Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Write off's: Who's responsibility is it?
omega0684

posted on 11/1/10 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
Write off's: Who's responsibility is it?

hi guys,

i was involved in a car accident on the 18th of November last year & subsequently my car was written off. The 3rd Party insurance company sent me a settlement cheque which i have accepted but not yet banked. what i want to know is, who responsibilty is it to dispose of the car now that its been written off and i've accepted the settlement? i'm asking as its been 6 weeks since the accident and the car is still sat outside the house with no tax on it & i don't want to get stung with a bill for a car with no TAX. i have contacted the insurance company to ask why they haven't come to remove the car but all i got was , oh, its not my dept blah blah blah i'll pass on a message for someone to call you, which, of course also hasn't happened!

Alex

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 11/1/10 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Alex,

I would SORN it online for now then when it is eventually scrapped you will have to send the scrappers the complete V5.

Craig

clairetoo

posted on 11/1/10 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Strip it of anything that you can flog - then say pikies nicked it all while it was sitting.....

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

GMPMotorsport

posted on 11/1/10 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
The car belongs to the insurance company as they have effectively purchased it off you, write to the relevant parties giving them 7 days notice that unless removed from your property you will remove it at their expense (been there done that) you will be suprised how things get moving then!

[Edited on 11/1/10 by GMPMotorsport]

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 11/1/10 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
It all depends how the insurer dealt with the claim, usually the car is taken to a repairer, examined, and if declared a write off you don't see it again, other than to recover any belongings inside.

Lately they seem to be writing cars off and leaving the owner to dispose of it, happened to us 3 or 4 years ago when my daughters car was declared a write off.

You need to check with the insurer whether or not they expect you to dispose of it, if they do, they havent taken ownership of it, and you are liable for any offences ensuing. If they give you the run around, tell them in writing you are going to dispose of it, and bill them for any expenses.

You should get a few quid from a breaker, or by selling parts yourself.

Miks15

posted on 11/1/10 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
When someone hit me of mymoped, it was written off. They took it away to examine, then paid me the value.

They then offered i could have the bike back, but it couldnt be put back on the road. I could either have the moped back or extra money of its scrap value.

Mikkel

l0rd

posted on 11/1/10 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Same here.

When i had my accident 2 years ago, they took away the car, the inspector declared it as a write off and then gave me the compensation.

It is weird that they declared your car a write off without taking it to an examiner at first.

mads

posted on 11/1/10 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
find somewhere to store it and tell insurance company that it was stolen as they left it too long. then make it into a banger car!!!

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

StrikerChris

posted on 11/1/10 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same when mine was written off.I wanted to keep mine tho(hence the kitcar!),and it was assumed to be my responsability to get shut of it back then. Incidently I got over £2500 just for bits,and still kept the engine box and diff!
Peteff

posted on 11/1/10 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
The scrap men are paying for collected cars round here still, just phone somebody if you don't want it. Years ago my friend across the road had an old Nissan and was hit by someone pulling out of a side street. The insurance paid him £700 for his written off car which was nearly double what he paid. He asked if he could buy it back and they delivered it to his house and just dropped it off free. We got the bits off partfinder plus a bit of welding and put it back on the road for £130 and he drove it round for 4 more years.
Result I say.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Well this has been something I’ve wondered

If your car is damaged to the point it can’t be driven away, do you have to let a recovery company collect the car and then put it in their storage center???

In my mind their isn’t any reason you should and so long as you remove it from obstructing the road, say just getting a garage van round and then dumping it at your house. At which point you invite the insurance company round to assess the damage and get quotes. I don’t really see why it automatically becomes property of the insurance company just because it is not quite roadworthy.

For example, cheap cars being written off after say a wheel is pushed in and you could yourself go to a scappy and fix it rather than get it written off and have to buy it back.

Once fixed why can’t you just claim the cost back off the insurance company just the same as a garage or repair shop?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

thefreak

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
As said if it's written off they've bought it off you. If you've still got the V5 then you still technically own it so liable for any fines it makes. In the same way if you sell a car and dont sent off the V5 for the new owner. While you've still got it, you get the speeding fines and it's a ball ache to get them overturned.
Give them a call and ask them if they want the vehicle. They may have assumed as you have the car with you, you wanted to keep it after you were paid out for it. If they dont, break it and sell the parts on then get the scrappy to collect it. they usually give you around £50 for the weight alone

MikeRJ

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefreak
As said if it's written off they've bought it off you. If you've still got the V5 then you still technically own it

Being the registered keeper does not make your the legal owner!

Alan M

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Send A recorded delivery letter, informing them that from the end of the week you will be charging £10 per day storage
omega0684

posted on 11/1/10 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
this is the thing, i don't even know what category write off it is, i think im just going to strip it and sell the parts then flog it to the scrappy

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

mad4x4

posted on 11/1/10 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan M
Send A recorded delivery letter, informing them that from the end of the week you will be charging £25 per day storage

Send the Letter to the registered Business office - Not an Internal Department. Mention in the Letter any TAX /fines etc will be the responsibility of the insurance company from Date of accident until it is uplifted. Good chance they will ignore it and they you can legally bill them for storage as you have notified them in writting.
Send them an Invoice every month by recorded Post. Could take months to sort out. Also you could offer to delivery it to them as a Stupid cost per mile

[Edited on 11/101/10 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Richard Quinn

posted on 11/1/10 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
When we had one written off as soon as I accepted their offer I had to send off the complete V5 and was told in no uncertain terms not to take anything at all off / out of the car other than our own personal effects.
Ninehigh

posted on 17/1/10 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I've always been told when the insurance company pays you for the car they own it and it's their responsibility. If I was in your position I'd tell them to get it shifted sharpish as people are starting to steal bits off it and then advertise on here what bits are left to "steal"

Knowing the way I usually get treated with companies you guys would be able to strip it without the use of tools and carry it home via tortoise before they turn up to collect it, at which point "Told you people were stealing bits off it! Here's your £3000 Ford badge!"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.