Board logo

Insurance plonker
joneh - 23/9/17 at 08:12 PM

So the wife had a minor bump in the new car, young girl, 18, on her mums insurance ran up the back of us. Only minor damage, scuff on bumper trim and a few chips in the paint. Exchanged insurance details and after the girl phoned her mum she asked if we could not go through the insurance as her premium is currently £1700 and her renewal is due in a few days.

I wanted the chips and scuff sorted as the car is otherwise immaculate, so got a quote from Chips Away: £180 inc VAT. It was a bit of faff and took a week, when compared to just phoning the insurance company and letting them deal with it, but I felt sorry for her.

I sent this off to her and get this reply:

Jon

Thank you for the email. Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been away.

I shall be dealing with this matter now, on behalf of my daughter Isabel, thanks, as she has little funds and I would like to settle it now.

I have discussed the incident with Isabel and have seen and attached the photograph.

There appears to be minimal damage.

As I understand there are no witnesses.

I have seen the quote, for the repair, and you may wish to obtain a quote from -http://www.<addressremoved>, one of my brother's businesses.

Having reviewed the photo and the quote, I would like to offer you £100 as full and final settlement.

Please let me know, provide your BACS details, and I shall send you the money this evening.

Best regards

Simon

Is it me? Is this guy a massive wally? Either way, I phoned the insurance, non fault claim and its being fixed Thursday.

Good luck with your daughters premiums over the next 5 years! Although I bet they already renewed without declaring it.

Moan over!

neilp1 - 23/9/17 at 08:22 PM

I'm suprised she had insurance!

r1_pete - 23/9/17 at 08:23 PM

I think I'd be dropping a line to their insurance company, by offering you the money in writing they are effectively admitting liability, the insurer wont like that either....

CosKev3 - 23/9/17 at 10:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joneh
So the wife had a minor bump in the new car, young girl, 18, on her mums insurance ran up the back of us. Only minor damage, scuff on bumper trim and a few chips in the paint. Exchanged insurance details and after the girl phoned her mum she asked if we could not go through the insurance as her premium is currently £1700 and her renewal is due in a few days.

I wanted the chips and scuff sorted as the car is otherwise immaculate, so got a quote from Chips Away: £180 inc VAT. It was a bit of faff and took a week, when compared to just phoning the insurance company and letting them deal with it, but I felt sorry for her.

Jon

I shall be dealing with this matter now, on behalf of my daughter Isabel, thanks, as she has little funds and I would like to settle it now.

I have discussed the incident with Isabel and have seen and attached the photograph.

I have seen the quote, for the repair, and you may wish to obtain a quote from -http://www.<addressremoved>, one of my brother's businesses.

Having reviewed the photo and the quote, I would like to offer you £100 as full and final settlement.

Please let me know, provide your BACS details, and I shall send you the money this evening.

Best regards

Simon

Is it me? Is this guy a massive wally? Either way, I phoned the insurance, non fault claim and its being fixed Thursday.

Good luck with your daughters premiums over the next 5 years! Although I bet they already renewed without declaring it.

Moan over!

You could well end up being the wally!!!!

Even though it's a 'non fault' claim it will on your insurance history for the next five years, and your premium will be loaded because 'you have been involved in a accident'

Crap system.

daviep - 23/9/17 at 11:07 PM

I think I would have politely reminded the guy you were doing him / his daughter a favour and it was £180 to be paid immediately or you would leave it up to the insurance companies to sort out.

Everybody loses when the insurers become involved.

joneh - 24/9/17 at 06:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:

Jon

Best regards

Simon

Moan over!

Even though it's a 'non fault' claim it will on your insurance history for the next five years, and your premium will be loaded because 'you have been involved in a accident'

Crap system.

