Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Smoking in cars illegal when carrying children
r1_pete

posted on 11/2/14 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Smoking in cars illegal when carrying children

I don't smoke, and I don't think I have ever had a child in my last 2 cars, but what do we think of THIS BAN

My immediate though is what a waste of public money debating and passing the bill, how on earth can it be policed, using mobiles whilst driving is illegal, but every other car on the motorway has some numpty behind the wheel on a hand held.

Just a deeper dive into nannydom IMO

[Edited on 11/2/14 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 11/2/14 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I have to disagree to be honest, whilst I accept policing it is impossible I think banning it will stop some people doing it, I don't like to see it myself.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 11/2/14 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Anything that forces people to stop smoking is a good thing

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 11/2/14 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
I agree Ben, I'd also like to see lots of other things banned (since the meaning of such words as 'responsibility' and 'moral' are now banned to

Kit cars (dangerously fast, unnecessary, not Type Approved, no ENCAP...)
Driving of any kind on the road (really dangerous).
Motor racing
Horse riding(dangerously uneccessary)
Skiing
Motorcycles
Hang Gliding
Walking
Stairs
Baths
Windows
Hot Coffee

List is endless, but we must legislate and protect.

Continuous surveillance by the Gummit is really the only way forward here, backed up by several volumes of legislation, all to suit the ruling classes......

Government knows best.

Jon Ison

posted on 11/2/14 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Emotive subject and take your points, however non of the list above can be compared to placing a baby in a confined space and filling it with smoke, what the answer ? Do nothing ?

eta, if the law is passed I don't expect to see camera vans looking out for it, I would hope it would put some moral pressure on some not to sit a young child in a car full of smoke and for me that's the purpose of it.

[Edited on 11/2/14 by Jon Ison]

Duncan36

posted on 11/2/14 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
While i agree that smoking in a car where a child is present just isn't on. It should be a matter of common sense and morals rather than the slippery slope of making it law. Unfortunately alot of people have little of either and have to be forced to do the right thing.

Throwing cigarette butts out of the car window is classed as littering and really bugs me, but you never hear of anyone getting done for it. I did think it was illegal to light or extinguish a cigarette while driving, but that must of been an old wives tale.

www.acorn-printing.co.uk
www.tshirtuk.com

femster87

posted on 11/2/14 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
I must admit,it does really annoy me when i see parents with windows up smoking away and kids sat at the back
Peteff

posted on 11/2/14 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan36Throwing cigarette butts out of the car window is classed as littering and really bugs me, but you never hear of anyone getting done for it. I did think it was illegal to light or extinguish a cigarette while driving, but that must be an old wives tale.

Throwing anything out of the car window is littering, we followed a Bentley up the M18 the other day and he threw a triangular sandwich container out of the window at 70mph then continued to crack open a can of pop and hold a conversation on his phone. I reckon he must have had auto pilot engaged. Smoking in cars should be banned full stop, I used to smoke and while you are fiddling about lighting and flicking into the ashtray you are not paying full attention to what you are doing.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

nick205

posted on 11/2/14 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Anything that forces people to stop smoking is a good thing

My sentiments also.

adithorp

posted on 11/2/14 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
It should be illegal to smoke in the presence of children. Long term that'd be a lot more effective than the current restrictions.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

hughpinder

posted on 11/2/14 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
I recently had to attend a speed awareness course. During the course the guy giving it (accident investigator for the region) says all the speed vans around hull are now testing trial software that can tell if you are holding a phone to your face "and some other things", and are pretty much 100% accurate, so expect the automated 'using phone while driving' fines o start dropping through the door shortly. I would expect it will be quie easy to adapt the image recognition software for smoking detection.
Hugh

Duncan36

posted on 11/2/14 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Couldn't agree more Pete. I hate littering of any type, i booted someone out of my car for doing it when i was young, in hindsight it wans't a clever thing to do on the A38 in Devon, but i bet they thought twice about doing it again.

