Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Measuring bump steer
luke2152

posted on 18/12/16 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Measuring bump steer

Does anyone have any practical ideas for measuring/reducing bump steer in a diy manner. I'm thinking in terms of jacking the car up, removing my front springs/dampers and measuring toe in at standard ride height, then lowering it on the jack and measuring again. Using straight edges or string to project a line forward along each front wheel etc. And then moving the steering rack about to try and eliminate it. Not done anything like that before so I'm not sure if there is a simpler/better way.
gremlin1234

posted on 18/12/16 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
project binky covered this is quite a lot of detail recently

edit to add:
it was episode 11, a year ago
http://www.badobsessionmotorsport.co.uk/project-binky-episode-11/
quote:
In episode 11 of Project Binky, we grapple with bumpsteer and Ackermann angles, we wrestle with the gear-shift mechanism, sort out the passenger seat and fit the handbrake. And we drink tea of course.

edit 2:
se also part 10
http://www.badobsessionmotorsport.co.uk/project-binky-episode-10
quote:

In episode 10 of Project Binky, we mainly concentrate on getting the controls sorted. There’s pedal box and steering action along with a fight with some major bump steer.

[Edited on 18/12/16 by gremlin1234]

SJ

posted on 18/12/16 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
I did mine DIY and it was quite easy. As you probably know what you are trying to achieve is a setting where the wheels don't 'steer' left or right when the suspension goes up and down.

I parked the car about 2 feet from a wall, jacked up and put the chassis on blocks at roughly normal ride height and removed the spring & damper. I then fixed a cheap laser pointer onto the brake disk and drew a vertical line on the wall. By lifting the suspension I could see how much the laser pointer deviated from the line.

It was then a matter of putting washers under the rack mounts until I minimised the deviation from the vertical line as much as poss on both sides, be repeating one each side until I was happy.

It took a bit of time but was worth the effort as it transformed the car.

You could do it quicker with 2 laser pointers and some board fixed vertically each side of the car.

Stu

mark chandler

posted on 18/12/16 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Remove shock and wheel, lock the steering wheel straight ahead, tie a lazer to the disc and point at a board then lift and drop the axle through full movement and watch the lazer dot move left to right, use trig to work out how bad.
froggy

posted on 19/12/16 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
A little more work and you could have an easier to read set up .
My supertracker has flags which sit on the centre line of the rear wheels with marks every 10mm

Front gauge marks are every 5mm with the laser 400mm from the centre line of the front wheel .

Two lasers pointing at each other at the front and the other two facing backwards you can set the toe equally as the rear flags will read the same when each side is equal and no need to work anything out with some marks on the front to show toe change

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.