Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is this a write off?
HowardB

posted on 19/6/11 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Is this a write off?

on the way back from Newark on Saturday afternoon, I managed to slide the pride and joy into the back of another car!! Bugger!

No one hurt, but the front of the Fury nose dived under the other vehicle, and caused the following damage:
near side, no direct impact
near side, no direct impact

is it a right off?
is it a right off?

NSF- took most impact
NSF- took most impact

It is going to be a right off? How is the best way to manage this with the insurer (Adrian Flux)?

Ideally I'd like it fixed, the bonnet isn't onit anymore, but the NSF and the pedal box all look ok, the engine has slid forward and taken the brunt, smashing the alternator, the steering rack looks a bit wonky, and the wishbone is well and truly wished on, but everything else seems straight.

Any advice would be most helpful.

Mea Culpa, pride before fall etc,.....

thanks in advance

[Edited on 19/6/11 by HowardB]

[Edited on 20/6/11 by HowardB]

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

RichardK

posted on 19/6/11 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Oh mate really feel for you must be gutted...Anyway to answer your question I would think the key thing is if their is ANY damage to the chassis, if their is, then I reckon they'd right it off, not sure if there is any data available or even if it would be possible to "pull" it back. You may need to strip it back to see more, do you really need to tell the insurance? I think I'd be trying to cut a deal with the other party and get there car sorted.

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 19/6/11 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeFellows

posted on 19/6/11 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
the chassis looks ok from what I can see in the photo's

should be repairable easily if like i think it has no chassis damage

ashg

posted on 19/6/11 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
open your eyes guys the chassis is bent look at the third pic. looks repairable but your gonna have to cut a fair bit of the front end off and replace the bent bits to sort that out.

everything can be fixed its just a case of if its worth it? it may actually be cheeper to have a new chassis rather than repair the old one.

personally i would say yours is borderline. if you can get the drawings for the front part of the chassis and can wield a welder then it can be fixed at pretty little cost other than time. if you cant weld then your looking at a couple of grand to pay a pro to do it for you.

if the insurance want to write it off and wont let you buy it back take all the good bits off it before it goes.

if they give you a new car and will let you buy back the old one i may be interested in it as a repair job for myself.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 19/6/11 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Pic 2 looks like the chassis is very bent where the suspension rocker arm is and if so will be a write ooff i would think.
HowardB

posted on 19/6/11 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input, Gutted was one of the words, there were others that sprang to mind.

I have tried to get hold of Adrian Flux with no luck today, and so will call them on Monday, I can weld, but not great, I'd be happy to do all the prep work and get a local coded welder I know to weld it, but it is a mess., harness and helmet saved me from anything more than skint knees.

Thanks again,...

Howard

avagolen

posted on 19/6/11 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Very sorry to hear about the prang.

When purchasing my Fury Kit from BGH, I talked to Chris a lot about the chassis strengths, and as you know they are a seriously raced car.

He told me of an instance where they replaced the front end complete to half way down the engine bay - the rest of the chassis was undamaged.
He reported that the race scrutineers were amazed at how well the car had survived the collision with the armco.

From what I see in the photos, it looks very repairable.
I would strip it clean and have a good look.
Take some good photos and talk to Steve at Fury sport cars.

HTH

Len.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

HowardB

posted on 19/6/11 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Len, I will do,....

Howard

loggyboy

posted on 19/6/11 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Whole new Chassis is about £900 from Raw, rockers and other bent arms are likely to be a few hundered quid, plus a new bonnet £400?, Its likely to be under, but close to the the line of half the value of the car and with labour that will shoot up over half. Half value is usually the guide for right offs. Do you have agreed value insurance or salvage buy back rights?

[Edited on 19/6/11 by loggyboy]

RichardK

posted on 19/6/11 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
open your eyes guys the chassis is bent look at the third pic.

I promise you my eyes we're/are open,I've posted from a phone so my advice I presume is still correct on the basis I couldn't see details?

R

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 19/6/11 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
lol rich. there was me just thinking that you were getting old

go out and take the radiator and the bent suspension/wheel off and take some mor photos and we will be able to see a bit better. it looks to me like it will need the drivers side of the chassis back to the scuttle replacing new front cross members and suspension mounts.

like i said it can be fixed but it will come down to cost at the end of the day.

its only a car the good news is that everyone was ok.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

pewe

posted on 19/6/11 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that - just one of those things you have to take it on the chin.
However the beauty of our type of car is that it's a bit like a big Meccano set so most of it is replaceable without too much difficulty.
The F27 looked a real mess after being parked in a tree but strip-down revealed it was repairable without too much aggro.
If you aren't capable of DIY'ing it I suggest one of your first ports of call tomorrow should be to contact Matt at procomp (he's on here) and ask his advice.
His rates are good and he'll not give you any bullsh*t.
BOL.
Cheers, Pewe.

RichardK

posted on 19/6/11 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Cheeky get

JoelP

posted on 19/6/11 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
highly likely they will write it off, though maybe if you have a particularly high agreed value it might not. However, as someone has said there might be a chance you can get salvage rights on it. Depending on what they pay, a write off might not be the end of the world anyway, esp if you strip a few bits off it first.

