Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheel spacers
alex1991

posted on 9/6/15 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Wheel spacers

My rear wheels don't clear the callipers so I'm looking to space the rear wheels out a little (16 to 20mm)

Read a few threads and some say hubcentric spacers with extended studs are better and then others say hubcentric bolt on spacers are better.

Also if I go for extended studs is it easy to remove the old studs? I presume I can just knock them out?

Thanks

mcerd1

posted on 9/6/15 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hub centric is always the answer unless your only spacing it by a couple of mm.

Longer studs is the better option - then you've got one continuous bolt/stud clamping the wheels to the hubs, with no intermediate bolts to slacken off and much less reliance on the strength of the spacers

quote:
Originally posted by alex1991
Also if I go for extended studs is it easy to remove the old studs? I presume I can just knock them out?

generally yes, but what hubs have you got ?

-

alex1991

posted on 9/6/15 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not entirely sure what I have at the rear. Its ford and likely Sierra based, 7 inch diff with push in drive shafts but with callipers.
Just been to have a look and it looks quite easy to access the rear studs once the disc is off.

I think I will go for extended studs and hubcentric spacers. The bolt on spacers can get quiet expensive for a decent brand wheras decent normal spacers are much cheaper.

Paul AS

posted on 9/6/15 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've been using hubcentric spacers with longer studs for a couple of years now. Easy conversion and rock solid handling.

Ive got two pairs of hub buddies spacers that I no longer use due to a change of wheels recently.

Both ford 4x108 with 63.4mm centres. One pair is 16mm, the other 20mm.

£15 per pair posted if they are any use to you.

Paul

loggyboy

posted on 10/6/15 at 03:46 AM Reply With Quote
As above, if only a few mm ~5mm, then any slip on spacer isvok. Between about 10 and 15mm hubcentric with extended studs are ok, but anything more than 15mm I would want to use bolt ons.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.