Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Airbags and Seatbelts
Rek

posted on 22/12/13 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Airbags and Seatbelts

My young Nephew has been a lucky lad..

Hit a lamppost quite hard in a 55 plate fiesta, the cars a write off but I'm wondering but the Airbags didn't deploy, the damage was enough though that the engine shifted and the front legs are deformed.

I went to pick it up and the recovery guy said that he probably wasn't wearing a seatbelt, so my question is are they related, will an airbag only go off if you have a belt on?

britishtrident

posted on 22/12/13 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
To set the airbags off it takes 7+g measured at SRS sensors which are usually located in central area of the car.
In a frontal 3/4 impact it might take up to 20g to set off the airbags.

Of course this assumes the airbags haven't been disabled.

[Edited on 22/12/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mark chandler

posted on 22/12/13 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Hitting a lamppost is softer although very damaging as the car folds around the post, problem just under the deployment window
Rek

posted on 22/12/13 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks that makes sense to me. That sounds like a more severe impact than it had then.
madteg

posted on 22/12/13 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I have a307 that had a fault with air bag light staying on. The problem was the pre tensioner on the seat belt, so i would say they are linked together.
TrophyJem

posted on 22/12/13 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
I hit a lamp post head on at no more than 10mph in a ford sierra once and wrote it off.
I couldn't believe the damage it did.
I can imagine if you hit one at any speed it would cut a car in half.

britishtrident

posted on 22/12/13 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Wearing a seat belt or nor not has no effect on the operation of the SRS system.
The SRS ecu carries out start-up checks on the system sensors and air bags squibs and pre-tensioner squibs, these checks are just continuity checks.
A fault in any of the sensors generally disables the whole system and illuminates the SRS warning light.

The only air bag sensor directly related to the front seats occupants is the the seat occupancy sensors the purpose of which is to reduce injuries caused by airbags to small children.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

prawnabie

posted on 22/12/13 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Wearing a seat belt or nor not has no effect on the operation of the SRS system.
The SRS ecu carries out start-up checks on the system sensors and air bags squibs and pre-tensioner squibs, these checks are just continuity checks.
A fault in any of the sensors generally disables the whole system and illuminates the SRS warning light.

The only air bag sensor directly related to the front seats occupants is the the seat occupancy sensors the purpose of which is to reduce injuries caused by airbags to small children.

To add to the last bit a seat position sensor will also disable anti-submarine airbags under the seat to avoid damage to legs if the seat it too far forward.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.