Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Track day insurance
I predict a Riot

posted on 9/8/12 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Track day insurance

I have just booked my first track day.

I know that my road insurance doesn't cover me for track use .

What experience do people have of buying insurance for a single day on the track.

Have you gone back to your road insurers or do people buy the cover offered by the organisers.

Thanks

[Edited on 9-8-12 by I predict a Riot]

"Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people ". Warren Buffet on Expectation

Ben_Copeland

posted on 9/8/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I predict a Riot

Yes, No, Maybe

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

I predict a Riot

posted on 9/8/12 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ben

Finger slipped before brain engaged!

"Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people ". Warren Buffet on Expectation

Ben_Copeland

posted on 9/8/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I predict a Riot
Thanks Ben

Finger slipped before brain engaged!

Its ok, we all do it... You just have to be quick and delete it before someone sees it

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

jeffw

posted on 9/8/12 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
REIS or Competion Car Insurance

They will load your policy as it is your first track day.

owelly

posted on 9/8/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
A few years ago I got in to a rather heated debate about track day insurance. I was accused of being selfish and irresponsible as I didn't have any trackday cover. These guys were saying that they didn't want to be on the track with someone without any insurance in case I crashed into them. I pointed out that the cover that I was considering, which was probably the same as the cover they had, only covered my car for damage and damage caused to the circuit/track funiture. So even if I did destroy their car, my insurance wouldn't be paying out! The small print on the policy also stated that it reserved the right to cancel the policy if prior to any claim, I'd been driving wrecklessly. The policy also stated that any third party claims would not cover any liabilty that was already covered by the circuit. ie, public liabilty.
Before you take out cover, read the policy very closely.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 9/8/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
My DB7 is insured with Henderson Taylor, limited mileage 3000pa, includes 5 days track insurance.

The catch, XS £350 on the road, goes to £2,000 on the track and you have to notify them before you go.

Policy was £530 but then I am an old git

Little car, I just turn up and drive, no cover on that.

Everyone signs a disclaimer before you go, I have never seen anyone plough into anyone else except on Utube, I did however get hit from behind at Cadwell which cost me a rear arch you just suck it up.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 9/8/12 by mark chandler]

pewe

posted on 10/8/12 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
As a rule of thumb "if you can't afford to bin it you shouldn't be doing it"!
As mentioned above most policies will have such onerous conditions in the fine print they probably aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

BTW REIS were obscenely expensive when I went to insure the Eunos last year- old fart, no convictions, no claims, reasonable postcode etc. etc. they wanted over £500 on a very limited mileage policy and £5k excess on a car worth nothing like that - figure that one!

Cheers, Pewe10

Custardpants

posted on 10/8/12 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
I would think one of the better benefits of track insurance is if your car catches fire? Sods law the marshalls probably won't be there in time to put it out, and then it's either a case of accepting a total loss or trying to get the car to be taken outside the circuit, I guess if it then caught alight again youd be covered by your road insurance.

[Edited on 10/8/12 by Custardpants]

owelly

posted on 10/8/12 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
The problem with making fraudulent claims on your road insurance is the youtube evidence that the insurance company will find!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Custardpants

posted on 10/8/12 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
naturally.
parkiboy

posted on 10/8/12 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I've been wondering about this myself over the last few days.

I used to do track days in my starlet turbo and didn't bother with insurance, I was told track day accidents are rare and ur more likely to smash ur pride and joy on the road, it was a quick car and did set me back around 7k to build (forged and around 260bhp) but I was living with my parents back then so figured if in the unlikely event i had a bump I'd have the cash to repair and at worse buy another and move parts over, however I did even consider damage to the track which I know can be in excess of 1000s.

Now I have responsibilities of house ownership I really can't afford to smash up a 10k car, plus being rwd and 400bhp/tonne its more likely I'm going to have a spin or a few ropey moments so when I decide to track my mk I will be taking out insurance but I'm worried it's going to cost a fortune, especially at 24 (or does age not matter for track on insurance?)

Custardpants

posted on 10/8/12 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I think the given rule is £1% of total vehicle value (at least from REIS, irrespective of age e.t.c) so a factory built MK @ 15k would be 150 quid.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.