Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diesel help, does my L200 have a DPF
r1_pete

posted on 28/11/13 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Diesel help, does my L200 have a DPF

I know very little about diesels, hence my L200 has been dealer serviced from new...

Its a 2010 Raging Bull model with the 4D56T engine, question is does it have a Diesel Particulate Filter? where is it and what does it look like?

Is it worth having it removed?, I do about 10,000 a year in 15 - 20 mile trips, probably a 300 miler each month.

Its the second L200 I've had, and I do like it, nothing on the marlket I prefer, even the late 2010 on L200 is longer, so would like to keep it at least another 2 years, hence my wonderings.

Cheers.

Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 28/11/13 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
2010 model diesel will have a DPF.

Removing them typically requires reprogramming the ECU to "delete" the DPF function otherwise the engine management will see a fault. You may encounter MoT issues with it removed and I believe the MoT rules are tightening on this sort of modification.

Your driving pattern isn't ideal for a DPF as they need to get good and hot for a reasonable time to "regenerate". That said, a good razz up the motorway once in a while should be adequate.

PSpirine

posted on 28/11/13 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
The 300 mile trip every month should take care of regeneration.

I wouldn't remove the DPF until/unless it fails.

steve m

posted on 28/11/13 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
My Mondeo goes into a regen about once every couple of months, and more in the winter
as my daily mileage is probably about 15 miles

On the Mondeo I know when its happening as the aircon fans come on, the car feels sluggish, almost as if the brakes are on,
and sometimes the engine light comes on, also it has a very odd smell from the exhaust

when it does happen, I take it down the motorway at 3.5k revs for about 10mins swing round at an exit, keeping the revs above 3k and drive home at 3k plus,
by the time I am home, its as clean as a clean thing !

the whole DPF system, in my mind is a total waste of time, as I seem to have to burn more fuel, and kick all the shite out of the back albeit on a motorway

One thing I have experienced is that if I use "good" fuel ie shell optimax Bp etc, I do not seem to have the above problems
if I use supermarket crap fuel, then I do,

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

r1_pete

posted on 28/11/13 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, guess I'll just leave it alone and keep up the long runs as often as possible.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 28/11/13 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
I had mine removed and the ecu reprogrammed.

All because living round here I dont use motorways (theres only 1 here)and 3 mile treck to work wrecks everything. My journeys are not long enough for a regen and why should I just go for a run to get it going? Thats wasting my money!

Whats the point of having a filter that fills up then uses fuel to burn the soot off?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

stevegough

posted on 18/1/14 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Bad News, Guys.

Just found out that check for a removed DPF is part of the MOT from Feb 2014.

Pretty annoyed about this - had mine removed from my Skoda VRS nearly a year ago, had been reassured from a few knowledgeable people that it was highly unlikely to ever come in to the MOT test as it was only required in certain EU cities.

Link to GOV. announcement.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

SteveWalker

posted on 18/1/14 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
If the casing is still there, are they going to be able to spot that the DPF has been removed during an MOT?
garyo

posted on 18/1/14 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Also consider that the dpf is normally there to deal with the consequences of running an egr system, so consider blanking that too if mpg optimisation is the only objective.
stevegough

posted on 18/1/14 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
If the casing is still there, are they going to be able to spot that the DPF has been removed during an MOT?

Yes. Emissions might just give it away!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

r1_pete

posted on 18/1/14 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
So in reality these filters just move the pollution from one place to another, and in the meantime cost the motorist in order to do the long journeys to regen the filters, and increase emissions due to the unnecessary mileage.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.