Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Who else did it then on the first drive!?
Daf

posted on 2/11/17 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Who else did it then on the first drive!?

I went for my first drive a couple of weeks ago and thought I must take it really steady just a very gentle one or two mile journey and come back and see what's fallen off.....

So I got 100 yards from the house turned onto the open road and buried the throttle to the floor and didn't turn around for at least 15 miles!!

steve m

posted on 2/11/17 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I cant say I did on my first drive of my locost, as I HATED the experience !!!
It was too low, to noisy , skated across the road, ( I had 32 psi in the tyres!)
also I had no MOT, nor tax or insurance, it was orrible

but the first day I had my first motorbike, aged 17, and two days, got a GT 250 Suzuki, I did 250 miles,plus and went missing for 14 hours, my mother was so upset, and was crying when I got home, thought she had lost her only son on that day

im 57 now, and she still gets worried when I go out, not that I tell her,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

pekwah1

posted on 2/11/17 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I had my first legal drive last night and nailed it every second, then decided I should drive it to work today (an hour each way), and hen decided once I got home that I should go out for another drive! I bloody love my car!!!

[Edited on 2/11/17 by pekwah1]

Shooter63

posted on 2/11/17 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
My 1st kit drive was 326 miles back from Cornwall in a car with the suspension set wrong, was ridiculously skittish over 75mph, and kin cold, a good laugh though.

Shooter

bi22le

posted on 2/11/17 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shooter63
My 1st kit drive was 326 miles back from Cornwall in a car with the suspension set wrong, was ridiculously skittish over 75mph, and kin cold, a good laugh though.

Shooter

1st drive with my second kit car was about 135 miles across the country to bring it home. About 2 weeks after that was my 1st track day, a month after that was my 1st trip to the ring!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

overdriver

posted on 2/11/17 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
My first experience a bit like Steve's really. Bought the Tiger in Manchester and drove it 120 odd miles down the M6 & M5 back to Worcester - it was awful! Noisy, wouldn't idle (it was the M6 so huge amounts of time stationary of course), backfiring, overheating, sidescreens flapping open (took them off & threw them in passenger footwell), jumping all over the road (previous owner had 25 psi pressure all round, front shocks turned up to 11 and had fitted rear shocks from an Alfa 156 - may as well have used pit props!) and the non-adjustable seat was too far back to enable full depression of the clutch so gear selection was 'uncertain'.

It all got sorted of course. It's still not exactly quiet or that comfortable but each outing produces a sense of excitement and an uncontained desire to just let it have its head, double declutch for the hell of it and listen to the popping and banging on the over run (being a Pinto I can also see the flame shoot out of the silencer!). Man and machine in harmony, nothing else like it.

Michael.

WallerZero

posted on 3/11/17 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
My first drive was in the damp to the IVA centre. Nearly put myself sideways into an oncoming van as I pulled out a junction! 2nd time to the IVA it was a blizzard! Needless to say, both times I needed spare underwear!

Since then I've always given the throttle a good test straight away, just to make sure its all working properly and what the traction is like......that test usually lasts for most the journey

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

TimC

posted on 3/11/17 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
When I bought my Striker in ‘09, I drove it straight to Llandow for a trackday.

I then checked it over on the Sunday and found one-or-three loose nuts.

In hindsight not-clever but great fun.

[Edited on 3/11/17 by TimC]

David Jenkins

posted on 3/11/17 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WallerZero
My first drive was in the damp to the IVA centre. Nearly put myself sideways into an oncoming van as I pulled out a junction! 2nd time to the IVA it was a blizzard! Needless to say, both times I needed spare underwear!

Since then I've always given the throttle a good test straight away, just to make sure its all working properly and what the traction is like......that test usually lasts for most the journey

Same as me - 6:30 in the morning in the middle of October, in the dark, freezing cold, in heavy traffic on the A12... and suffered a breakdown shortly before arrival.

I used a trailer for the second attempt!

Irony

posted on 3/11/17 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
First drive for me was the 60 miles to the IVA. Rear drive shaft came off on a blind corner on a A-road smashing the suspension arms.

Police riot van full of coppers stopped and pushed me off the road.

nick205

posted on 3/11/17 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Took it easy on my first drive to the SVA and back.

Next drive with plates etc. I was guilty of testing the ability of the car

Daf

posted on 3/11/17 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Glad it's not just me then! It's funny as soon as it's on the road it feels like it's become a car not a collection of bits.

The story up there about the bike made me laugh - I passed my bike test and went straight out and bought myself a Ninja, naturally first thing I did was wind the throttle wide open and to this day I still don't know how I hung on to it!

tims31

posted on 3/11/17 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
I went for my first drive a couple of weeks ago and thought I must take it really steady just a very gentle one or two mile journey and come back and see what's fallen off.....

So I got 100 yards from the house turned onto the open road and buried the throttle to the floor and didn't turn around for at least 15 miles!!

Hmm, wish mine had been like that but my first drive out turned out to be 200 yards for the first five days. Although the car started and ran first time as soon as I gave the car a bit of throttle the car died and wouldn't start for 2 or 3 minutes. Turned out to be the fuel relay had burnt out and was cutting power to the fuel pump.

Since replacing the relay the car has run faultless since July and I've managed 650 miles and would have been more if it wasnt for the rubbish weather and working too often. Gradually getting the handling sorted now as at first it was wandering scarily all over the place.

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/11/17 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
my first kit car was a VW beetle based beach buggy.

1600cc, twin carbs, no weight, huge 4x4 tyres on the back, skinny car tyres on the front....thing was an total handful

Seemed every time I went out it tried to kill me and even came flying out roundabouts backwards

Sad to see it eventually go after 25 years of ownership but a lot safer for it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
froggy

posted on 3/11/17 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I did a few miles on my first drive and tore the diff out of the chassis on Thursday night . Took the car to work the next morning and repaired the chassis then drove down to Portsmouth got on a boat to Spain and drove it 2500 miles back to stoke on Trent .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

coozer

posted on 3/11/17 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Daf

posted on 3/11/17 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Was that on your first drive!?
mark chandler

posted on 3/11/17 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
2 years to build, drove it and hated it to low unable to drive it hard...

Put it in the track, loved it

I bought a v12 XJS, first drive oil cooler split so had it recovered home and fixed that and off down the petrol station for the first time of many and pulled out sharply to join the traffic, immediate 180 spin ended up going back in... Good car

Robbaa

posted on 30/11/17 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
first drive back was a two hour trip and freezing, wet and the steering was terrible whilst all the time being worried it was leaking coolant and with numb arse.

once home and dry and warm went out for another blast and it was amazing

AntonUK

posted on 1/12/17 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
WAs I the only one that really did just drive it up my road and back, less than half a mile.

2nd drive was to the MOT station 10miles away. Shit scared of stuff falling off, but only thing that happened was the interior mirror came loose.

Build Photos Here

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.