearance

itsawindupuk - 30/5/19 at 09:20 AM

So a fiesta st sensor does not fit, this one does not so what sensor do I need? This is getting me confused.com.

rusty nuts - 30/5/19 at 04:09 PM

Can you not mount it so it can be adjusted?

itsawindupuk - 30/5/19 at 08:53 PM

Well this evening I look a closer look and it cannot be mounted closer. I have my old st150 engine still so looked at that. On the front engine cover around the crank pulley is a recess for the pulley. The recess on my st150 matches the pulley exactly. On my current engine the recess is noticeably bigger.

I recall having 2 pulleys as I had another wrecker engine and chose the pulley the same size as the st150.

So basically, the front cover is designed for a bigger diameter pulley and I need to change the cover to an st150 one. Where the hell am I guns get one lol.

SJ - 31/5/19 at 09:15 AM

Can't you just make your own adjustable mounting bracket? That's what I did on my Zetec.

itsawindupuk - 31/5/19 at 02:58 PM

No I tried that but the engine cover has a slant in it and the sensor hits it bringing it too far forward of the trigger wheel.

HowardB - 31/5/19 at 03:17 PM

larger diameter trigger wheel,.?

motorcycle_mayhem - 31/5/19 at 06:07 PM

I've fitted a Ford 948F 6C315 AA (if you google that it'll come up with a picture) to just about everything with timing teeth (engines, wheel triggers, etc.). Cheap, cheerful, reliable.

One hole mounting, long length, you could probably make a simple mounting from a short section of angle??