Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thinking of building a Striker
nick205

posted on 9/2/16 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking of building a Striker

Afternoon all,

As mentioned before a head injury in 2014 has left me with epilepsy and being unable to drive currently until Jan 2017. I've sold my Passat tin top and have my beloved 205 GTI for sale as well. The prospect or uncertainty of being able to drive again is a worry, but I'm thinking of building a Striker whilst I'm on the bus and train. It will keep me busy and hopefully be something to drive when I get back on the road.

Last time I built an MK Indy, which I enjoyed doing a lot. With a growing family (3 kids now) that got sold as it only had two seats and no roof. However now might be the time to build again and a Striker seems a good option in terms of cost and end result.

So my questions are...

What's it like to build?

What engine do people opt for?

What do people estimate the cost to be?

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 9/2/16 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
I built a bike engined striker in 2003 and have owned 2 more since love them my present one had a crossflow in it when bought it and since have changed the engine to a Toyota 16v 4age still love it . Just don't seem to use it enough at the moment
loggyboy

posted on 9/2/16 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Make me an offer on mine? I've been contemplating selling up for last year.
Can let u know the spec and all the bits I have if you were interested.

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 9/2/16 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you - U2U to you Loggy

nick205

posted on 9/2/16 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ian locostzx9rc2
Just don't seem to use it enough at the moment

I know that feeling - that's why I sold my Indy in the end as family life took over and stopped me using it.

When the buyer came and collected it my oldest son 4 at the time cried when he drove away (I was happy to have the cash and move on).

ETA...the buyer sold it when he moved to Canada and I did see an advert with it for sale in Holland a while back. Not sure I'd want it back now though, too much I'd want to do differently I guess.

[Edited on 9/2/16 by nick205]

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 9/2/16 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I did three track days last year and about 400 miles on the road total 1000 miles must try harder ,my zx9r striker cost me £7500 to build inc sva ipicked it up dec 2002 and it was sva October 2003 was the 3rd chassis produced when raw took over the striker project in 2004 my car was on the raw stand at stoneliegh show I keep it for 3 years then I started my on business so I needed the money I did get the chance to buy it back about 5 years ago but decided not to then I bought my current one 4 years ago I had a another one about 7 years ago bought it to sell on after i did a bit of work on it they are great cars .
nick205

posted on 9/2/16 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good!

Hoping to take a look at Loggy's car next week as that could be a real head start on building for me.

StrikerChris

posted on 9/2/16 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Mine cost in total Just over 7k on the road Back in 2009,was below that but failed the sva a couple of times which sent it over.
It was a easy build but I complicated it by using a Nissan 200sx as a donor,which probably also made it abit more expensive than a standard off the shelf package using the parts that are readily available. But then it was probably a cheap way of building a reliable 250-300bhp car,with not having to spend a fortune tuning up other motors, ecu's rolling road time etc.

Chris

[Edited on 9/2/16 by StrikerChris]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 9/2/16 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris - useful info!

I'd stick Sierra myself to keep things easy/simple.

peter030371

posted on 9/2/16 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Starting from scratch I guess £7k plus is a starting budget very much depending on what spec you want and how much you want to make/ build yourself. Mine is approaching twice that but on my second Striker I am adding lots of nice toys to a Duratec based car so it was never going to be cheap.....but that was my choice

The Striker is a great kit, had my first one for 18 1/2 years and loving my new build even after 2 years of building

nick205

posted on 10/2/16 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Peter - always helps to see what others have spent.

I never totaled the cost of my MK Indy project back in the day, I suspect I'd have been a bit shocked if I had!

FatChapChipChop

posted on 10/2/16 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've done 2 Strikers now .. First an IRS aeroscreened car with 1.8 Zetec, bought an unstarted kit from a local guy. Second was an old 1988 live axled car in need of a total rebuild (I added a full roll cage, back-to-metal chassis rebuild) .. Suffice to say I enjoyed both kits and they are great to work on / build because of their no-nonsense simplicity. They are really good for the track and can be "comfortable" for the road, but they are "compact" compared to a lot of Se7en type cars.

The IRS is great on the road compared to the hoppy-skippy live axle I'm running now, but they both deliver well in the handling department.

Mine too will be up for sale soon if you want another car to peek at ..

Cheers !!

Drive fast, don't look back!

gaz_gaz

posted on 10/2/16 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Having just put together what's essentially a Striker I'd echo all the above comments..

Very easy to work on and went together with minimal fuss, The cockpit is very small, So for once in my life I was glad to be in proportion to a Striker,
I'm wasn't massive fan of the strikers looks so went for a full body on mine instead. The Striker body has now grown on me though.
Martin at RAW has been very helpful answering questions even though I didn't buy from him and up to now haven't bought anything from him.
I don't think you'll go far wrong with a Striker..

daniel mason

posted on 10/2/16 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
This is a nice looker
http://www.uphillracers.com/showthread.php/raw-striker-sale-12364.html

lsdweb

posted on 11/2/16 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I also have a part rebuilt (registered) Striker for sale. Drop me a u2u if you want more info.

Thanks

Wyn

BDMStriker

posted on 19/2/16 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
does it have to be a fresh build?

What about a pre-registered car that requires a full restoration?

I bought a 1997 built car that had been sat sorry for itself with a blown head for 10 years in 2013 for 3k with a full car & 2 engines..

dhla45 carbs, quaife LSD diff, etc etc

cost me another 3.5k totalling 6.5k for the total build, which was a practical nut and bolt rebuild, engine overhaul etc

as it was my first kit i was put off a fresh build for registration purposes & newer emission laws etc,

just think sometimes with a resto you can have a 10-12k car for 5-7k & your own labour..

striker1660

posted on 24/3/16 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
part built registered striker

hi lsdweb, can you send details you have. u2u not working hence the post.
lsdweb

posted on 24/3/16 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi striker1660

Most of the details are here - http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=202747

I can send you more / photos if you're interested.

Thanks

Wyn

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.