Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sylva J15 + Honda - opinions please
russtik

posted on 20/10/15 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Sylva J15 + Honda - opinions please

I love the B18C6 engine in my Honda Integra Type R but had previously discounted having one in a kit car due to the engine turning the wrong way. Then recently I thought that the J15 could be a suitable base with it being mid mounted, can anyone think of any glaring issues or reasons why you wouldn't pursue this route? Have any J15s been built using a Honda car engine to date?

As a side note; what's the J15 like to live with? In fairly standard trim what's the track handling capabilities like v's road ride quality?

Any insights appreciated. Cheers, Russ.

SouthernKitCars.com

'Like' SKCC on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Southernkitcars

SJ

posted on 21/10/15 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
As long as you use it attached to the Honda gearbox how can it matter which way it spins?
russtik

posted on 21/10/15 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
As long as you use it attached to the Honda gearbox how can it matter which way it spins?

Yeah I've managed to work that much out for myself

I'm more interested in people's experiences with offering up or at least thinking about a non-standard (i.e. not Sigma) engine into the J15 chassis plus any practical considerations with regard to the B18C6 I may not have thought about at this point... as well as how "good" the J15 is in the grand scheme of things.

SouthernKitCars.com

monkeyarms

posted on 21/10/15 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
HI
It doesnt matter which way the engine turns, its the wheels that matter There is some one already with a honda in Riot/J15 i cant remember who now.

My J15 is pretty standard in terms of the spec from Jeremy. I tracked mine with a 1.4 fiesta engine and road tyres and it was great fun. Not the fastest by a long way but so much fun. Road manners are excellent, actually comfortable. The standard shocks and springs are adjustable so you can tune the car to your liking. I found tyre pressures make a big difference for small changes.

I now have a 1.7 puma engine, and it is plenty fast enough for the roads, many kit car owners have said 120hp & 500kg is a sweet spot for power/performance. Mine is 123hp and 520kg and I agree with that formula

TBH I found the different gearboxes made a big difference between the 1.4 and 1.7. The 1.7 have a close ratio type box. The 1.4 had more like 4+overdrive, made track driving tricky around the 4th gear change up point.

Having an enclosed body style the car offers a little more comfort and some cabin strorage!

I would ring Jeremy at Sylva and talk to him about the engine choice, I am sure he has done it before so will offer the best advice.

Good luck

SJ

posted on 21/10/15 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Hope you get it to work. The J15 is a great looking car.
Paul AS

posted on 21/10/15 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
There is a track only Honda engined J15. I believe it belonged to a chap called Paul Collingwood (not the cricketer!)

No idea what the current state of play with the car is.

The Sigma engine fits well with a bit of wriggle room around it. A 2.0 duratec has also been fitted, but that and the Honda are a lot taller and stick out through the rear bodywork, so mods do have to be made.

They are fantastic on track once set up properly, but equally happy pootling about on b roads - it really depends how you set them up, what wheels and tyres you choose, what springs and shocks etc etc.

You're welcome to come and have a look at mine if you're anywhere near Huddersfield.

Its probably gonna be up for sale next spring, so if you're looking for a conversion rather that a full build......

russtik

posted on 21/10/15 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul AS
Its probably gonna be up for sale next spring, so if you're looking for a conversion rather that a full build......

Conversion is what I would be looking to do, can't be doing with the IVA process! I'd want something on the road ideally so I can use it, get a feel for mods etc. while I acquire bits and bobs for an engine tranplant. So yeah I would be interested to hear from you if you're thinking of selling.

SouthernKitCars.com

Andy D

posted on 21/10/15 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
I know of a B16a in the back of a Mojo. As far as I know it was fairly straightforward.. hybrid driveshafts maybe? Honda to Fiesta?
nickm

posted on 21/10/15 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
Yes it was the J15 racing in the 750mc sports specials, i think eddie 99 ? on here was trying to sell the rolling chassis. If the chassis is about there may be some clues to how the engine and gearbox were fitted ?

If the chassis is still for sale fit the engine and away you go.

Nick M

russtik

posted on 21/10/15 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
A bit of a Google turfed this up, I assume this is the car you're talking about? I'd be interested to find out how this is put together. I also searched for the user Eddie99 but didn't find an evidence of chat about this car. Buying a rolling chassis already setup to take a B18 would be quite a headstart

Paul Collingwood - Sylva J15 by Laura Manning and Steve Cross, on Flickr

SouthernKitCars.com

Kdempsie

posted on 21/10/15 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
My Honda engine number knowledge is a bit rusty but is the B18 engine the one from the DC2 Integra type R, the one that is mounted on the opposite side to the driver? I had an Integra with one of these engines and it would be great in a J15 and was a serious consideration for me when I decided on my build spec. The power and delivery coupled with the weight balance with the driver are strong plus points, in the end I decided to go with a Duratec because I didn't want to modify the body work and the Duratec 'just' fits with a few mods.

