Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT Standard timber sizes
tegwin

posted on 9/4/10 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
OT Standard timber sizes

Anyone know off hand, or have a link...

I need to know what standard sizes of sawn timber including length are "standard"...And also what size sheets are standard..

I am going shopping tomorow to the local builders merchants... but I want to know how much of everything I will need.... but cant do that without knowing what the standard lengths and sizes are...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

roadrunner

posted on 9/4/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sheet material is 4foot by 8foot.
Standard timber is anything from 1"x4" up to 4"x8" varying lengths normally 3.2 ,4.2 and 5.2 meters.

dhutch

posted on 9/4/10 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Bearing in mind 'planned all round' timber (smooth finish) will typically below the stated dimensions.
- As a peice of 2*2 PAR is made from a piece of cut 2*2 run through the planner!

zilspeed

posted on 9/4/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
For stuff like joist sizes (150x50 up to 225x50) off saw, 4.8m is a fairly standard length.
I often use commonly available sizes as one of my design considerations when drawing stuff up.
I once did a school kitchen and I put the width in at 4.8M over the wall heads when I drew it up. The older more experienced, indeed chartered, guy in our team said he wanted it in at 5.0M.
Which was fine until it was explained to him that as the timber from this merchant comes at 4.8, then 5.0 was going to be a bit tricky.
They can all vary a bit, so best to ask your chosen supplier.

When I buily my timber garage, I built it around the lengths being supplied.
At the end of the day, my offcuts fitted inside a single tesco carrier bag.

NigeEss

posted on 9/4/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
There are many "standard" sizes depending on the intended use I would say. But as mentioned
sheet is 8'x4' or 2440x1220mm in new money.
And generally knock off 5mm for planed, eg a (2"x2" 50x50 would end up 45x45 planed.

zilspeed

posted on 9/4/10 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
Bearing in mind 'planned all round' timber (smooth finish) will typically below the stated dimensions.
- As a peice of 2*2 PAR is made from a piece of cut 2*2 run through the planner!

Known up here as dressed all round, usually is wrought from 100 x 50 and ends up as 45 x 95mm.

Then there's CLS, which is 89 x 38 or 63 x 38mm. It's generally known as 3"x2" or 4"x2" CLS even though it's neither being smaller in all directions.
It's generally very regularised though, so is easy to work with.

What's the job you're doing ?
There are lots of us building trade types on here, it might help if you were to say.

tegwin

posted on 9/4/10 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Chears for the input guys..

I am kitting out a VW van as a camper type thing...

Building a large L shaped seat with a metal foldout section to turn it into a bed (185cm x 110cm bed size....

Plus building a wardrobe style cabinate at the end of the bed on one side of the van...

I am thinking of using 2.5x1.5" timber as I think it will be strong enough.. basic framework with plywood skin...

Just trying to work out how much I need etc so I dont have to join any pieces together to give me enough length etc...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

SteveWalker

posted on 9/4/10 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I am thinking of using 2.5x1.5" timber as I think it will be strong enough.. basic framework with plywood skin...

That should be fine. My parents used to have a Sprite Musketeer caravan many years ago. The framing for the seats and the wardrobe was around 1-1/4" square! Bonded and stapled to the ply skin, it was plenty strong enough.

red22

posted on 10/4/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just my 2 cents. Skip the frame work the ply is strong enough on it's own just stick to 12 or 15mm. Anything that keeps the weight down is good. Depending on the year of your van there are some plans for the rear wardrobe (and top box?) but if you do use them don't treat them as gospel as vans never seem to be quite the same.
roadrunner

posted on 11/4/10 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch

Known up here as dressed all round, usually is wrought from 100 x 50 and ends up as 45 x 95mm.

Then there's CLS, which is 89 x 38 or 63 x 38mm. It's generally known as 3"x2" or 4"x2" CLS even though it's neither being smaller in all directions.
It's generally very regularised though, so is easy to work with.

What's the job you're doing ?
There are lots of us building trade types on here, it might help if you were to say.

Actually, up here its known as PSE (planned, squared, edged)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.