Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First car insurance 17year old
six mad

posted on 13/10/13 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
First car insurance 17year old

My son is looking for a car!

17years old question is, Is a newer 1.2 litre car eg fiat punto,ford ka etc the cheapest to insure
or is a older mini or other small classic better? Are there any classic policies available for young drivers?

Thanks in advance.

morcus

posted on 13/10/13 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, I wouldnt bother as its not worth the cost. You'll have a job to get a classic policy for a 17 year old who doesnt have another car.

Dont assume the smallest engine will be cheapest, ive heard sometimes its better to go for a 1.6 mondeo or simillar.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

omega0684

posted on 13/10/13 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
What about something like a Kia Cee'd not known as a "HOT HATCH" to the insurnace companies.

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rpm

posted on 13/10/13 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
My son has had his insurance on a classic mini for a year now, it cost £1600 which was as cheap or cheaper than a modern car, it's in his own name so he's just earn't a years no claims and it's gone down to £950, I know the arguments about old car safety but it's a car that is cheap and dead easy to repair/fix, also because of lack of refinement I maintain that he is now a better driver having learnt on the car as he has to consider things like road condition/potholes and other road users disregarding him as it's a small relatively slow car with ancient suspension. He also likes it as it's considered a "cool" car with his friends, he's only considering changing it as it's too small for his needs (he's 6'3 tall)
ReMan

posted on 13/10/13 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Daugters first car at 17 car was UNMODIFIED Corsa 1.4 that was cheaper than manty to insure for OK performance and reliability

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

iank

posted on 13/10/13 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC someone suggested a Rover 25 was one of the cheapest options.
Beware small cars that young people buy (especially ones they choose to buy) as they'll look bad in the statistics.

Worth doing some shopping around for different potential models on the comparison sites.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

fesycresy

posted on 13/10/13 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Citroen C1 (or 107 / Aygo)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Scuzzle

posted on 13/10/13 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently a Citroen 2CV is the absolute cheapest car for a youngster just passed their test to insure. I've heard Corsa's are one of the cheaper modern cars as well.
I would not be keen on letting a young lad get behind the wheel of a classic car for his first car, better something current and run of the mill with modern safety features to make his mistakes in.

[Edited on 13/10/13 by Scuzzle]

snapper

posted on 14/10/13 at 05:08 AM Reply With Quote
A mates daughter runs a 1968 1100 MG Midget, cue apish to insure and very cool

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Rek

posted on 14/10/13 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
My 17 year old son is 900 for a Terios with the AA.. Not the most exciting car admittedly but it does the job..

[Edited on 14/10/13 by Rek]

jimgiblett

posted on 14/10/13 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
"Insure the box" and "Drive like a girl" gave the best premium for my 17yo son with a 2006 Grande Punto 1.4sport. Watch out for the insurance step up when they pass there test though. That's why we swapped from ITB to DLaG (the refund process was simpler as they are both owned by the same company).

These policies require a black box to be fitted to the car and they will not fit to a lot of older cars.

In case you are tempted whilst he insurance companies have wised up on "fronting" where the main driver is not the parent that the policy was taken out on.

Frankly modern cars are much safer place to be when there are so many numptys driving around in big heavy cars.

- Jim

Dingz

posted on 14/10/13 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Rather differently a lad I worked with bought an old Landrover as his first car, was much cheaper to insure than 'normal' cars poor fuel consumption of course, but good fun, it was some time ago though.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

Ninehigh

posted on 14/10/13 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
What about something like a Kia Cee'd not known as a "HOT HATCH" to the insurnace companies.

Yeah that's what Kia's own insurance company told me too, that "Boy racers don't have a Cee'd estate diesel"

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 14/10/13 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
"Insure the box" and "Drive like a girl" gave the best premium for my 17yo son with a 2006 Grande Punto 1.4sport. Watch out for the insurance step up when they pass there test though. That's why we swapped from ITB to DLaG (the refund process was simpler as they are both owned by the same company).

These policies require a black box to be fitted to the car and they will not fit to a lot of older cars.

In case you are tempted whilst he insurance companies have wised up on "fronting" where the main driver is not the parent that the policy was taken out on.

Frankly modern cars are much safer place to be when there are so many numptys driving around in big heavy cars.

- Jim

+1 on the black box. AA drivesafe for my daughter. Black box fitted. No price hike after passing her test and last month we got a £30 refund because she "drove like a girl"...

theconrodkid

posted on 14/10/13 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
http://everythingandanything.co.uk/video-worst-driver-ever-woman-takes-hilarious-four-minutes-reverse-parking-space/

drive like a girl you say ?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 14/10/13 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
http://everythingandanything.co.uk/video-worst-driver-ever-woman-takes-hilarious-four-minutes-reverse-parking-space/

drive like a girl you say ?

Lol! I'll have to ask if that was her

fha772

posted on 14/10/13 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
There's something to be said for having an oddball car for your first.
When I passed my test back in 1991, the cheapest quote we could get for my mum's 998cc Metro, with MG interior, and alloys, was £960 TPFT.
I went out and bought a 6.7 litre 450bhp Chevy v8 powered Jeep J20 pick up, with a 6 inch suspension lift and 44" tyres, and that was £370 fully comp!!
But the down side was 12mpg average...
(But it was fun setting car alarms off just by driving past parked cars!!)

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

mcerd1

posted on 21/10/13 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
my first car was quite cheap to insure - just a 1.1 fiesta, but instead of being 5-10 years old like everyone else mine was a 21 year old mk1 in 'oyster gold' [i.e. metallic beige] :lol:

but once a car gets over ~25 years old most normal insurance companies start putting the price up

the only way to find out for sure what the cheapest insurance will be is to get lots and lots of quotes - also look into insuring the car in your name with him as a 'named Main driver' (perfectly legal as long as they know he's the main driver and thats written into the policy)

[Edited on 21/10/2013 by mcerd1]

-

Not Anumber

posted on 21/10/13 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone tried adding a learner to their insurance on a 7 ?

My daughter is 17 next year and I'm wondering about her learning on the MK as she will learn a lot more about braking and handling than on a modern heated granny cage with ABS and air con.

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/10/13 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
how about something like an old landrover? can't even go fast anyway, strong and safe, certainly not considered a boyracer car by anyone

When my little girl is at the point of getting a car that's exactly what she'll be given to use

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.