I think Paul's car has or had a K20 engine if I remember correctly but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I'm sure the B18 would be a great choice even if it takes a bit of effort to fit.

Keith.

Jenko

posted on 22/10/15 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
My only concern with the older Honda engine is weight.....I'm not sure if it's an ally block. The duratec and the sigma are, and if built with a little consideration for weight distribution, you end up with a 60 / 40 rear / front. Which is the same as an Elise.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

ElmrPhD

posted on 22/10/15 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Looks to me like nobody has yet clarified that the K20A family of Honda motors spins the opposite (conventional) direction to the older B series Hondas'. Would that not solve the concern of the original post?

If anybody knows how to adapt a K20A to a Sierra box, I'd love to hear about it. I know that my dear friend, Patrick, achieved this in Belgium, but that source is no longer valid. KMiata.com do a K20A-to-MX5-box adapter, which is my current best option, but my diff's ratio is better matched to a Sierra box than to an MX5 box...

Trying to re-start my dead MNR Vortx project...

Steve, in the NLs

theduck

posted on 22/10/15 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
B18 is a very different experience to the K20 though and as the op says he loves the B18 I imagine he wouldnt want to use K20.
ElmrPhD

posted on 22/10/15 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Um, yeah, except that, in his words, it spins the wrong way...
And while it is a different experience, the K20A is a superiour engine.

russtik

posted on 22/10/15 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Just to clear some things up:

The anti-clockwise rotation of the B18 was a concern/blocker when thinking about using it for a tradition 7 i.e. front-engined, longitudinal orientation. Gearbox and diff considerations are a headache. However, in a mid-engined car (such as the J15) these concerns are alleviated so we don't need to talk about this particular aspect anymore - I was just giving you some background to my thinking.

I love the B18 as it has bags of character and potential for good power. I'm not interested in the K20 for this (potential) build. While we're on the subject of the K20, why would you choose it for a front-engine RWD package when there's the F20C - 250BHP on tap and a gearbox to match? We digress...

Interesting points about the weight balance in a J15, I'm not sure what a B18 + S80 box weigh, I'll need to do some research...

SouthernKitCars.com

theduck

posted on 22/10/15 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElmrPhD
Um, yeah, except that, in his words, it spins the wrong way...
And while it is a different experience, the K20A is a superiour engine.

Plenty of people would disagree with you on that.

peter030371

posted on 22/10/15 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Have you seen this? SYLVA J15 KITCAR
russtik

posted on 23/10/15 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371

No I hadn't...

That is interesting and somewhat frustrating at the same time. Frustrating because I'm not in a position to do anything about that at this point in time. Having said that it's not ideal in that it's not road registered and has 'bumps and bruises' from racing. Still, would have been nice to investigate with some seriousness.

SouthernKitCars.com

nickm

posted on 23/10/15 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Russ
I put J15 rolling chassis into this search function and the post i was on about came up it was from eddie99 elite motorsport and he mentions having a customers car minus engine and g/box probably coming up for sale ? 2 Oct 14.
That is the car and the fella that use to own it was on about changing it for something else when i spoke to him at Cadwell Sept/Oct 14. I think eddie was his next door neighbour in the pit area. He also used to have a 190hp Riot with a sigma !

Happy hunting

Nick M

nickm

posted on 23/10/15 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Reminder to self

Always read all the posts !

Nick M

Paul AS

posted on 6/11/15 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Ah well - I took the plunge and put the J15 on eBay after all - Honda engine winter project anyone??

Sylva J15 kit car

Jenko

posted on 6/11/15 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul AS
Ah well - I took the plunge and put the J15 on eBay after all - Honda engine winter project anyone??

Sylva J15 kit car

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

daniel mason

posted on 6/11/15 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Nice looking car and build!
I'd love to see a vid of you in it at motorway speeds with a cap on though

MsD

posted on 6/11/15 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russtik
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371

No I hadn't...

That is interesting and somewhat frustrating at the same time. Frustrating because I'm not in a position to do anything about that at this point in time. Having said that it's not ideal in that it's not road registered and has 'bumps and bruises' from racing. Still, would have been nice to investigate with some seriousness.

I bought this last weekend. Expect a build diary of some description to appear soon! Hoping to have it out on track April time (famous last words!)

Mark.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.