Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Accident advice
speedyxjs

posted on 26/2/09 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Accident advice

Ok, i really need help on this one
My younger brother and i went to pick up one of our vans that had been serviced today and on the way home my brother drove into the back of me
Unfortunately, as it was my brother my parents and i dont really want to go through the insurance as it will increase his premium which is already high as he is epileptic (controlled).
The damage is:
Boot wont close, looks like this is due to the floor having bent upwards
Rear bumper bent quite badly and broken most of the mounting points where it screws onto the car at the top
Boot lid bottom edge bent under
Boot trim broken off

I have tried to show all the damage as best i can in these pictures.

Rear

Image deleted by owner

Boot lid - a bit blurry but you can just see it is bent along the bottom edge

Image deleted by owner

Bent floor

Image deleted by owner

Bent floor close up

Image deleted by owner

OSR

Image deleted by owner

Even if the floor wasnt bent, i wouldnt be too confident repairing it myself so what i would like to know is
a) what is it worth (its a 98 S 1.6 8v auto 37k family owned and very well looked after)
b) what would the repair cost?
c) is it worth getting it repaired?

[Edited on 26-2-09 by speedyxjs]

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

DarrenW

posted on 26/2/09 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Will vehicle be kept indefinitely? If so id say probs not worth the claim. The striker plate looks like it has moved - will probs be pursuaded back into position to allow hatch to close. Bumper may also be pursuaded back into better alignment.

Im guessing it was low speed shunt. Probs be more satisfying to give him a slap and tell your mother he was oggling some milf outside a school (assuming she will give a slap too)

ashg

posted on 26/2/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
easy fix that is. spot weld some pins on the deepest part of the dent then use a slide hammer to pull it back out grind off pins smooth out and paint.

wil cost about £400 in a backstreet bodyshop.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

speedyxjs

posted on 26/2/09 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Will vehicle be kept indefinitely?

Hopefully not. I dont mind the car as it didnt cost me anything but im not really one for driving boring cars. Id probably keep it for a year or so.

Peteff

posted on 26/2/09 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Get as much trim as you can out of the way and set about it with the hammer. You will most likely be able to get it somewhere near then adjust the boot striker by undoing the screws and move it back as far as it will go then forward a bit at a time till it catches and seals as well as you can get it. A scrapyard bumper shouldn't be too much but a new one may surprise you, we bought one for a Mondy for about £70.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mark chandler

posted on 26/2/09 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
You will impress yourself if you strip it down and set to with a lump of wood and hammer. As all this panel work will be hidden by plastic a coat of black paint to finish.

If you find bits are bending the wrong way as you hit the opposite way to the collision hence slide hammer drill out spot welds on the panels, once seperate they lose all strength, batter into shape and weld through the newly drilled holes.

Agriv8

posted on 26/2/09 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
If it was me and Mine I woud remove bumper.

Then tie ( with STRONG rope ) the strike plate to a bottom of somthing that does not move pole and leave the rope slack gently pull away say walking speed so the action is pulling the strike plar out ad down.

I think that would pull it somwhere close.

But dont blame me if it all ges t!ts up and I would go down all other avenues first.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

speedyxjs

posted on 26/2/09 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. Iv just suggested i have a go at repairing it to my parents (its still registered in my mums name) and they have said no

Meeerrrk

posted on 26/2/09 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
if it were me i'd hand the keys to brother & get him to bloody fix it! what numpty

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

afj

posted on 26/2/09 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
cars worth £800 at best bodge it best you can and carry on as before

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

speedyxjs

posted on 26/2/09 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by afj
cars worth £800 at best bodge it best you can and carry on as before

Unfortunately its not technically my car so thats not a long term option
Im just hoping i dont have to pay for the repair.

MikeR

posted on 26/2/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
why would you pay for your brothers crash?
speedyxjs

posted on 26/2/09 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
He doesnt have much money

HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 26/2/09 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing to do with accident advice but your brother shouldn't be paying any more than anyone else because of his epilepsy.
I have it and as long as it's controlled i'm ok, if they charge him more because of it then that's classed as discrimination against a disabled person, check it out with the insurance company

McLannahan

posted on 26/2/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
So you parents say don't repair it yourself - why is this?

I'd not even entertain spending money on it to be honest, or claiming for it. Will push up all premiums and won't add any value to the car. Pull the latch back into line so the boot can lock and open again. See if the bumper will go back onto the mounts and stick the bit of trim back on with new clips.

I would put money on that damage has physically written the car off. New bumper, mounts, trim, painting.... Just not worth claiming but is worth it to fix it up yourself and save all the costs!

speedyxjs

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan

They have this thing where they wont let me do anything like that unless im qualified. They dont even like me servicing it.

Rod Ends

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Might be a good idea to disguise the number plate.
Insurance co.s will be interested in all accidents even if you don't make a claim.

oldtimer

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
So. Brother at fault. Parents don't want to claim. You are not allowed to repair. Brother has no money.

FIGHT!

No really. Something/someone has to give. Suggest brother probably has money if things are for him - he should pay.

McLannahan

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan

They have this thing where they wont let me do anything like that unless im qualified. They dont even like me servicing it.

I completely understand if that's their wishes but the car (and I don't mean this in a rude way) has so little value claiming on the insurance will not only bump up your brother's premium, it'll also result I believe in the car being written off.

If it were an expensive Jaguar with full dealer history and worth loads then I could appreciate their thoughts on the matter!

Bearing in mind that you don't want to keep the car more than a year, I don't really see what other choices are open to you.

Someone (you/brother) pays someone £400 to repair it on a mates rates job. You repair it for less than £50 yourself or....

You claim on insurance. They write it off. You loose the car and get a crap payment for it.

How does your brother feel about it?

tomblyth

posted on 26/2/09 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
go o an independant and get a quote first you might be suprised! tell them you just want the panel work ! as I'm sure you cold fit a bit of plastic before you go home ! and what mam does,nt knoe wont hert her!
afj

posted on 26/2/09 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
also what excess does he have, as if you make a claim and its worth 800 ,knock off the ?400? excess leaves you no car and less than a monkey

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

speedyxjs

posted on 26/2/09 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I dont want to do it through the insurance. I like the idea of getting someone to do the metal work though. My parents are going on holiday in a few weeks so i may be able to stretch it out until then and do the plastic bits myself

mediabloke

posted on 26/2/09 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Your parents will naturally want it in the condition before the accident, but unless the car's in showroom nick to start with, it's unlikely to do so without a disproportionate amount of work and without them paying for it via their loss of no-claims and your brother's increased premiums. Everybody loses out.

Once you / they accept the above, you're back into "can-do". Given thatused car prices are so low at the mo., it would be cheaper to swap it than to make a claim!

Just my £0.02 worth...

Francis

eznfrank

posted on 27/2/09 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HAL 1
Nothing to do with accident advice but your brother shouldn't be paying any more than anyone else because of his epilepsy.
I have it and as long as it's controlled i'm ok, if they charge him more because of it then that's classed as discrimination against a disabled person, check it out with the insurance company

I was looking to see if anyone else had said this before I did. Completely correct, most motor insurers don't even ask the question any more. Obviously medical insurance and travel etc they need to know but for motor the only time they should be aware is if you've had an accident specifically because of it.

speedyxjs

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ Hmm. I might suggest he phone them today then and see what they say. I didnt think they should be allowed to up his premium.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.