Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Inn-sewer-ants
Ninehigh

posted on 1/2/09 at 02:34 AM Reply With Quote
Inn-sewer-ants

When I come to insure my locost, what in general do I need to tell insurers. Just thinking of gathering the list together to avoid the "errrrr, dunno" situation.

Also can anyone reccomend any particular companies? I've dealt with some proper clueless people who don't understand the concept of no-claims bonus accrued by driving a private hire vehicle and not crashing it

deezee

posted on 1/2/09 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Adrian Flux are pretty good. But like most insurance companies, they need to see some evidence of no claims discount. I just gave em the number of my last insurer and the sorted it out between themselves.
speedyxjs

posted on 1/2/09 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
Adrian Flux are pretty good. But like most insurance companies, they need to see some evidence of no claims discount. I just gave em the number of my last insurer and the sorted it out between themselves.

I have had no experience of AF or any kit car insurers for that matter but if you do a search for Adrian Flux, there have been a few problems with them from people on this site.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

ReMan

posted on 1/2/09 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
There are always good and bad experiences with all the robbing barstewards, there are about half a dozen, do a serch on here there are one or two detailed threads on the subject.
I've been OK with Flux so far.

You are very likely to find that no claims is neither taken into account or issued on this insurance anyway.

Otherwise all the usual things, make, engine, age. You will also need pics and other details later if you want aggreed value insurance, which you probably do?

Peteff

posted on 1/2/09 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
I've dealt with some proper clueless people who don't understand the concept of no-claims bonus accrued by driving a private hire vehicle and not crashing it

If you insure your Locost on the standard kit car policy you will not get any no claims bonus, none of the ones I consulted offered it on any of their limited mileage policies.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

dogwood

posted on 1/2/09 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Ya
I asked a simlar question last october.
I was given plenty of companys to try
These are the quotes I got:

Sureterm= £207
Adrian Flux= £168
Osborne & son= £159
Premium Choice=£138

Grahame Sykes, never returned call
Kitcar insurance direct=Osborne's

Decided to not take insurance out at that time.
Just got mine insured last week.
Used Sureterm although they were the dearest last time...
this time they were the cheapest by quite a bit.
£125 fully comp plus £35 full European brake down cover.
non of the others could come close.

So i think my advice is to phone around.
After you done that.. phone around again.

HTH David

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

contaminated

posted on 1/2/09 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
AF for me every time. Breakdown service is good (I get £3k a year in breakdowns - only used it once so far!), I'm covered for 90 days in Europe and they just upped the value of my car by £1000 at no extra cost. Don't do track day insurance though.
Meeerrrk

posted on 1/2/09 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
yep adrian flux for me too, mine was £300 and im 24yrs old with something other than clean driving history!!

as said above, for this type of insurance they dont take no claims into account, its a stand alone, one off policy.

mark

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

Ninehigh

posted on 1/2/09 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Why the hell can't they take no claims? Especially as I'd be using the car as my main transport

Although sounds pretty well cheap enough without it

[Edited on 1/2/09 by Ninehigh]

Meeerrrk

posted on 1/2/09 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
the way it was explained to me was that it leaves your no claims for use on your daily car, which makes perfect sense (the only thing in insurance that does!)

that said, if you have no claims, and arent insuring another car then a phone call asking the question could leave you pleasantly pleased?

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

Ninehigh

posted on 1/2/09 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah it would be my daily car, and that does make sense we had this insuring the two we've got now. I'll have to rebuild my bonus and see what happens

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.