Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: short term insurance for any car
Slimy38

posted on 13/2/15 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
short term insurance for any car

I'm currently looking at cars for my wife, and because I have a company car I don't have third party cover for other cars. Does anyone know if the short term insurance (1-28 days) can be done for any car or does it have to be done for a specific car? I've just got a quote from the RAC and while the price was ok, it was against a specific reg number which will be useless if I'm test driving cars.

I should mention this is specifically for private sales, I'm aware that dealers tend to have their own cover.

SteveWalker

posted on 13/2/15 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Is it worth trying to speak to the company car insurers?
gremlin1234

posted on 13/2/15 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
may be worth looking to see if the car you are building could be insured, and that policy give the required cover for driving other vehicles.
Simon

posted on 14/2/15 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
You will get Third Party Only cover irrespective assuming you take out a Comp Policy on a named car. For insurance you need a material interest (ie financial) and having a moral interest or "doing the right thing" if you stack a test driven car doesn't count.

Just found this to back up what I said

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg_testdrivetips.html

ATB

Simon

Simon

posted on 14/2/15 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Saying that, found this a bit further down

http://www.insuredaily.co.uk/test-drive-insurance

ATB

Simon

Slimy38

posted on 14/2/15 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
You will get Third Party Only cover irrespective assuming you take out a Comp Policy on a named car. For insurance you need a material interest (ie financial) and having a moral interest or "doing the right thing" if you stack a test driven car doesn't count.

Just found this to back up what I said

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg_testdrivetips.html

ATB

Simon

I'm not sure what you mean here? I don't have a fully comp policy myself, I don't actually own a car to have a policy on! (The car being built is nowhere near the stage of being called a car). And I need at the very least some form of third party cover to drive any car on a public road.

As the article mentioned, dealers tend to have some form of cover, but I'd be very surprised if private sellers would extend their own policy to cover test drives (to be fair I didn't even know you could do that!).

However, I am a named driver on my wife's fully comp policy. I wonder whether her DOC option covers me as well? I guess it's time to scour the policy details...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.