Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zircotec
bart

posted on 8/1/15 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
zircotec

high anyone used zircotec on headers , if so how much did it cost.
ps: I will be sitting down !!!!

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

Rich J

posted on 8/1/15 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't used them but they quoted me £600 to do this manifold which is what Simpson quoted to make a stainless one.

[Edited on 8/1/15 by Rich J]

bart

posted on 8/1/15 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I feel faint

I have a stainless steel header its to reduce the engine bay temperature , and a lot of sites say don't use exhaust wrap .

ps : its a Hayabusa system only want the 4 into 2 bit done ( first stage ) the rest is in fresh air so wont matter

CosKev3

posted on 8/1/15 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.camcoat.com/main/

Right on your doorstep

Rich J

posted on 8/1/15 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
OOH! Just popped them an email
Thanks for that

bart

posted on 8/1/15 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
forgive me if im wrong not the same stuff
camcoat is a resin based system and zircotec is ceramic plama based . the temp differences are immense.

i'm thinking it may be cheaper to send to the states , there's quite a few that do ceramic plasma spry over there.

jeffw

posted on 8/1/15 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
From memory it was something like £500 to coat my manifold including the collector.

gaz_gaz

posted on 8/1/15 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
cost me 400 to do a RX7 manifold, turbo compressor housing and downpipe.
engine bay temps where reduced massively and although not recommended you could pretty much touch the downpipe minutes after a spirited drive

CosKev3

posted on 9/1/15 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bart
forgive me if im wrong not the same stuff
camcoat is a resin based system and zircotec is ceramic plama based . the temp differences are immense.

i'm thinking it may be cheaper to send to the states , there's quite a few that do ceramic plasma spry over there.

Didn't realise they were different processes,camcoat is still a ceramic based covering though.

What temp differences do you class as 'immense'?and a link to some tests would be good

Do you really think you would notice a difference on your car,comparing cost to temperatures?

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 9/1/15 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Bart - problems with exhaust wrap?

I've bandaged the headers on my R1 to good effect, does really kill the temperatures (and noise to some extent). The transverse R1 lives behind a firewall (RioT) so things would get pretty hot otherwise. The system hasn't cracked, but then it hasn't been used to extremes (yet..).

bart

posted on 9/1/15 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
in answer to the question " what's the difference ,

I have spoke to both company's ,

the resin based spray on systems reduce temperature about 100deg c so start at say 1300 deg = 1200 deg c

the plasma ceramic "arm and a leg" coatings say 33 % so start at the same 1300 deg c then its = 871 deg c

add an 85% heat shield and i'm down to below 130deg c and that's without the air gap ect

I stand to be corrected but that is what they said on the phone

I stated 1300 deg c as that's typical of a "racy" engine possibly a little more.

what ever I decide I have several temperature probes I can use , and it looks like I will have to see what I get.

I also have an infra red scientific camera so that's a double bonus

would still welcome any further thoughts ect.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 9/1/15 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Why not just use exhaust wrap? Its seemed to do a decent job for decades now?

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
steve m

posted on 9/1/15 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
Why not just use exhaust wrap? Its seemed to do a decent job for decades now?

If the exhaust is stainless or any better material, that's fine, but if mild steel like most of us, it will induce rust and the exhaust WILL break up inside the wrap,

the other downside is, it will transfer the heat further down the exhaust system, and in my case, totally bugger up the muffler, and screw the chrome so badly that a re chrome is not possible (no one will do it )

apart from that wrapping is fine

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

CosKev3

posted on 9/1/15 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Camcoat can't have quoted 100 degree loss on 1300 degress, as none of there coatings are listed as covering that high of a temp!
Didn't they quote a % figure?

bart

posted on 9/1/15 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
that's a good point she actually said 100 deg , have to admit id did not ask about the top temp.

bi22le

posted on 13/1/15 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have randomly found an article in a race car mag regarding Zircotec. If you want it I can send it via email. U2U me if you want it, I cant get PDF uploaded on here.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

DIY Si

posted on 14/1/15 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
One thing that's always baffled me with regards wrapping vs coating. If the wrapping keeps heat in the system and moves it downstream, how is coating a manifold any different? A certain amount of heat is generated by the engine, so it has to go somewhere and surely the coatings can only keep it in the system just the same as wrappings will?

Oh, another thing's just come to mind. How does the wrap promote rust on a mild steel manifold? As it's an exhaust manifold, why is it not far too hot to keep any moisture in the wrap? I guess there's something I'm not seeing.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.