Board logo

Tyre speed ratings
myke pocock - 24/3/20 at 08:14 PM

Do tyres with different speed ratings have slightly different handling characteristics? I ask as my Ford Kuga has a V and a W on the front axle. I had two new tyres fitted on the front when I bought the car by the garage then hit a bottle on a cattle grid. Ripped the side wall and had an identical tyre fitted but the MOT today identified that the ratings are different.

cliftyhanger - 24/3/20 at 08:48 PM

I guess it might make a tiny difference, but no more than different brands.
Was it a fail or advisory?

snapper - 24/3/20 at 11:13 PM

It only matters on a tin top if it’s a performance car
For a standard tug the speed rating must be higher than the cars advertised top speed.
People have said “well the U.K. speed is 70. The speed rating is also a load rating relating to performance.

adithorp - 25/3/20 at 10:22 AM

You're highly unlikely to notice a difference ( we see mismatched speed ratings all the time at work).
A V tyre is rated to 149mph and a W to 168mph; you'll be running at 50% of the capacity of the tyre. If love to know why manufacturers are specifying an SUV with a tyre rated for "exotic sports cars" (according to some lists)

coyoteboy - 25/3/20 at 02:53 PM

I'm going to counter the others here - the sidewalls and plies are often different and having bought a replacement set of exactly the same tyre but a different speed rating, I can confirm they do feel fundamentally different. Whether you care or not - who knows, if it's 10% different, do you notice a 10% change in shock performance on one side? I don't like asymmetric handling on top of all the other variables out there

myke pocock - 26/3/20 at 10:39 AM

Interesting point, thanks. Some of the replies I have received on here and other sites make reference to the speed rating of the tyres. I am fully aware they are different. However to achive the difference in speed rating and therefore capability of the tyre there must be a difference in the construction of the tyre and that is what my question realy referes to. Surely that could make a difference to the way the tyre performs. I will shortly be getting two new tyres and will fit them on the front and then compare how it handles.

[Edited on 26/3/20 by myke pocock]

[Edited on 26/3/20 by myke pocock]

Mr Whippy - 26/3/20 at 08:31 PM

You may not notice any difference as they could just use stronger fibers which is where the strength at high speed comes from.