Board logo

New Driver Insurance
cerbera - 31/3/14 at 01:16 PM

My daughter has just passed her driving test and we are looking to add her to my wife's insurance as a named driver. I've had a few quotes ranging from quite dear to bloody ludicrous so was wondering which insurers people have had their best success with for the same scenario.

Ta in advance.

thefreak - 31/3/14 at 01:33 PM

Go Girl was a good one we found for our daughter. Although now she's passed it went from £900 to £1300 for the month between passing and renewal, and they want £1700 as the renewal.
Was the cheapest we found when looking around for provisional drivers though.

Now the fun of shopping around begins. and how is it they all come along at the same time! Mine on the A6 (£180!!), the wife's mk3 MX5 (£300+) and the daughters Ibiza 1.2.
I'm supposed to be starting the race season next month!!

shindha - 31/3/14 at 04:25 PM

The Co-op are quite good got my son insured with them it's a special policy for young people. They fit a black box which can be monitored over a web dashboard.

PAUL FISHER - 31/3/14 at 04:25 PM

Diamond and sheilas wheels came out best for my daughter at 17.

sdh2903 - 31/3/14 at 04:42 PM

Just be wary of doing loads of comparison quotes from the same account. A month or so ago my oldest step son (18) passed his test and we started getting quotes on a 1.2 corsa, they started out at £1300-1400, when we found a decent car we went to do the insurance and it jumped up to over £1600. After a suggestion on here we used a different computer and made up a new account and the quote dropped back to 1350!!

Anyway as for companies we found privilege to be the best value package and we got another 10% off because I'm insured with them too, so he got a years fully comp insurance on a corsa 1.2 sxi for £1200 which I didn't think was too bad. We made it clear we wouldn't have him as a named driver and made him save up a bit more to do it on his own.

Slimy38 - 31/3/14 at 06:08 PM

Can you still get the six or eight month 'accelerator' insurance packages? Seems a good way to get a first year NCD, although it's rarely transferable. I've no idea who still does them, if any.

ajguy1243 - 9/4/14 at 02:57 PM

I am 18 and the best policies and quotes I have been getting are with Elephant, Aviva or admiral.

Let me know how you get on.

cerbera - 9/4/14 at 03:12 PM

Ended up going with Aviva, they were they cheapest for us by a very long way.