Board logo

restorations on scooter parts using ABS plastic
xico_ze54 - 15/3/20 at 11:13 PM

hi there

I made a little video on restoration of a scooter front panel fasten point. see it if you please.

https://youtu.be/-6mFQ50n4pc

thanks
Amadeu

Mr Whippy - 15/3/20 at 11:58 PM

You don't say what you use for welding although it looks rather like earwax . I've had lots of success using soldering iron, blow torches or even just setting the part on fire lol I'm a bit of a fan of plastic welding it's great fun and practically free.

xico_ze54 - 16/3/20 at 12:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
You don't say what you use for welding although it looks rather like earwax . I've had lots of success using soldering iron, blow torches or even just setting the part on fire lol I'm a bit of a fan of plastic welding it's great fun and practically free.

I use a 40 watt soldering iron and when need to add material I use ABS rods or old plastic from scrap.

the yellowish colour of those welds is because my technic is not yet so fine tuned as I want in the future. but it works very well.

Mr Whippy - 16/3/20 at 07:15 AM

ah that makes sense. My favourite repair was welding back together a hole in a new £700 plastic climbing frame friends had put a hammer through trying to assemble and gave it to us for free, the repair with the soldering iron was perfect and after 3 years use I then sold it on for £180