Just before christmas a guy in a van in front of me was throwing litter out of the window, so i took photos and put it on his own social media, twitter and facebook as well as the well used facebook page for the village. Hopefully that got the message across.

www.acorn-printing.co.uk
www.tshirtuk.com

twybrow

posted on 11/2/14 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
I support it. Yes it would be nice to think that common sense and morals would be enough to ensure people don't smoke in a car with children, but the reality is you see it all the time, and I deplore it. I am not expecting the police to suddenly start nicking people for it (has anyone been done for middle lane hogging since the law was brought in?), but I do expect it will start to make a difference, and start to make people change their habits. Eventually it will be like dog poo - when I was young, it was everywhere and it was socially accepted to let your dog crap where it wants. Nowadays, it is not socially acceptable, and the change in behaviour is quite clear to see. I hope the same is true for smoking in cars (and in any other confined spaces with children present).
joneh

posted on 11/2/14 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan36
While i agree that smoking in a car where a child is present just isn't on. It should be a matter of common sense and morals rather than the slippery slope of making it law. Unfortunately alot of people have little of either and have to be forced to do the right thing.

Throwing cigarette butts out of the car window is classed as littering and really bugs me, but you never hear of anyone getting done for it. I did think it was illegal to light or extinguish a cigarette while driving, but that must of been an old wives tale.

As you said, unfortunately the people who smoke in cars with children have neither common sense or morals. I blame health and safety laws that have kept these people alive, whilst polluting the human gene pool. Luckily websites such as neck nominate are trying to counter act this!

jeffw

posted on 11/2/14 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
The people who care about being caught doing this are already (by and large) not smoking in childrens presence. The people who don't give a toss will continue as they don't care about being caught. All a bit silly really.

BangedupTiger

posted on 11/2/14 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
If people don't have the common sense not to smoke when kids are in the car, I doubt they have the common sense to follow the law.

But it's virtually impossible to police. Not to mention a huge waste of police time.

swanny

posted on 11/2/14 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
agree with most of the above. cant see how they will police it. I still see kids roaming about in the back of cars not belted in. (saw one last night in fact)

is it illegal to eat whilst driving?
if so how is it legal to hold/light a smouldering piece of paper/dried leaves?

if I lit a candle whilst driving would I get done?

paul

twybrow

posted on 11/2/14 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swanny
agree with most of the above. cant see how they will police it. I still see kids roaming about in the back of cars not belted in. (saw one last night in fact)

is it illegal to eat whilst driving?
if so how is it legal to hold/light a smouldering piece of paper/dried leaves?

if I lit a candle whilst driving would I get done?

paul

It is illegal to do any of that if the police can show you were distracted by it. People have been prosecuted for eating a sandwich (or similar) as they were distracted (and hence driving without due care and attention) was the charge. You can be done for the same by lighting a cigarette if you are seen to be distracted by it (like those who drop the smouldering end in their crotch, and panic!).

sdh2903

posted on 11/2/14 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
As much as I agree with the sentiments of the law it will never stop the numptys who actually do it. The same with mobile phones, I see more people driving whilst on the phone now than ever before.
coyoteboy

posted on 11/2/14 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

is it illegal to eat whilst driving? if so how is it legal to hold/light a smouldering piece of paper/dried leaves?

It's illegal to faff with the stereo if it distracts you from the road and the police catch you at it. The key is that it used to be down to police discretion and sense, now it's being hard wired because people can't follow common sense. Same with smoking in a car with a kid, if people can't use their brains they'll have it forced on them.

And the poor police have to keep up.

steve m

posted on 11/2/14 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
ive never been caught shaving, while on the way to work

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/2/14 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Considering loads of young mothers to be still smoke while pregnant to deliberately stunt their baby’s growth so that they will have an easier birth, I’m sure it will accomplish absolutely nothing, as some folk care little about their own health far less that of others.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jeffw

posted on 11/2/14 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
My Mother (as did all of them in that generation) smoked all through pregnancy with me (and my Sisters) and none of us can be considered to be stunted. Different times....

twybrow

posted on 11/2/14 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
My Mother (as did all of them in that generation) smoked all through pregnancy with me (and my Sisters) and none of us can be considered to be stunted. Different times....

And the Victorians used to lick lead and arsenic for health reasons - but our knowledge and understanding of the impacts grows and changes our behaviour (I am not saying you are condoning smoking during pregnancy)!

jacko

posted on 11/2/14 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
As much as I agree with the sentiments of the law it will never stop the numptys who actually do it. The same with mobile phones, I see more people driving whilst on the phone now than ever before.

I bet most would stop if they had there car taken off them and band them from driving for 3 years
Jacko

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.