Commiserations and chin up, but at least no one died. Always got to look on the bright side!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

scootz

posted on 19/6/11 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Booger!

It's Evolution Baby!

MikeR

posted on 19/6/11 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
In theory you need a half chassis, someone to weld about 8 tubes along with a new bonnet, wishbones and rockers etc.

If you're doing all the work youself apart from the bit of welding it shouldn't be a right off & if you present to the insurance company this option its probably more cost effective for them ...... I'm sure i've read on here of other people doing something similar (my memory is of someone agreeing with the insurance company for them to pay the owner to do the work at a reduced cost per hour). Do you have the time / skills to rebuild the car?

Mark Allanson

posted on 19/6/11 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
An insurer will not want to repair the car as there are no recognised repairers for this sort of thing.

A car is written off when the value of the repairs exceeds the value of the car less the salvage value (If the pre-accident value was £5000, and the salvage is worth £1000, the write off point would be £4000. In reality, insurers tend to BER at 60-70% PAV)

The trick now is to speak to the assessor, ask him to give a cash in lieu of repair, and not to write the car off if you want to repair the car. Get prepared with copies of adverts of similar cars, a letter of valuation of any clubs you are a member of. All he needs to do is to justify his valuation and if you do all the work for him he is much more likely to agree with YOUR valuation

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

HowardB

posted on 19/6/11 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Booger!

Agreed, and I'd finally got those ITB's ready,......

Howard

AndyW

posted on 19/6/11 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Can you decide not to let the insurance do anything, ok they have to get involved for the damage to the other car but you dont have to have yours repairs. Cant you just do the work yourself (or someone for you) rather than risking the insurance writing it off?
HowardB

posted on 19/6/11 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

go out and take the radiator and the bent suspension/wheel off and take some mor photos and we will be able to see a bit better. it looks to me like it will need the drivers side of the chassis back to the scuttle replacing new front cross members and suspension mounts.

like i said it can be fixed but it will come down to cost at the end of the day.

its only a car the good news is that everyone was ok.

I am happy to have a go at some of the work, and all of the prep if I can convince the ins man to agree, here are more pictures.

rad removed
rad removed

Description
Description

as can be seen the whole front looks quite sad, but I can see very little sad beyond that,....

thanks for all the thoughts, I shall make the calls tomorrow and see how it pans out

Howard

pewe

posted on 20/6/11 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Your latest pics look very similar to the F27 damage and that's been repaired by me in about a month.
It's one of the benefits of rocking arm suspension that the chassis configuration seems to withstand frontal impact better than an outboard system
- maybe they are more solid where it counts.
Providing it hasn't gone further back in the chassis looks as if you'll be able to chop out the bent bits and replace with new - helps
if you can obtain plans or measure a similar car.
Just ensure you replace with joins in the same place as original.
Keep us posted.
Cheers, Pewe

HowardB

posted on 20/6/11 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks again, I have spoken to Adrian Flux this morning, and also the underwriters, the outcome is an assessor inspection, so I shall have to have as much info to hand as is possible.

I also learnt something new today, I knew the tyres that were on there were crap, but it seems that tyres age and get far harder with age, so that may well have contributed to the ice like slide that I had.

Expensive lesson,....

thanks again

Howard

JimSpencer

posted on 20/6/11 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Got this T shirt a few years ago, this is what i learnt:-

You'll be wanting, I assume to fix this?

If so and assuming the assesor write's it off - which he probably will as Kit car frighten them..

Push for a Catagory C or D write off (the former needs a VIC inspection, which is actually a positive thing to happen in these cases) with the write off value Net of salvage back to you.

What then happens is you end up with a cheque for the difference and get on with fixing it, then have the VIC done and you're away and the car will HPI check ok too.

HTH

MK9R

posted on 21/6/11 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JimSpencer
Hi

Got this T shirt a few years ago, this is what i learnt:-

You'll be wanting, I assume to fix this?

If so and assuming the assesor write's it off - which he probably will as Kit car frighten them..

Push for a Catagory C or D write off (the former needs a VIC inspection, which is actually a positive thing to happen in these cases) with the write off value Net of salvage back to you.

What then happens is you end up with a cheque for the difference and get on with fixing it, then have the VIC done and you're away and the car will HPI check ok too.

HTH

If a car is written off, what ever catagory it is, it will show up on a Hpi check, there is no way round that. Best result is to get a quote for the work which is about 50% of the value so they don't right it off and pay the cash, repair it and its all perfect.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

HowardB

posted on 22/6/11 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Not written off!

I can't thank you all enough, the wisdom on here is great!

All I have to do now is choose between Steve at Fury and Andy at AB for the repair.

Thanks to all that have helped, for reference, I printed off all the recent adds for similar cars showing their value, and then the repair estimates, the assessor had seen lots of cars, including a Westy last week, but was delighted that I'd done the leg work for him.

Now to make it better, 1st item on the shopping list 15" ford fit wheels and sticky tyres!

Howard

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.