Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Understanding Oil Grades - stupid question
Rek

posted on 26/6/13 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Understanding Oil Grades - stupid question

Sorry for the thick question but I'm after some advice on Oil and grades etc.. Oil has always been a black art to me (no pun intended). and reading things I've Googled doesn't really make it clearer (which is probably why I've got a big collection of mostly empty oil containers waiting for a home!).

Basically I've been scratching round trying to find the right tranny oil for my sons pride and joy baby Daihatsu and came across the info below.

My question is that when I looked for the oil in the factors it had a note on the 80-90 diff oil that said it can be used for 75-90 and exceeds gl-4 spec.. It didn't help that the two blokes behind the counter then couldn't agree on an answer...

So basically can I just buy a big container of the Diff oil and use it everywhere (assuming when I spin the rear wheels it doesn't have an LSD!!)

Gearbox:
API Gl-3 or GL-4
SAE 75W-85 or 75W-90
2.25 Litres

Transfer Oil:
API Gl-3 or GL-4
SAE 75W-85 or 75W-90
1.6 Litres

Front Diff:
API GL-5
SAE 80W-90
0.7 Litre

Rear Diff:
API GL-5
SAE 80W-90
1.55 Litres

yours prol wont have but check
Rear Diff LSD:
API GL-5
SAE 80W-90 LSD
1.55 Litres

mookaloid

posted on 26/6/13 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
No not really.

The GL4 and the GL5 are quite different.

The GL-5 is the top spec, highest additive, most extreme duty hypoid oil but it is only to be used where the manufacturer specifies it because the additives can attack certain bearing materials.

The GL4 is a lower spec but doesn't have the corrosive additives so it can be more widely used but isn't good enough where the manufacturer specifies GL-5.

I Believe.......

Cheers

mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

britishtrident

posted on 26/6/13 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
No you need a GL4 oil and a GL5 hypoid oil while all Gl5 exceed GL4 oils in performance the GL5 oil contains additives that are not good for bronze parts gearboxes.
If you ever have to top up a gearbox and have no GL4 oil available 10w/40 engine is OK for small top ups.

GL5 LS oils are the same as ordinary hypoid oils but contain added shulphur and other friction modifiers.

If pushed you can top up an LSD with ordinary GL5 oil provided only small quantity of oil is required to restore the level

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Rek

posted on 26/6/13 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I see now.. that makes more sense. thanks...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.