Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Need car insurance with a decent cancellation policy...
paul the 6th

posted on 10/2/09 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Need car insurance with a decent cancellation policy...

So Ive found myself a donor with 6 month MOT but no tax. Dayinsure.com won't insure it since it was manufactured before their cut off of 1993, and the cover certificate wouldn't be acceptable for taxing the car.

I'm planning on insuring it and then cancelling in about a week. I've always used directline who are brilliant but you have to arse about sending letters asking to cancel and it takes 14 days etc. Isn't there a grace period where you can cancel within 14 days of the policy start?

I wanted to be able to drive the car legally for a few days so can get a feel for the condition of the brakes, suspension, how it runs frm cold upto temperature etc. I like to keep things above board and knowing my luck I'd get picked up on the 40 mile drive home, so I'm happy enough paying foe tax + insurance if I can get it refunded without it taking months or losing a massive chunk of money...

All advice greatly appreciated

[Edited on 10/2/09 by paul the 6th]

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
cd.thomson

posted on 10/2/09 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
my endsleigh policy had a 14 day cool off period which could be cancelled over the phone i believe and then followed up with a letter confirming the cancellation.

You ceased to be insured from the day you rang and they refund everything (minus admin fees and a percentage of the insurance related to how long it was actually insured for, which wont be much in your case).

Good for young drivers too

Craig

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 10/2/09 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
as i understand things all insurance policies have a 14 day grace policy, with obvious exceptions being dayinsure etc

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

grazzledazzle

posted on 10/2/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Norwich union will give you free 7day cover. All you have to do is phone them. They email PDF of cover which is valid for tax. Just done it and you don't need to have or take out a policy with them.
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 10/2/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression that the distance selling rules cover all commercial transactions over the phone or internet. They give you a 14 day cooling off period where you can change your mind.

might be worth looking into, although it does seem a little unfair on the insurance company (i'll wait for the howls of protest at that statement).

Kriss

posted on 10/2/09 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Under FSA guidelines, all insurers have to offer a 14 day cancelation period with no charge.
paul the 6th

posted on 10/2/09 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I was under the impression that the distance selling rules cover all commercial transactions over the phone or internet. They give you a 14 day cooling off period where you can change your mind.

might be worth looking into, although it does seem a little unfair on the insurance company (i'll wait for the howls of protest at that statement).

Top notch @ 14 days FSA cooling off period

Don't think it's very unfair on the insurance company, day insure.com won't cover me and even if they did I wouldn't be able to get tax. The rules say I need tax and insurance, and if this is the only way to about it then I guess it has to be anywho, I've paid 6 years of insurance and never had to claim so bows my chance to get a jab in there Lol

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mediabloke

posted on 10/2/09 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grazzledazzle
Norwich union will give you free 7day cover. All you have to do is phone them. They email PDF of cover which is valid for tax. Just done it and you don't need to have or take out a policy with them.

Yep - did this when we bought my Mrs' car. Just make sure it has tax & MOT though - we got pulled when the ANPR couldn't find us on the MID database. A short explanation later, we were on our way...

paul the 6th

posted on 11/2/09 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
sorted...

£163 quid for fully comp on the sierra for a year - cheapest quote i've ever had in my driving life! Funnily enough, it was about 220 quid to go TPFT - wonder why it's more expensive for them to offer less cover?

If I cancel within 14 days of the cover start date, there's a 25 quid cancellation fee - so my short term cover is costing 25 quid for upto 14 days... dayinsure.com would have given me about 2 days of insurance for 25 quid (but they don't cover cars which were manufactured before 1993)...

Just need royal mail to do their job properly and figners x'd the certificate will arrive and I'll be covered

--------

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.