Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Re-Finishing Gel Coated Panels
scootz

posted on 28/3/09 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Re-Finishing Gel Coated Panels

What's the best course of action for bringing tatty gel-coated cars back to life?

Can you re-gel them?

Or do you just rub them down and paint in a similar colour?

BenB

posted on 28/3/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Have the colours bleached or is it just a dull surface?
T-cut's worth a pop either way

scootz

posted on 28/3/09 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
There's chips and chunks out of the bodywork... will need a bit of GRP work first, so will have to paint or re-gel (if that's an option).
BenB

posted on 28/3/09 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
It's easy to repair chips and chunks in GRP. The difficult (almost impossible) bit is to try and get a colour match.

Some pigmented flowcoat sanded smooth will fill and chips nicely. I filled the mirror holes I used for SVA and you can hardly tell the holes were there... I'm sure they'll become more obvious as the original pigment fades though....

scootz

posted on 28/3/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Ta!

The only PITA bit is a couple of squared edges that have been damaged. Filling and filing required!

Hugh Paterson

posted on 29/3/09 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Fix chips with repair gel and pigment, polish with a white foam mop and crystic cut OR G3 and G10. If the surface is really bleached however it will prob fade out again. Some gelcoat colours are more prone than others. Two pack or acrylic paint is then the best option. Let me know if u need to "borrow" a Machine + mop will point u in the Local direction for the consumables, will cost u in the region of £35-50 for the bits u need to cut, paint will be in the region of £32 per litre for reasonable quality stuff, but u need good prep, basecoat and primer if u do it right and can chuck the paint on yourself, dont ask if u want someone to spray it for u!!!
Shug

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.