Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA fail.
MsD

posted on 3/4/14 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
IVA fail.

I had my first shot at the IVA today at Carlisle today and as I was expecting it failed on a few little points that slipped my mind and a few other slightly more tricky ones. Any help an advice is more than welcome! On a side note I can thoroughly recommend Andrew at Carlisle.. Firm but fair!

1/- Steering effort. No self centring effort- This was something I knew about but I didn't know to what degree until getting into a wide open car park and watching my newly finished 7 heading at a rather sharp angle towards a parked up BMW! I have a few solutions to this but I'm going to start with replacing the steering column plastic bush with a proper bearing and then if that doesn't help messing about with rose-jointed top wishbones to get more castor angle. Does anyone know a good supplier of the bearing?

2/- interior fittings- The bloody radius test!- Something id completely overlooked; I had a brake warning light that was fitted outside of the steering wheel exemption zone. Just needs moving or a little bit of trim fitting.

3/- Direction indicators- My indicators are flashing too fast. The right hand side flashes fast but the left hand side flashes even faster. This has me puzzled as I thought they use the same circuit? The hazards seem to be at the right speed though. Any suggestions? I've thought about messing about with a variable resistor inline and setting to suit.

4/- Identification controls- I made and then removed the symbols on my light switch and horn but forgot to replace them! Idiot mistake and I could have kicked myself when I noticed!

5/- Masses and Dimensions- 'the maximum design rear axle weight must be equal to or greater then the calculated weight.' Put simply I didn't put a high enough figure of my paperwork. I put 450kg and it weighed at 462kg. Was told to write a letter stating it needs to be changed to 500kg and bring it with me for the retest and it would be added into my paperwork.

So all in all a bloody stressfull day but well worth it and I have a relatively simple list of points to sort out and I can get on with re-testing and getting in on the road for summer

Any help/tips appreciated, Mark.

adithorp

posted on 3/4/14 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hard luck! We've seen a lot worse and at least you now know exactly what to work on.

I'll go out on a limb here but... Changing the column bearing won't fix the self centering issue; You need to add several degrees of castor. A few dodges that might help are increasing the tyre presures and adding a load of toe-out, but they are just temporary dodges and not a solution.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

theprisioner

posted on 3/4/14 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
The self centring can be improved by towing out and messing about with the pressures, your bearing may make some difference.

The flashers speed is proportional to load less load = faster flashers. Either a repeater is out or one of your bulbs is the wrong wattage or both.

Best of luck with the retest! Congratulation on progress!

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

snapper

posted on 3/4/14 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Toe out a bit and 30+ psi
Get a sequencing flasher as used with led lights that'll sort it
The rest you know
Design weight is what the will take loaded not what it is
So axle weight + some + 75Kg per person split between both axles + 25Kg luggage each seat ( may be 15Kg)

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

myke pocock

posted on 3/4/14 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yes agree, Andrew is a top bloke, there to do the job correctly but not nit pick like some. Nice motor!
coozer

posted on 3/4/14 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
I added a second set of front flasher to slow mine down. First set in the traditional place and another set right under the headlights.

As can been seen here... obviusoly post SVA but not sire how it would fair now but ti does hide the headlight mount as well

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

pekwah1

posted on 3/4/14 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
i believe you are only allowed 1 pair of front indicators for IVA.....
The Black Flash

posted on 3/4/14 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
i believe you are only allowed 1 pair of front indicators for IVA.....

True dat.
As Snapper says, I'd just stick an electronic flasher relay in, saves all that worry about resistances and what have you. 15 quid, plugs straight in, job jobbed.

Overall, doesn't seem too bad. FYI They used 90Kg per seat for my gross weight calculation, so that matches a 75Kg person with 15Kg luggage.

whitestu

posted on 4/4/14 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
It's a bodge and needs to be undone straight after IVA but the MK solution of fitting a pair of Pinto valve springs in the rack serves to both give some self centering from full lock and act as lock stops to prevent brake lines fouling.

Depends what rack though - it worked on my Sierra rack.

Stu

ali f27

posted on 4/4/14 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Hi if you understand this then take no notice have you seen big merc on full lock and how the wheel is cocked on one side its the weight on the edge of the tyre the makes it want to return to centre so mess about with caster and presure combinations we have had 5 cars inspected by Andrew and found him absolutely striaght and gives good advice and knowlage your front end might look crap by the time you get it to self centre but will still pass
Cheers Ali

Paul AS

posted on 4/4/14 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Toe out a bit and 30+ psi

Sorry to disagree. Toe out yes! 30psi no! drop the pressure to as low as you dare. I went with 8psi and passed easily! With normal 16-17 psi on the road, I get very little self centring. Jeremy Philips at Sylva always does the same, based on information given to him by Bentley engineers

Get a sequencing flasher as used with led lights that'll sort it

Yep - this ones a definite winner - had to do the same on mine with a reduced load with LED fronts and repeaters.

