Board logo

New car
Ninehigh - 16/9/13 at 02:18 PM

I'm picking up a new car this thursday, but I'll be selling the current one myself so I'll need both insuring for (hopefully) a couple of weeks while that gets sorted out.

My current policy is paid for the year and expires next july, roughly £420. So here's my options:

Add new car as a temporary cover for £90
Make the change to the policy for £109, plus however much to cover the old car (I'm expecting £90)
Just get a new policy (been quoted £330) and cancel old one (if I get £250 of it back it still works out cheaper)

What would you all do?

Also anyone interested in a '04 Peugeot 206 hdi?

mcerd1 - 16/9/13 at 02:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Just get a new policy (been quoted £330) and cancel old one (if I get £250 of it back it still works out cheaper)

in the past its worked out cheapest for me to just amend my existing policy to the new car and add the old one back on as a temp.

but if your policy it works out cheaper to cancel and start a new one I'd do that (although you may loose any incomplete years of no claim bonus this way if thats a factor...)

if you put your new car on a temp. policy your just delaying the inevitable costs of changing....

Ninehigh - 17/9/13 at 08:26 AM

Well my thinking here is that by staying with the same company it's going to end up costing me nigh on £600 for the year. As the original policy started in july (and I already have 8 years) the loss of no-claims is a nonissue really