Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance problem/con
Davegtst

posted on 6/9/12 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Insurance problem/con

I took out a policy last week for the MK, answered every question they asked truthfully and paid in full for the year. I then the next day get a call saying is it a car or bike engine? Once i answered bike they said they will have to recalculate the cost and will ring back. They rang back and said i would need to pay roughly £200 more or the policy would be cancelled! I had a long conversation with the manager who admitted it was their fault the question wasn't asked at the time of the quote but the best they would do would be to honour the insurance for 7 days then issue a full refund. Can they cancel my policy for this reason?
snakebelly

posted on 6/9/12 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
There an insurance company, they can do what they like:-(
Short answer is yes they can, to be honest getting 7 days free and then a full refund is better than I would have expected, who were they?

redeye

posted on 6/9/12 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Its an Engine, and its now in a CAR......Surely you can say its a car engine now

I dont see what difference it makes.

I bloody hate insurance companies, they're allowed to get away with anything they want.

twybrow

posted on 6/9/12 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Try 2Gether - my BEC car costs less than £150/year to insure fully comp with them. Yes, their customer service is not always brilliant, and yes, you need to check your documents are correct, but then it is clear they are not the only ones with such problems!
silky16v

posted on 6/9/12 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Frank Pickles for insurance
40inches

posted on 6/9/12 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silky16v

They wanted 3 times more than 2gether when I enquired

mcerd1

posted on 6/9/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

Pickles were dirt cheap for me when I got a quote last month (pinto engine though)
but they don't do build-up / laid-up insurance any more - depite the fact its still on there website

-

Fatgadget

posted on 6/9/12 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redeye
Its an Engine, and its now in a CAR......Surely you can say its a car engine now

I dont see what difference it makes.

I bloody hate insurance companies, they're allowed to get away with anything they want.

That's how insurance companies have always operated.Install a potent motor in your car and your policy is detrimentally loaded.

silky16v

posted on 6/9/12 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

wierd as mine was less than £100 fully-comp they pay out for parts and i re-build it

maybe its bike engines that affects the policy might be worth asking 1 of the insurance guys on here if thats the case

Proby

posted on 6/9/12 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Pickles were the cheapest by £200 when I reinsured the F27. Pickles will only insure over 30's on a BEC. It's strange how some of the others offered to match his price afterwards, but could get nowhere near at first. Ggrrrrrr pisses me right off.

Visit GraphicMonster

Davg

posted on 6/9/12 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Dave
Think you prob knew the original quote was too good to be true & hey presto it was based on the full facts. Yep it is a BEC!

They seem to be doing the fair thing and have offerred you full refund or pay the additinal! Choice is yours.

cheers
D

------------------------------------------------------------------------

jossey

posted on 6/9/12 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
It's only a bike engine in a bike it's now a 1.1 engine etc

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 6/9/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I cant beleieve they didnt ask what the source engine make was from the word go.
Insurers suck.

Mistral Motorsport

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 6/9/12 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Davegtst - I only got mine insured with sureterm because you went through the hassle of getting the cheapest quote. They even asked me what the engine was from and what cc it is at the time of the quote.

I didn't sign pages 1 and 2 of their 3 page form, so it came back in the post today and has gone back to them tonight. Mine isn't registered yet, so I don't know if this is going to make any difference, they've just insured me on a VIN number. Watch this space and I'll let you know if mine gets increased for their stupidity.

Mine came in at £140.01 fully comp for the year with limited mileage of 3000 miles.

Davegtst

posted on 6/9/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davg
Dave
Think you prob knew the original quote was too good to be true & hey presto it was based on the full facts. Yep it is a BEC!

They seem to be doing the fair thing and have offerred you full refund or pay the additinal! Choice is yours.

cheers
D

Yes it was the best quote but loads of other people on here have quotes at £150 ish so i didn't think it was too good to be true. Next best quote were adrian flux who were £40 more and they did ask where the engine came from.

greenwood03

posted on 12/9/12 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
i think you've had a touch getting a full refund, yes they were wrong not to ask - but that won't be the 1st time that;'s happened and i'd wager there's a fair few folks who haven't got the cover they think they have - similar really to getting a turbo'd car insured: knowing full well that it's a turbo but just admitting to it being a 2 litre. ( that isn't in any way suggesting that folks are wrong not to declare, but i;d suggest that it's reasonable wisdom to double check. We all know that underwriters will wriggle or at best stick to the letter of the policy - not just the schedule, but the actual policy docs).

FWIW someone asked about Pickles.....they often struggle with BEC's. I know Barry at Pickles pretty well and we've had umpteen conversations about schemes that are offered by the various brokers. For whatever reason the underwriters they use ( which are likely to be the same as XYZ broker ) don't generally make the same scheme available to them.

Also FWIW.....i had the misfortune to have a whack earlier in the year, i'm glad that i was with Pickles, because although the claim is handled by the underwriters - i was able to ask for their help when things got bogged down and messy. The result was a swift kick up the backside for teh underwriters and the issue was solved. Having insured in the past with another broker mentioned in this thread i'd probably still be 'on hold' .......

my own top tips>
check, check and check again.......especially when it comes to things like agreed value, check that aspect indepth BEFORE parting with cash, i've heard of instances where premiums were agreed only for the AV to be messed around with when the policy docs came through....by which time depending on that initial conversation, it may well be too late to cancel to get a refund!

http://southernkitcars.comIntermarque Club for owners in the South/South East

vanepico

posted on 12/9/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure trading standards would have something to say if they didn't offer a full refund, when you entered all the questions they asked. The fact that the insurance company phoned up either means that kit car insurance companys are not as bastardized as standard ones, or they knew they were liable.

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

Davegtst

posted on 27/9/12 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
All's well that ends well. I had a call yesterday from their customer services saying that they were wrong to cancel it and they should have paid the extra as it was their fault. Got a letter today saying they are going to give me a further £85 refund on top of the full refund they have already paid! £35 for the extra i had to pay to a different insurance company and £50 as compensation for their poor service.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.