Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Overseas breakdown cover???
pewe

posted on 1/5/12 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Overseas breakdown cover???

We're off to France and Italy soon in the MX5 but I'm finding it difficult to obtain breakdown cover as it's a '92 car.
Seems like most won't cover a car over 15 years old.
I've asked the current breakdown insurers but they've declined - maybe I'll just have to wing it.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Cheers, Pewe10
PS just in case I exceed my 3000 mile insurance policy limit I asked the current insurers to go up to 5000 just in case - an extra £90!

theconrodkid

posted on 1/5/12 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
i will watch this thread with interest,i had the same result as you

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Davegtst

posted on 1/5/12 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
If you manage to get someone to quote you make sure you read the small print. With the aa's one there was a clause that if the cost of recovery home was worth more than the car they had the right to leave you there without paying out anything. I know of it happening a few times too.
Humbug

posted on 1/5/12 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Funnily enough I've got an MX5 (1994) as well . My insurance is with Footman James and it includes European cover (though I didn't look closely at the exact terms...). Just googled and found this: this - not cheap but it is a whole year
steve m

posted on 1/5/12 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
When i did "lemans" last year in my mates XK8, think its a 92 ? we could not get any insurance to cover the car
as it was over 10 years old

To be honest, the car is maintained by Jaguar at gatwick, and has a full Jag service history,and drives like a new car
we got there and back with one fault, one of the rear lights wasnt earthed properly, so when i indicated one cluster wasnt working
no big deal,

pewe

posted on 2/5/12 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies.
I don't think I've ever had overseas cover but not having had the car long made me a bit cautious.
Just done a 300 mile round trip and I'm happier with it today than I was yesterday so think I might just wing it with a few tools and some spares.
Cheers, Pewe10

2GETHER INS

posted on 23/5/12 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
2Gether Motor Breakdown can provide cover for any age car whether in the UK or EU
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.