Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Impact to Kitcar nsurance if Claiming on Tin Top
mccsp

posted on 9/7/12 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Impact to Kitcar nsurance if Claiming on Tin Top

Hi guys,

My tin top was hit by a random yellow van at the weekend down in Brighton, they left the scene without leaving details, but were spotted by a random passer-by (no number plate recorded).

Has been reported to the police, but debating whether to claim off my insurance. Pretty confident it will be a right-off as requires new bumper, repair and a significant amount of paint. Is a Toyota Corolla T Sport VVT-i.

I have full no claims protected, but I am wondering what the on cost of claiming might be to both future tin top insurance and also my kitcar insurance for having made a claim.

Kitcar is a Luego Velocity 2l Zetec with agreed valuation from Adrian Flux. Both cars are insured with different companies, tin top is with Admiral. Admiral policy is multicar price with wifes car to be added at the end of this month when her original policy is up. IF don't add her car, I am not sure what that might cost relative to my insurance premium.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated

Why do it the easy way, when I can do things my way!

bi22le

posted on 9/7/12 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
It will effect the kit car insurance, they robbing bankers will take you up on the invite to charge more money, Thats for sure.

It will be a percentage. Kit car insurance is cheap so the increase should be small.

I have had loads of accidents and got points. I pay £400 ish for my 4age striker. No no claims too.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

FazerBob

posted on 9/7/12 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mccsp
Hi guys,

My tin top was hit by a random yellow van at the weekend down in Brighton, they left the scene without leaving details, but were spotted by a random passer-by (no number plate recorded).

Has been reported to the police, but debating whether to claim off my insurance. Pretty confident it will be a right-off as requires new bumper, repair and a significant amount of paint. Is a Toyota Corolla T Sport VVT-i.

I have full no claims protected, but I am wondering what the on cost of claiming might be to both future tin top insurance and also my kitcar insurance for having made a claim.

Kitcar is a Luego Velocity 2l Zetec with agreed valuation from Adrian Flux. Both cars are insured with different companies, tin top is with Admiral. Admiral policy is multicar price with wifes car to be added at the end of this month when her original policy is up. IF don't add her car, I am not sure what that might cost relative to my insurance premium.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated

This is where the insurance companies really get to rob us blind. If you have full NCB, and therefore a good driving record you can only count it on one car.
So why does anything that infers a poor (or unfortunate) driving record get held against you for every car you insure.
This is the ultimate 'double standards' but what can we do about it?

Bob

ReMan

posted on 9/7/12 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FazerBob

This is where the insurance companies really get to rob us blind. If you have full NCB, and therefore a good driving record you can only count it on one car.
So why does anything that infers a poor (or unfortunate) driving record get held against you for every car you insure.
This is the ultimate 'double standards' but what can we do about it?

Agreed time this hit the headlines and they all go to jail with the bankers and the PPI thieves

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Simon

posted on 10/7/12 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
As Flux are your brokers, I'd suggest you speak to them, anonymously if required to confirm. If they don't use your tintop ncd on your kitcar, then a tintop claim can't affect the kitcar price either. I'm guessing you have crime number from plod.

You have protected ncd on tin top so would claim on that, your insurer should be able to get money back from MIB but perhaps speak to them too.

ATB

Simon

BenB

posted on 10/7/12 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
As Flux are your brokers, I'd suggest you speak to them, anonymously if required to confirm. If they don't use your tintop ncd on your kitcar, then a tintop claim can't affect the kitcar price either. I'm guessing you have crime number from plod.

You have protected ncd on tin top so would claim on that, your insurer should be able to get money back from MIB but perhaps speak to them too.

ATB

Simon

I believe that's untrue. A tintop claim can increase your kit premium. Insurance companies don't have to do NCD reductions and they can set their premium at whatever they want. Whether you stay with them is another matter.
It's a bit like protected NCDs. They don't reduce your NCD as much but your premium the next year still shoots up.

Slimy38

posted on 10/7/12 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting topic. I have car insurance and bike insurance, and while I declared a car bump on both policies only the car policy went up. This may have also been to do with the loss of some NCD rather than just the bump.

I also had to do the same when the 3 points arrived (different incident) fortunately neither policy was affected by that.

mccsp

posted on 10/7/12 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Have approached tintop insurer! Will see how that pans out and worry about Kitcar impact later! Fingers crossed won't be too bad!

Why do it the easy way, when I can do things my way!

owelly

posted on 10/7/12 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
When I renewed my Kit policy, I was asked if I had ANY claims or convictions in the past five years. That included claims on my tin top, my Mrs tin top, my bike, kit etc... as it happens, it didn't effect my premium but the broker did say it had narrowed the underwriter that were still competitive when the claims were declared.
I did tell them about my SP30 although technically, I was never convicted but I did recieve penalty points.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FazerBob

posted on 10/7/12 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
quote:
Originally posted by Simon

ATB

Simon

I believe that's untrue. A tintop claim can increase your kit premium. Insurance companies don't have to do NCD reductions and they can set their premium at whatever they want. Whether you stay with them is another matter.
It's a bit like protected NCDs. They don't reduce your NCD as much but your premium the next year still shoots up.

'Protected NCD' is another insurance scam. I have over 45 years without a claim, but stopped protecting my NCD several years ago when my friendly broker told me I was just wasting money, as there is no such thing as 'protected' because the insurers just put up the premium after a claim to cover the amount they are supposedly protecting.

greenwood03

posted on 25/7/12 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
interesting topic...
i wrote my kit off a couiple of months back, as i'd retained the car for salvage the policy reverted under its terms to 3rd party fire and theft - until such time as it would go back on teh road, at that point i'd have to stump up an additional premium: ie/ the diff between 3rd party and comp.
in the event i bought another kit last weekand the cost of the 'add on' until end of March next year - a measely £40.

To be frank i think that's a touch and i'm very very pleased with that.

the broker was Frank Pickles - Barry Wilson ( top top guy ) and the underwrters were Equity Red Star

http://southernkitcars.comIntermarque Club for owners in the South/South East

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.