Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Raw Striker
gazza2271

posted on 15/12/13 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Raw Striker

Hi All

Been looking at building a kit car for a while now and visited quiet a few shows and looked on the net for many hours doing research.
the one good thing that draws me to the striker by raw is its about 15mins down the road from me in hereford so will be local if i have any issues when building.
been looking on the net for a while and seen a couple of build blogs but not many about or i cant find many sites or blogs wise on the striker ? so just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of any more info on them ?
has anyone on here built r own own one whats you reviews on them if you have ?
one thing that im worried about is being 6ft1" will the striker be to small for me ?

cheers

daniel mason

posted on 15/12/13 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
plenty have them on here. nice cars. look at bigfoots (richards) vids on youtube. pretty impressive!

gazza2271

posted on 15/12/13 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
looked on youtube but could not find any info on builds on there ?
daniel mason

posted on 15/12/13 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
was talking about the performance really!
loggyboy on here has done a ew nice touches on his!

gazza2271

posted on 15/12/13 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
ahh right yea seen plenty on the track and road and all look great, will try and find some posts/links on here then ?
matt_gsxr

posted on 15/12/13 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe ask on
http://www.jpsc-online.co.uk/
and
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/Sylva-Chat

Not difficult to put together. Finding the right donor parts is the most challenging bit.

gazza2271

posted on 15/12/13 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
looking to get a new reg so all parts will be brand new with zetec engine, am i right in thinking i can have 1 recon part which in most cases will be the drive chain ?
INDY BIRD

posted on 15/12/13 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi sold mine recently to a chap who was over 6ft,

With the roll caged I had designed and made I had to lower the floor by 40 mm for him, then he fitted no problems,

Quite a bit of leg room in the striker, also peddles are a good width,

Cracking cars and handle really well, one of the best kits I've owned and I have had a few,

With bike engines they are very light cars nimble and very predicatable with it,

I'd have another tomorrow,

Good luck and must say Callum and the crew are very easy to deal with professional all e time.

Go for it you won't regret it,

Only down side I see to the striker is it dosnt hold it's value as well as other kits out there for some reason,

Cheers

Sean

Pic of my old car

raw striker
raw striker

[Edited on 15/12/13 by INDY BIRD]

gazza2271

posted on 15/12/13 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
cheers dont suppose you know if the factory offer a lowered floor ? sent them an email today with lots of questions so hope to have a reply asap

im looking to buy the basics then but the packs from them as and when i need/want them if i can do it that ?

yours looks great im thinking i want Kawasaki green with black ? not sure what colour options they offer cant seem to fnd anything on there site about it ?

also on yours what are the bars on the side for ? the ones that stick out from the roll gage frame ?

quote:
Originally posted by INDY BIRD
Hi sold mine recently to a chap who was over 6ft,

With the roll caged I had designed and made I had to lower the floor by 40 mm for him, then he fitted no problems,

Quite a bit of leg room in the striker, also peddles are a good width,

Cracking cars and handle really well, one of the best kits I've owned and I have had a few,

With bike engines they are very light cars nimble and very predicatable with it,

I'd have another tomorrow,

Good luck and must say Callum and the crew are very easy to deal with professional all e time.

Go for it you won't regret it,

Only down side I see to the striker is it dosnt hold it's value as well as other kits out there for some reason,

Cheers

Sean

Pic of my old car

raw striker
raw striker

[Edited on 15/12/13 by INDY BIRD]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 15/12/13 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
As Sean says above, great cars, build blogs here

http://rawstrikerbuild.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=149348

But my advice would be to buy a complete road registered car, and rebuild it to your spec.
As average build of good a quality Striker new, will cost you £10000, to £14000 depending on spec and a load of hassle

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

gazza2271

posted on 15/12/13 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
a load of hassle in what way ? the reason i dont realy want a built one is i want to know exactly how its all been built and want the end product to be personal to me so t speak
PAUL FISHER

posted on 15/12/13 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
All I am saying, if you want to build one from new, expect to pay for it, as you can pick a very nice Striker up for £8000, this would be what someone has just spent £12000 £14000 building for the last 2 years, you pay your money and make your choice, but having built 2 kit cars from new, I would never build another again, unless the price of the kits and parts came down by about 40%, cheers Paul

And thats before all the stress of the IVA, which engine to fit to pass the cat test etc, and near £500 for the IVA test itself