MsD

posted on 4/4/14 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ill not quote everyone in this post but thanks for all the suggestions/ compliments/ advice

The steering column bearing is something I wanted to do anyway so I might aswell do it whilst im in the process. To quote a famous supermarket-Every little helps! I'm going to partially strip the front end down and see what castor angle im getting- Ill probably change the top wishbone bushes to rosejoints and then I can space the top wishbone backwards to get a better angle. The tyre pressure was set at 35psi with 2degrees of toe out! So I've got problems elsewhere...!

I have seen a few posts about fitting valve springs in the steering column but the car isn't fun to drive with the current steering set up- so something is wrong somewhere!

Is a sequencing flasher something that is fitted inline (presume I only need one for the indicator circuit?). Ive not had time for any research yet! also any idea where I can get one?

Another option was to add a 2nd set of indicators but leave them taped up inside the engine bay. However is there something like a variable resistor that can be fitted inline that would work?

Thanks again guys. Mark

coozer

posted on 4/4/14 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add a bit clarity, my second set, ones under the headlight, did start life inside the nose cone.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

avagolen

posted on 4/4/14 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Indicator flash rate.

The 'Sequence flasher' people are talking about is just a replacement flasher for the one you already have.

Go onto the bay of E and find a flasher designed for LEDs. It always flashes at the same rate regardless of bulb loads.

The down side is that it does not change speed when a bulb fails, but you will be checking them regularly wont you!!!

If your flasher is three pinned, get a three pinned LED flasher, If 2 pinned - a 2 pin LED flasher.

HTH

Len.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

coozer

posted on 4/4/14 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got side repeaters fitted? Cant see any in the pic..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

MsD

posted on 4/4/14 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by avagolen
Indicator flash rate.

The 'Sequence flasher' people are talking about is just a replacement flasher for the one you already have.

Go onto the bay of E and find a flasher designed for LEDs. It always flashes at the same rate regardless of bulb loads.

The down side is that it does not change speed when a bulb fails, but you will be checking them regularly wont you!!!

If your flasher is three pinned, get a three pinned LED flasher, If 2 pinned - a 2 pin LED flasher.

HTH

Len.

excellent, thanks for this Len. Ill have to have a look!

Coozer, yeah- on the front wings. They are the little led ones which is probably the cause of the problem!

mark.

MsD

posted on 12/5/14 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Update time. Mainly for people who have similar problems later on, and want any ideas on fixes!

Firstly the indicators; Previously they flashed to fast. The reason for this was due to LED side repeaters taking less draw from the circuit. I rectified this by going into my local auto electrics shop and buying a relay designed for an older car that is pre side repeaters (less wattage). This worked a treat and I'm now bang in the middle of the IVA requirements.

Secondly (the main problem) was the lack of self centering. I have had to fabricate new wishbones that move the top drag link further back to give roughly 10degrees castor. After a quick car park test I am satisfied that I have a degree of self centering (whatever that actually means!).

So I'm about to send of an email to re-schedule my test for later on next week... and then I can try and tackle the dreaded DVLA!!!

Mark.

avagolen

posted on 12/5/14 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Best of luck. Keep us posted.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

MsD

posted on 20/5/14 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
My IVA retest is tomorrow at 1pm. But due to the lack of a trailer I am driving it the 200mile round trip!!! So wish me luck

I applied for my DVLA forms the other day so hopefully in the next 2years I might be road legal!

Mark.

CosKev3

posted on 20/5/14 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck

And fingers crossed for you these heavy down pours are not kicking about!!!!

MsD

posted on 20/5/14 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Good luck

And fingers crossed for you these heavy down pours are not kicking about!!!!

Haha! Cheers. Ive never checked the forcast as much, however 22degrees is promised so i might be lucky! I just need to get the car back together for tomorrow now!!

Mark.

The Black Flash

posted on 21/5/14 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
How'd it go?
MsD

posted on 21/5/14 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Passed! Exactly how I was expecting it to go tbh; it only took 10mins to re-test. Again thanks to Andrew at Carlisle- cant recommend him enough.

The added stress of driving to the test nearly finished me off this morning and then I missed the turning of the m6 and ended up on the Scotland border at Gretna! Took the long way home (3hours!) but what a day to spend blatting around in the sun . Even stopped off at devils bridge on route.
I have never been pointed and looked at by so many people in one day- they certainly do grab attention and put a smile on peoples faces. I even got my first stop and chat at a petrol station by an old timer who must have been in his early 80's who was out for a ride on his rather nice looking motorbike!

Massive thanks to everyone on here that has helped me. Its a standard phrase that most people say when passing but I couldn't have achieved it without you!

Now just the DVLA to contend with and if im lucky ill get on the road sometime in June!

Thanks

Mark.

(photobucket isn't working for me at the moment so no pics I'm afraid!)

ali f27

posted on 21/5/14 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
well done andrew is spot on susan wasnt all that keen on being seen in mine untill we had our first ride out and she saw how many people in super cars want to know about your kit enjoy and hope to meet 1 day
The Black Flash

posted on 21/5/14 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent
Just noticed you're in preston - I'm only just up the road. Any reason you went to carlisle rather than manchester?
Mind you since I've got to wait until mid-june for my retest I might have answered my own question!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.