Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Classic car cover, but not the owner.
Westy1994

posted on 29/3/13 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Classic car cover, but not the owner.

Ok, here a quite an obsure question for folks to comment on.. Think I know the answer already, but would like confirmation - here is the jist of it

A good mate of mine has a small collection of classic cars ( nothing exotic, just the usual MG's etc etc) and he is keeping them as investments for the future ( makes sense) however he never drives any of them, in fact he is pushed to actually sit in one now such is his age and heath. It seems a dam waste of the cars to just sit there waiting for the day when it might get sold.

So is it possible for me to insure one of the cars on a classic car policy without having to be the reg'd keeper of said car? He doesn't want to insure it for road use as he will never drive it ( as stated he can't even sit in the low cars)

I think I know the answer, but perhaps the forum sponsored Insurance company can comment on this?. (I already am using you as the cover on my Westy )

mookaloid

posted on 29/3/13 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that if he was happy to let you drive one about then if you were happy to pay the insurance then he should insure it with you as a named driver and you just pay for the insurance.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Westy1994

posted on 29/3/13 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, that was considered, but he had a bad stroke a year or so ago, so not sure how that would affect 'his' cover of the car despite me paying for it. We did discus this and hence this post.
Alfa145

posted on 29/3/13 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need to be the registered owner of a car to insure it. Just look at all the lease hire cars out there that are insured.

It might be a higher premium as you are not the registered owner but I doubt it will be any issue to the insurance companies.

Give one a call and ask for a quote telling them you aren't the reg'd keeper. See what they say.

Bluemoon

posted on 29/3/13 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
If said cars have been laid up for a long time you might start having mechanical issues if you use them due to the long layup.. It's worth thinking about this as you could end up falling out with it's owner... Like others have said can't see insurance being a big problem. It's always a shame to see classics not getting used/enjoyed...

Dan

Westy1994

posted on 29/3/13 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
OK thanks folks, I wasn't sure if insurance companies for classics had the same rules as Avis or whoever , as for the reliability of the stored cars, I have worked on many of them and run them now and again, but as with any car thats been stored the basics will need checking , so not an issue.

I shall ring around then after the long weekend.

2GETHER INS

posted on 4/4/13 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Good Morning,

We can most certainly look at covering the vehicles in question. However the policyholder would need to be the registered owner of the vehicles. I appreciate the registered owner may not have the need to drive them due to various reasons, so we could apply an endorsement to exclude the policyholder to drive the vehicle and just include yourself as a named driver.

I hope this has answered your query, should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me directly via the forum or email Katrina.clowes@2gi.co.uk

2Gether Insurance
01945 465508

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Westy1994

posted on 4/4/13 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Katrina, that was the answer I had expected having owned classics in the past ( just none in the last 10 years or so) , I won't be seeing my mate for a week or two, so I will contact you when I get his driver details and we can go from there.

Thanks.

Ninehigh

posted on 4/4/13 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
If that's the case then would it be possible for you to sort/pay the insurance, have you as the main driver and just say he's the policy holder? Or is the policy holder the main driver?

Westy1994

posted on 4/4/13 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
I did say it was quite an obscure question,lol.
Generally as you know the policy holder would indeed be the main driver, and it seems most companies have this as a main clause - as all my phone calls have indicated. ( car rental companies having different clauses)

This is obviously possible as Katrina has mentioned as how else would the vast majority of cars get to run at the Festival of Speed for example, the drivers of those cars are rarely the reg'd keepers ( for road going cars) . I have never had the cause in the past to undertake my proposal, so was unsure as to the legalities of it.

It may prove to be too expensive with this kind of policy, but it's worth a try.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.