Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust wrap?
AndyW

posted on 6/7/14 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Exhaust wrap?

Hi all,

In order to reduce under bonnet temps is it worth wrapping the exhaust manifold. I have heard on another forum very heated arguments as to the benefits or not.

Thoughts please

Thanks

Andy

rusty nuts

posted on 6/7/14 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
I wrapped mine due to running problems when stuck in traffic on a hot day even with vents in the bonnet and nose, suspect the fuel was vaporising . I have no problems now and due to the low annual mileage I think it was worth doing.If I have problems in the future I suspect I will still wrap the exhaust
twybrow

posted on 6/7/14 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
The reason I suspect for the mixed reports you have heard, is that some people say that it traps moisture next to the exhaust, and in time, this can lead to rust. Well on my fully stainless system, that has never been an issue. The wrap does deteriorate over time, so by the time it fell off (2 1/2 years after putting it on) there was no ill effect to the zorst. It certainly lowered my under bonnet temperatures, so if you are having issues with this, then I would say it is worth doing. Just take your time to make sure you do a good job, as a loose wrap will do nothing but create hot spots and then fall off....
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 6/7/14 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
It is essential on my Riot, mid engine, manifold behind the firewall.
If I do not wrap the exhaust, the engine bay temperatures reach dangerous levels.

whitestu

posted on 6/7/14 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I thought the issues were that any unwrapped areas get much hotter and so can lead to fractures if you miss a bit.

Could be wrong though.

Mine isn't wrapped and I've never had any problems with temp.

Stu

matt5964

posted on 6/7/14 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
with the welds on an exhaust being the weakest point and also the part getting the hottest, some think that wrapping will over heat them and shorten the life of your headers, horses for courses really depends what you need them to be wrapped for if your bay is getting far too hot then wrap them as the consequences may out way having to get a set of headers replace.

We were going to before we got the Simpson exhaust made as our bay got really hot but after the primary's and secondary's were made from larger tubing and all the same length we get no hot spots and the gasses flow much more efficient. so now even with 50+Bhp more than we used to have the bay temp is lower and I feel we don't now need to look at wrapping to reduce it.

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

posted on 6/7/14 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
not so locost, but getting the manifold ceramic coated is supposed to be better.
johnwilders

posted on 6/7/14 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I wrapped mine back to the can and it does help with under bonnet temp, it also helps stop you branding yourself for life if you touch it with any uncovered flesh the only downside is it tends to move the heat further along the exhaust and now the can gets incredibly hot.
coyoteboy

posted on 6/7/14 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Well worth doing IMO. The only time it will trap moisture is if the car sits fr extended periods outside. Unwrapped bits don't get hotter, the wrapped bits are hotter. Depending on your material you could embrittled sections but personally found that since my exhaust gets full-on cherry red anyway until the bottom of the downpipe, its already way up in the danger region lol. Never failed me, wrapped the full length of my gt4 from manifold (can't wrap it as its a cast log) all the way back to back box.

Reduces gas density, certainly changes engine note a bit when really hot. Stopped me baking my alternator, rad and sump.

haz87

posted on 7/7/14 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Run it for years and years and never had any issue. Mild steel I'd be a bit more wary of for trapping moisture, but stainless its not shown to be an issue for me (*touches wood*).
Yes the wrap does break down but buy quality rather than £10 for 1000ft ebay bargains and it lasts while

neilp1

posted on 9/7/14 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the best wrap to buy and where from. Locost of course
edthedrummer

posted on 10/7/14 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
If your not aware, a little tip when wrapping,

Keep the roll in a bucket of water below the pipes your wrapping, it softens the wrap making it more flexible, and generally makes life so much easier. Also keeps the dust down which is a massive bonus on some wraps. Being soaking wet too, each time you overlap it tends to cling to the other part as well meaning it doesn't unwind itself so easily half way through!

matt5964

posted on 10/7/14 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neilp1
Whats the best wrap to buy and where from. Locost of course

DEI Titanium is better than most, failing that any titanium wrap

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.