Board logo

Accident
luke2152 - 11/7/18 at 10:09 PM

So as per my previous post my car is being assessed after the accident. I visited and we had a look at the damage in detail and it doesn't look good. The chassis is damaged in enough places to make it not economical to repair. Wishbones are broken on 3 out of 4 corners. Every single panel has some damage minor or major. Fuel tank split. CV's pulled out of diff. Engine looks good (although it has hit the chassis so pulleys may be damaged.

The repair cost will certainly be more than the 10K it is insured for. However I have heard if you are not at fault you have a right to have the vehicle repaired regardless as it's not your insurer but the other persons insurer responsible. Does anyone know anything about this, whether it is a rule, specific to a particular insurer or just an urban myth

Mr Whippy - 12/7/18 at 06:20 AM

Sorry to hear it got so much damage but at least your ok and it protected you, could have been much worse.

I believe your correct, however I would ask advice from your own insurer, maybe a legal adviser before you put your foot in it. Tbh it sounds like you'd be better off with a new car than a fixed up one if its so beat up and you'd be back on the road quicker. Ignoring any sentimental value if you built it yourself...

I've rebuilt a kit car I built before that really got a smack but then regretted not just taking the cash (ended up with twice what it was worth thanks to injury payments) as it took so long for me to fix it back up I lost interest in it and sold it on to someone else, should have bought an MR2

[Edited on 12/7/18 by Mr Whippy]

ianhurley20 - 12/7/18 at 08:49 AM

I think you will find that its a myth - having said that insurers will sometimes negotiate with you and you may get the result you want

luke2152 - 12/7/18 at 09:17 AM

I'm inclined to agree with you Mr Whippy but want to know what my options are before i have to make any decision. Still don't know if the other party has admitted fault but i do have video so hopefully is straightforward ish

miskit - 12/7/18 at 01:47 PM

When our car was written off by someone, we were paid the value (after some negotiation) and I was given the option to keep it for the scrap value which IIRC was 5% of the value as that is what they get from the breakers.

But as above your insurer will advise - or if they may use a management company

cliftyhanger - 12/7/18 at 04:30 PM

I reckon myth. Otherwise somebody gets an old banger worth £200 written off, no way the insurance would spend out to repair it.

Get the insurance, keep the salvage. That would be the sensible choice.