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

gazza2271

posted on 15/12/13 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ah i see what you are saying, and to be honest im hoping to spread the cost over a year or 2 and from what i can work out from the raw site is the whole kit will be about 12k then vat so about 14.5k ? yes i could pick one up all ready registered etc but like i say i want to build my own and budget is not so much of issue if i can spread it over a few years.
rdodger

posted on 15/12/13 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
There was one for sale on JPSC forum. Already registered then fully stripped down part rebuilt. Very cheap. Not sure if it's still available.
INDY BIRD

posted on 15/12/13 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Bars at the side I made they are for side impact, as your arms sticks out the side as interior is small hence vonerable to impact side and these will add a little protection to you,

Think raw also make them as add ons to the roll cage,

My car sold for 10k and was very hi spec,

As Paul said I won't build form new again as the hassle and cost l

But if you need to spread the cost ove fa few years then possible to build and pic up some 2nd hand parts to keep costs down,

I'm not sure if the offer lower floor I made mine easy to do,

Good luck

Sean

emlyno

posted on 15/12/13 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you are just down the road from RAW why not pop in to see them. I'm sure they'd be only too pleased to show you their product. Half the fun of kit cars is the building of them.
JimSpencer

posted on 15/12/13 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza2271
a load of hassle in what way ? the reason i dont realy want a built one is i want to know exactly how its all been built and want the end product to be personal to me so t speak

Hi

Got a Striker too, and this one isn't for sale

The main reason for the 'hassle' is the IVA test - you spend a chunk of cash on it, a smaller chunk setting the car to pass it and another to put the car back to how it would be if you didn't have to bother with it and just had to MoT it.
Thousands if you add it together.

So the advice above is very sound IMHO comes down to this I reckon:-

There are enough Strikers out there to find one in more or less the spec you want.

Then strip it down to the very last nut and bolt, change it back to a 'Kit'.
Build it back up as you see fit.
Fill in a nice simple form if you change the colour or the engine.
Have it MoT'd and off you go.

You still get the 'Kit' experience - but seeing as you took it apart you'll know how to put it back together and learn from the other bloke's mistakes at the same time.

It'll be about half of the cost.

Ohh and when you've finished - it'll fly, you can outclass lots of nice bits of machinery in a properly sorted Striker.

peter030371

posted on 15/12/13 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
There was one for sale on JPSC forum. Already registered then fully stripped down part rebuilt. Very cheap. Not sure if it's still available.

I should be picking that one up on the 28th

I have had a Striker since 1995 and its a great car which I love...hence I am buying clangers

They are very small but at just over 6` 2" I can get in fine even with a soft top fitted.

bimbleuk

posted on 16/12/13 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
I owned a Striker for 7 years. The initial build, using standard Sierra bits but with a Toyota motor, was very quick so we could take it to a track day and thrash it round making a list of things to sort as we did. Then I guess I spent the next two years going back over it changing all the little details to my preference! Not to mention the 3 major engine changes after that!

I'm also 6'2" but with particularly long legs. You shouldn't have any issue with the standard foam bench seats. To fit bucket style seats I had them raise the top of the pedal box to accommodate my big feet on the pedals. That may now be a standard option but it's worth checking for on any pre-built you look at. The driver side is bigger as the engine is offset to balance the car with one up.

[Edited on 16-12-13 by bimbleuk]

BDMStriker

posted on 16/12/13 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JimSpencer
quote:
Originally posted by gazza2271

Hi

Got a Striker too, and this one isn't for sale

The main reason for the 'hassle' is the IVA test - you spend a chunk of cash on it, a smaller chunk setting the car to pass it and another to put the car back to how it would be if you didn't have to bother with it and just had to MoT it.
Thousands if you add it together.

So the advice above is very sound IMHO comes down to this I reckon:-

There are enough Strikers out there to find one in more or less the spec you want.

Then strip it down to the very last nut and bolt, change it back to a 'Kit'.
Build it back up as you see fit.
Fill in a nice simple form if you change the colour or the engine.
Have it MoT'd and off you go.

You still get the 'Kit' experience - but seeing as you took it apart you'll know how to put it back together and learn from the other bloke's mistakes at the same time.

It'll be about half of the cost.

Ohh and when you've finished - it'll fly, you can outclass lots of nice bits of machinery in a properly sorted Striker.

Exactly this......

i was trawling for a kit for ages when my bosses friend had a neglected one sat in his garage since 2001

barring the riveted panets its been a nut and bolt rebuild, Mine being the older Sylva build striker,

this way all the niggles have already been done, theres a few things i didnt like about the biuld originally so you get chance to really think about how you want to adapt them,

been one with mine since feb 2013, and will be rocking and rolling come march 2014, plus you have the added advantage of already being registered, so no IVA, its already been done for you,

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.