Board logo

Insurance When You Only Have Company Car History
orton1966 - 1/2/13 at 06:48 AM

Being an owner/director of a small company I’ve had a company vehicle for 15+ years, the company has three vehicles and runs a mini-fleet policy, meaning the insurer is in the companies name NOT named drivers.

I’m now looking to insure a ‘toy’ on personal terms but was shocked at the quotes my broker was getting me. Basically despite 15+ years of no claims, accidents or convictions, they couldn’t find me a company that would give me any no claims discount, yes I got a ‘discount’ for my clean company driving record but obviously on my first renewal if I moved company (to get a more competitive quote), my transfer letter would still be saying 1 years no claims.

I’m really frustrated by my brokers attitude, it’s kind off “well obviously you have no insurance history so you need to start again” never mind the fact I’ve drive 30k+ miles a year for all those years, without a claim, and through my company paid a lot in premiums!

Other people must have had this problem, are there any companies that give a fair discount to reflect peoples company driving history.

edsco - 1/2/13 at 07:17 AM

Yep. Had the exact same issue. I got round it by asking the leasing company, think it was GE Fleet at the time, to provide me with written confirmation of how many years claim free driving I had under their policy. Worked a treat!

whitestu - 1/2/13 at 07:41 AM

I had the same issue last year - company car for 10+ years and moving to a car allowance.

I went with Admiral in the end who accepted a letter from the company's insurer showing my claim history.

Stu

AndyW - 1/2/13 at 08:34 AM

I have had the same situation although never had a problem. I just stated how long I have had company vehicles and they asked for proof. Company supplied proof, max no claims given.