Got to renew this week. Got quotes cheaper than last year so far...

owelly - 24/9/17 at 07:47 AM

I know insurance is a strange business but it's confusing me more than ever...... I got a cheap Lexus RX300 a couple of years ago but the insurance was over £400 so I never bothered to use it. It got left in a shed. Every year, the various comparison sites send me 'reminder' emails offering their services and the RX300 was still in excess of £400 but out of interest, I updated the quote with my IN10 and CU10 along with the points they carry.....Updated quote with exactly the same excess and cover? £235!! I took swmbo off the policy and it went up which is what I'd expect as she is considered a safer driver (clean licence, no claims etc). I put her back on the policy and it went down by £5! So now we're at £230 and the broker is the same one that quoted £400+ in the reminder email!

zetec - 24/9/17 at 08:06 AM

The points on your licence probably meant another company was now quoting who may deal with drivers with points on their licence, they want your business so give a good price.

I went with Admiral this year with a multicar policy and got 2 cars covered for the same price as one from most other insurers, they come to the conclusion that you can only drive one car at a time so reduce the risk accordingly.

steve m - 24/9/17 at 09:54 AM

"I went with Admiral this year with a multicar policy and got 2 cars covered for the same price as one from most other insurers, they come to the conclusion that you can only drive one car at a time so reduce the risk accordingly. "

this is something ive been banging my head around for years, as you say you can only drive one car at a time, ?
however, think of the scenario of while your out driving, and have a small your fault prang, and your other car is at home burning away as some scroat has set fire to it

which car is covered ? I would assume the one your driving, and the other will be a total loss

steve

prawnabie - 24/9/17 at 10:23 AM

Id have argued for the £180 as whats to stop him getting her car fixed and them denying they were ever there - I speak from experience : (

joneh - 24/9/17 at 11:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Id have argued for the £180 as whats to stop him getting her car fixed and them denying they were ever there - I speak from experience : (

My photos from the scene and the text/email correspondence...

coyoteboy - 24/9/17 at 11:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie

This.

I got run into by someone who admitted being on the road but told their insurance it was mistaken identity. They fixed the car and sold it in the time it took my insurance company to investigate. Bam - claim against me. Took 9 months of arguing in writing and then saying there was no evidence. then found out through an ambulance chase company that the woman was insured with the same company . when I pointed this out they immediately dropped the claim against me and apologised.

CosKev3 - 24/9/17 at 11:35 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:

Jon

Best regards

Simon

Moan over!

Crap system.

Got to renew this week. Got quotes cheaper than last year so far...

Possibly because you haven't claimed yet?

joneh - 24/9/17 at 11:55 AM

I phoned them and claimed as I said above. Declared it on quotes, seems to be fine.

CosKev3 - 24/9/17 at 03:33 PM

Be very surprised if it doesn't go on your history.

A bus hit me and wrote my car off,non fault and it went on my history for 5 years and premium's were loaded as I asked one of the companies when getting a quote.

They said because you have been involved in a accident,fault or non fault,statistics say you are more likely to be involved in another accident

ReMan - 24/9/17 at 04:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daviep
I think I would have politely reminded the guy you were doing him / his daughter a favour and it was £180 to be paid immediately or you would leave it up to the insurance companies to sort out.

Totally agree on this one

joneh - 24/9/17 at 04:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
quote:
Originally posted by daviep

Totally agree on this one

Maybe, but being a stubborn arsehole I'd rather let the insurance company sort it then deal with that twonk. My time is too valuable to worry about a few extra quid in insurance. My new quotes seem to be cheaper or around the same as last year and I don't have to take time off sorting out a respray on my bumper.

He's the one who will be paying extra (or his daughter).

ReMan - 24/9/17 at 07:33 PM

So was your response to the twonk then?

joneh - 24/9/17 at 07:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
So was your response to the twonk then?

Nothing too spectacular:

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply.

I've obtained a quote for the repair, I've gone out of my way to help your daughter keep the insurance uninvolved as i gather your cover is very expensive.

I'm not interested in bartering or prolonging this, I'll phone the insurance tomorrow morning and the matter will be out of our hands.

Kind regards

joneh - 28/9/17 at 10:14 PM

Renewal price £528, up from £464 last year. ouch.

New price £333 plus £21 cash back