Board logo

Insurance clause that specifically excludes driving on the Nurburg Ring?
wilkingj - 15/7/12 at 10:48 AM

I just got my tintop renewal via the AA, and it has a clause that specifically excludes driving on the Nurburgring!

Anyone else seen or got this?

Its not like I am ever likely to go there, expecially in the tin top. Maybe in the Viento, but not in the Mundano!
Is this a sign of things to come.

Insurance is via the AA, but the actual company is located in Gibraltar.

ChrisLeary - 15/7/12 at 11:05 AM

As far as I was aware, that clause is included on every insurance policy unless it is especially to cover use on the nurburgring. That clause has certainly been on every policy I've had, I've only been driving 7 years but it's been on every one, and I've been with different companies too.

Regards,
Chris.

AndyW - 15/7/12 at 11:39 AM

Its been on ours for years.

RIE - 15/7/12 at 12:10 PM

It was stated to me when I took out my policy with Competition Car Insurance. It includes 5 trackdays (I think) in the UK, but excludes use on the Nurburgring.

Hellfire - 15/7/12 at 12:29 PM

Most policies exclude cover for any form of motorsport including trackdays but as the Nurburgring is a public road and a track, I guess it requires specific exclusion to make the policy unambiguous in the event of a claim.....

Phil

perksy - 15/7/12 at 01:42 PM

Think this is in just about all car insurance policies tbh

bi22le - 15/7/12 at 01:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Most policies exclude cover for any form of motorsport including trackdays but as the Nurburgring is a public road and a track, I guess it requires specific exclusion to make the policy unambiguous in the event of a claim.....

Phil

Agreed. The ring is a public toll road technically so they have to mention it specifically.

It may be the sign of things to come. If we have any decent b roads left in the future they will probably get added.

Ninehigh - 18/7/12 at 09:34 PM

I don't remember them specifying the ring, but I imagine it's covered under the "use for pace, racing or competition"