Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sorry but this one shocks even me
Ninehigh

posted on 1/7/13 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry but this one shocks even me

So I'm sorting out next year's insurance, go through the comparison site, and onto the insurer's one.. Then I go back through the details (on the insurer's site) just to check everything.

The two changes I made was:
adding my phone number
selecting "pay anually"

It went up £40

Changed it back to pay monthly and it went back down, even though I still have the option to pay anually

What The F%&£ing F%&£?

theduck

posted on 1/7/13 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
How stupid. Insurance is getting more and more ridiculous.
Slimy38

posted on 1/7/13 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
So I'm sorting out next year's insurance, go through the comparison site, and onto the insurer's one.. Then I go back through the details (on the insurer's site) just to check everything.

The two changes I made was:
adding my phone number
selecting "pay anually"

It went up £40

Changed it back to pay monthly and it went back down, even though I still have the option to pay anually

What The F%&£ing F%&£?

You admitted to having a phone? Oh that's just insurance suicide, they're probably expecting you to be using it while you drive...

mookaloid

posted on 1/7/13 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
I think I would just pay monthly

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Canada EH!

posted on 1/7/13 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Not so unusual, would you rather be paid once a year or once a month?
Better to have a small amount coming in monthly than a large amount you have to budget.
Insurance companies have money coming in and going out monthly just like us, so you pay for the privilege of sending one large cheque.

MikeRJ

posted on 1/7/13 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canada EH!
Better to have a small amount coming in monthly than a large amount you have to budget.
Insurance companies have money coming in and going out monthly just like us, so you pay for the privilege of sending one large cheque.

It's very unusual IME, I have never had a quote where it was cheaper to pay monthly rather than as a lump sum. When an insurance company gives you the option to pay monthly they are effectively selling you a finance package, and as usual you pay interest on that credit.

By the way, never put your real telephone number into comparison web sites. I made this mistake a few years back and started getting numerous marketing calls afterwards.

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 1/7/13 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

What The F%&£ing F%&£?

You probably pay a couple of hundred more in interest by paying in instalments, the wife's is £400 more than a one off payment it's finance at the end of the day! They're all thieves

Work to Live don't Live to Work

nick205

posted on 1/7/13 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

As a business, I'd rather be paid up front and have the money to invest/accrue interest. A single transaction is also cleaner 10-12 direct debits. IIRC if you make a claim you usually have to pay the outstanding balance as well.

I'd phone the insurer direct and question them, I bet they'll override the website and take your money in one go.

Ninehigh

posted on 1/7/13 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Under both situations I have the option to pay monthly or in one lump, the only difference was me stating which way I'd prefer to pay.

mark chandler

posted on 1/7/13 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Cash up front is king, they can then use it elsewhere straight away.

matt_gsxr

posted on 1/7/13 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I can help.
If you want you can send me £1000 and I will send you back £75 a month for 12months. Offer open to anyone on here, I'm kind like that.

spiderman

posted on 2/7/13 at 02:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
quote:

I can help.
If you want you can send me £1000 and I will send you back £75 a month for 12months. Offer open to anyone on here, I'm kind like that.

I will take you up on the offer but I will have to charge you a £150 administration fee.

Spider

britishtrident

posted on 2/7/13 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Back in the days of using high street brokers was paying monthly and tried to pay the final two payments at once, it through the computer into a mental breakdown and it wanted additional £17.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.