Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Must be mad , bought a midget
Lightning

posted on 10/12/12 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Must be mad , bought a midget

But what fun to drive. I'm 6'4" and yet fit.

Well its a Mk3 1972 1275 Round wheel arch.

The panels all seem good, but the panel fit is none to good. So thats the first job. Paint is ok but the bonnets is not the same colour, next job. Repaint the dash, paint inside of floors, New sound deadening, new carpets. Fix heater find rattle of plates somewhere. fix fuel sender etc etc.

But it drives great.

Post pics soon.

Anyone else got one??

Steve

jossey

posted on 10/12/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
....?????

[Edited on 10/12/12 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 10/12/12 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Genius

Welcome to the Leyland darkside by the way. A mixture of genius a stupidity all rolled into one!

Paul_C

posted on 10/12/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
If you park near a high kerb with the hood up you might find it difficult to get out.
austin man

posted on 10/12/12 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
at least you got the best engines one the 1500 was crap.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

jabs

posted on 10/12/12 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I'm nearly into the second year of restoring a 1979 1500 midget. It will be ready 2013 honest. All rust has been replaced by real metal, the body has been painted and the engine overhauled, have just started to trim the interior.

When the weather gets a bit warmer I'll paint the doors, wings and bonnet and finish assembly then I'll get to drive it for the first time on it's way for an MOT :-)

v8kid

posted on 10/12/12 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yup I had one and painted it a Cooool mustard colour. We could, and did, fit a McLaren carry cot in the space behind the seats!

Front trunnions are a bugger to ream without the correred tool apart from that all you need is 3 sizes of adjustable spanners and a length of Bunsen burner gas hose (to tune the twin SU's with every 100 miles )

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr tone

posted on 10/12/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yes i have a 1972 mk111 round wheel arch as well.Thought i might fit a K series engine but love it with the 1275,great fun.Its red

Tony

deltron63

posted on 10/12/12 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
How strange, I,ve been toying with the idea of a zetec midget
NigeEss

posted on 10/12/12 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
My first car was a Teal blue ,'73 round arch Midget, loved it.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Lightning

posted on 10/12/12 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
naa, cant put a fast engine in. That would defeat the idea of having a car that feels and sounds like its doing 70 at 40.

bucket loads of smiles

Steve

Surrey Dave

posted on 10/12/12 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Steady!

I had a nice RWA 1275 midget , good fun but you would want to go too fast with that handling , lever arm shocks nice!, and about 14.7 mph per 1000 revs, got it around 6000 in top gear, seemed like about 300mph!!

I also had a Midget 1500 ,replaced the standard exhaust manifold with a 4 branch made the engine a lot more free revving, i unbolted one of the big bumpers once , I was nearly killed they weigh a ton!!, I put a spax telescopic damper kit on the back ,that calmed it down a bit.

I would really love a Frogeye Sprite but it looks unlikely I will afford one ,they are getting pricey, drum brakes and about 40bhp groovy!!

Jed

posted on 11/12/12 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
I'm restoring one at the moment and it will have a Toyota 4AGE engine in it when done. Glad to hear that you fit ok because that was a concern of mine.
MakeEverything

posted on 11/12/12 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
ive had two. great fun. On a serious note, do watch for high kerbs as the bottom of the doors are susceptible to hitting them when you park up, particularly when you get in and the suspension sags with the door open.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

DH2

posted on 11/12/12 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, I've got one... except it is one of those "crap" ones with a 1500 engine.

Make sure you poke everywhere with a screwdriver - rust is the worst enemy of these cars, everything else is pretty simple.
Also as said, ensure you keep the front suspension regularly greased.

Sideways round every corner at low speed, what's not to like?

DH2

Lightning

posted on 11/12/12 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
As regards the doors on kerbs. They are much higher than my Chimaera, that has a problem with the lowest of kerbs

The midget drives extremely well but is crying out for another gear.

i must get rid of the Spire GTR in the summer. I had someone who wanted it, but I think was put off when his 20 stone backside would not fit in Triton seats! it also affected the power to weight ratio somewhat

[Edited on 11/12/12 by Lightning]

Steve

Surrey Dave

posted on 11/12/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9

Don't they do a bellhousing kit to fit 5 speed type 9 ford gearbox, I don't think it's locost tho'
02GF74

posted on 11/12/12 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
still no pictures?

i had '72 MGB and with the drivers seat all the way back I could not reach the pedals (& im not a midget)

often wish I kept it - would have been tax exempt now - went ok with my DIY HS6 conversion

Lightning

posted on 16/12/12 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Steve

Lightning

posted on 16/12/12 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Bugger thought I had resized them

Steve

austin man

posted on 16/12/12 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
There is a conversion kit to fit the Type nine box and also a company who do a different front suspension set up. which totally changed the handling.

http://www.frontlinedevelopments.com/products/midget/5speed-sr-with-1275cc.shtml

The Austin in my Avtar used midget suspension and drivetrain, I ran a 1009 with the fylinder head from an Automatic Metro they have bigger valves, a 1 1/2" SU K&N filter Kent Cam and stright through exhaust it flew from a standing start but top end was pants 90mph and screaming like a banshee

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Bare

posted on 16/12/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Had a Bugeye once... fitted it with a 1275 'S' engine, tweaked of course: Balanced, Bored, Cam, Ported, 1 1/2 SU's headers etc Went well :-) Trans was too easy to overpower the primitive synchros tho.
Although the 1/4 elliptic rear suspension of the Bugeyes was Far better than the later Spridgets, so handling was at least passable. Still at ~100mph the thing had cowl shake that was frightening!
Had to hold the top of the windshield frame to calm it.. some.
Best as a memory rather than the reality.

[Edited on 16/12/12 by Bare]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.