Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Low mileage on tintop
Westy1994

posted on 31/8/12 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Low mileage on tintop

Hi all,

Well it's that time of year where the tintop needs re-insuring. I don't use it very much and have just worked out that I do an average of 2.6 miles a day. Thats two point six not twenty six.

Having seen the renewal cost of my current insurer , I feel that the figure is not realistic based upon my mileage.

So, do we know of any companies that will give cover based on a very low mileage and provide a realistic price , I did a bit of googling and found some companies use a tracker based system, although none of them get very good reviews from users.

Any other suggestions?

Car if it matters is an old Volvo 940 estate 95 plate.

Cheers all.

Rich

loggyboy

posted on 31/8/12 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Classic policy
Most places do cover for cars over 10yrs, and you can do ltd mileage and make a big difference. With some you also wont use your NCB either, (you wont earn any either though).

Mistral Motorsport

Westy1994

posted on 31/8/12 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, tried those, well a few, just sent an email to Lancaster insurance to see what they can do.

Due to the type of car it is, most 'classic' insurers will not cover it - been there last year. A lot of these companies base the cover on the car itself, not the age.

quote:
Thanks for the email, There is not a specific age of the vehicle, it is very
dependant on the make and model, what vehucke are you looking at?

Many thanks

Lancaster Insurance
quote:
- from Lancaster insurance last month.

It seems a shame to scrap the car just because the insurance is so high as it's in dam good nick ( as most Volvos of this age are), it's not worth much either, so selling it is not really viable. I only need it to transport my 3 dogs around, sadly the Westy will not do this.

I have considered the mech bits for the 7 as well?.

ETA.

Just wasted 12 minutes of phone time establishing that my car is not one they would cover, despite it being 17 years old.

Any more suggestions folks?

[Edited on 31/8/12 by Westy1994]

loggyboy

posted on 31/8/12 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I had my 93 nova on a classic policy, i cant see why a volvo is any less of a classic lol
try www.performancedirect.co.uk/

Mistral Motorsport

Westy1994

posted on 31/8/12 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Me neither, it may be due to the fact that so many of them are still on the roads, how many other 1993 Nova's have you seen lately?

Thanks, will try them now.

ETA email sent just now, see what happens with them..

[Edited on 31/8/12 by Westy1994]

cliftyhanger

posted on 31/8/12 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Some cars need to be 20 years old to get classic insurance. Others much less (heard of a 6 year old merc recently)

Guess it is a case of the comparison sites at the moment, but at just 1000 miles a year a taxi may be cheaper! Or change to a proper classic? 240? Granny estate? Triumph 2000 estate? Plenty of space in those and insurance is often £100 a year including breakdown, get one old enough and no tax to pay either.

Westy1994

posted on 31/8/12 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yes indeed a taxi may very well be cheaper, seems an odd thing to say, but you are correct.

I did pursue the true 'classic' route last year and found that the cost of buying one was no better than paying for 'modern' car insurance , even after running it for 5 years.... and finding a decent one was proving difficult

I have a mate with an old Riley 1.5 , I used this for a short spell a few years ago, but was a bit on the small side for 3 dogs, but whats's good about that now is that it will not need an mot, so another 40 odd quid saved..... I may just have to look at that car again.....

austin man

posted on 31/8/12 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
U should be embarrased driving to work thats only a 20 minute walk or a ten minute Jog. You young uns never had it so easy lol

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

tomgregory2000

posted on 31/8/12 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a bike and cycle it
Westy1994

posted on 31/8/12 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
U should be embarrased driving to work thats only a 20 minute walk or a ten minute Jog. You young uns never had it so easy lol

Not entirely sure where I have posted about using this for driving to work?.......

It's not for work at all, just ferrying my dogs here and there when the need arises, you know vets etc etc...

I have a pushbike already btw....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.